PDA

View Full Version : Hypochondria is the absolute worst.

Tyler Patterson
10-02-2014, 01:26 AM
Current fear is the big C. I know it's extremely unlikely for someone my age to have cancer but i'm constantly fretting over it. Either myself getting it at 18 an it turning out to be terminal, or my mother or my father. My anxiety over my mother is probably the worst. She just turned 40 a month ago and as some of you in the US know, they start doing mammograms at 40. We don't have too high risk of cancer in our family. My grandfathers mother had bone cancer and on my mothers side there's been 3 cases of cancer between my grandfathers brothers and sisters. Granted 3 out of 19 kids isn't all to crazy. Still all these fears run through my head for no apparent reasons. *sigh* Hypochondria is the worst

NixonRulz
10-02-2014, 05:21 PM
Current fear is the big C. I know it's extremely unlikely for someone my age to have cancer but i'm constantly fretting over it. Either myself getting it at 18 an it turning out to be terminal, or my mother or my father. My anxiety over my mother is probably the worst. She just turned 40 a month ago and as some of you in the US know, they start doing mammograms at 40. We don't have too high risk of cancer in our family. My grandfathers mother had bone cancer and on my mothers side there's been 3 cases of cancer between my grandfathers brothers and sisters. Granted 3 out of 19 kids isn't all to crazy. Still all these fears run through my head for no apparent reasons. *sigh* Hypochondria is the worst

That I would agree with!

Health anxiety just sucks. Pick your poison. Heart, cancer. Oh, and ALS has gained a few scared followers from all the bucket challenges

A good rule: wait two weeks to see if your symptoms persist before you decide you have cancer.

gypsylee
10-02-2014, 07:09 PM
I have to admit I found it a bit amusing how the ice bucket challenge caused ALS anxiety.

;)

Tyler Patterson
10-02-2014, 09:45 PM
I'll have to admit i did have an insane bit of ALS anxiety. Although mine wasn't caused simply from the fear i had it, although that's how it started. I experienced and still do experience twitches all over my body. Now just randomly fearing you'll get it is pretty wild

Ahlstrom
10-02-2014, 10:47 PM
I know what you mean. I live 5 minutes away from Texas Presbyterian, the hospital in dallas where ebola was confirmed. My mother works there as a nurse too. The past few days I haven't been feeling well... Stomach discomfort, nothing bad at all but I've been having major panic attacks.. Probably the common flu at worst. The anxiety I'm getting down here in dallas itself is making me feel nauseous.

Enduronman
10-03-2014, 05:02 AM
I know what you mean. I live 5 minutes away from Texas Presbyterian, the hospital in dallas where ebola was confirmed. My mother works there as a nurse too.

That hospital sure didn't handle things well. A day after they just had a drill on how to deal with ebola.
Some guy shows up and says he just came from Liberia, had all the symptoms, and they sent him home after treating him and giving him antibiotics.
I don't believe that you have anything to worry about unless your Mom was the nurse that treated him.
I bet the people that did treat him, are having some serious anxiety about it all now and he spent 2 days at home with his family afterwards.
Texas Presbyterian really screwed this one up bad. And I'm sure they're feeling the heat now too.
You don't have cancer Tyler, and you don't have ebola Ahlstrom...You're more likely to get hit by lightening 3 times, or win the lottery twice. Call me if you do! Friends!
Have a good day!

E-Man :)

JohnC
10-03-2014, 05:12 AM
My health anxiety can take a perfectly fine day and turn it into a miserable one and it happens often, unfortunately. I was sure that i was terminal at least 20 times in the last 40+ years.

sweetdaytx
10-10-2014, 04:22 PM
Currently struggling right now...convinced that the pain down my right leg must be MS or bone cancer or something awful. . I have a slight cold as well so that must be a symptom of something horrible. I'm 27 and I've been like this most of my life. Worrying about all of my family members as well. Still do. Finally saw a dr to see how to cope with these non stop 'what if' thoughts!

TW4569
10-14-2014, 12:08 AM
I know how you feel. My dad has an aortic aneurysm that his doctors are monitoring, so naturally I assume I have one too (despite not having one show up on the abdominal ultrasound I had for an unrelated reason less than three months ago). When my anxiety makes my heart race and pound in bed, I wonder, "Hmm, is my aorta ruptured and filling my abdominal cavity with blood, and my heart is speeding up in an attempt to keep my blood pressure up?" It's maddening. No matter how many times I survive my imagined health crises, I always think this one is the one.

One thing that honestly helps me is reading through the "Anxiety Symptoms - The List" and "The Quick Guide to Stopping Panic Attacks" threads, both stickied at the top of this forum. Seeing my heart-related "symptoms" amongst the list of stuff caused by anxiety and nothing else is reassuring. Unfortunately, I only have a desktop PC that isn't in my bedroom, so I can't pull them up on a smart phone or tablet or laptop when I'm having an attack in bed (where most of mine occur).