PDA

View Full Version : Magnesium Deficiency can cause Anxiety and Panic Attacks

JackieB
12-08-2005, 12:48 PM
FROM A MAGNESIUM WEBSITE:

http://www.ctds.info/5_13_magnesium.html#anxiety

Anxiety and Psychiatric Disorders
Magnesium deficiency causes increased levels of adrenaline, which can lead to a feeling of anxiety. Rats who become magnesium deficient have an increased level of urinary catecholamine excretion (a by-product of adrenaline).

Researchers in Spain found a correlation between anxiety disorders and hypermobility. In fact, they found that patients with anxiety disorder were over 16 times more likely than control subjects to have joint laxity. If you put the study results together, then there's a link between anxiety and hypermobility, a link between anxiety and mitral valve prolapse, and a link between mitral valve prolapse and hypermobility.

These studies tell us that anxiety disorders occur in many people who simply have mitral valve prolapse and/or joint hypermobility, meaning anxiety disorders are not specific to EDS or any particular connective tissue disorder. Marfans also have mitral valve prolapse and joint hypermobility which would lead one to conjecture that they, too, have anxiety related disorders. As it turns out, a connection between Marfans and anxiety related disorders has been noted.

A study in Bulgaria also found magnesium abnormalities in patients with schizophrenia and depression. The authors thought the schizophrenia and depression caused the magnesium deficiencies, but I disagree that that was necessarily the case. When you look at this study within the context of all the other studies mentioned in this section, it is more likely that the magnesium abnormalities caused the mental illness. (There are quite a few studies on magnesium and mental illness on Medline. I just included a few to highlight my points.)

In a study from England, there was a strong association for more disturbed and excitable patients to have abnormal (either high or low) magnesium levels. The authors thought that the patients who seemed most disturbed may have some abnormality of magnesium metabolism.

For more on this topic, see the section on Anxiety and Depression - overlooked nutritional causes at http://www.ctds.info/5_13_magnesium.html#anxiety

shoe
12-08-2005, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the article and link Jackie, thats pretty interesting. I know I've read about MVP (mitral valve prolapse) being the cause of panic attacks in some people, but didn't know about Magnesium deficiencies being a cause for some too. So many things to consider, no wonder doctors misdiagnose illnesses so often.

dan

Anxious Abi
02-06-2014, 09:21 AM
There "isn't a substitute for correcting a biological mineral deficiency."
I have read and re-read varying opinions from different sources about getting more magnesium into daily diet and the benefits, and understandably I have been pretty confused by it all.
I have come to believe that taking it can only help it can't hurt, but am still left a little confused.
I'm stood there, Pharmacy again, I'm shaking, I can't concentrate, my vision is shot, and i'm struggling to take in what is actually going on.
I find, Magnesium with Calcium and Zinc, Magnesium in a Liquid, Magnesium flakes? You put in water and stick your feet in? I became increasingly frustrated and frankly didn't want to ask for advice again, after she pretty much told me not to buy it yesterday.
I think I read somewhere liquid is better, 'cause it absorbs faster, but sadly my memory is shot too.
Look at all those I's. I this, I that...I am hoping like others on here that addressing this deficiency will help, in any way. Smell that desperation.
Which do I pay the pennies for?
As always, any wisdom is hugely appreciated, especially as I myself am yet to accumulate any.
Thanks.

Dahila
02-06-2014, 09:26 AM
What about having a banana a day and a piece of dark chocolate. It will cover the needs,

Anxious Abi
02-06-2014, 09:33 AM
Really? Brilliant, then i'm probably not even deficient in the first place. Thank you Dahila, simple but effective.
Got myself all worked up over nothing, again.

jessed03
02-06-2014, 09:41 AM
I love when old threads get bumped :)

The internet is so hard to find info from sometimes. One person says one thing, the other disagrees, the medical authority says it's own thing. It's like who do I believe. Trying to find some answers to some health problems online has made me super anxious in the past too!

If you ever wanna take some magnesium, just take the Solgar one. You can buy it online or in most health shops. Costs around £8, it makes me feel really relaxed after taking it. It's good quality. :)

Time to eat a piece of dark chocolate too!

alankay
02-06-2014, 10:19 AM
I have to admit to my surprise I have felt less anxious by adding D3 and magnesium supplements along with l-tryptophan. I tried them before but you have to keep taking them to help as the nutrients need time to build back up....I guess. Alankay

Dahila
02-06-2014, 10:23 AM
Really? Brilliant, then i'm probably not even deficient in the first place. Thank you Dahila, simple but effective.
Got myself all worked up over nothing, again.

I am hard on natural way of getting magnesium or others. Abi romaine lettuce is good for it too. At the moment I take 4 000 U of D3, can not hurt, I am in house not much in the garden with the temps:)) Canada's temps...

Anxious Abi
02-25-2014, 05:03 AM
I love when old threads get bumped :)

The internet is so hard to find info from sometimes. One person says one thing, the other disagrees, the medical authority says it's own thing. It's like who do I believe. Trying to find some answers to some health problems online has made me super anxious in the past too!

If you ever wanna take some magnesium, just take the Solgar one. You can buy it online or in most health shops. Costs around £8, it makes me feel really relaxed after taking it. It's good quality. :)

Time to eat a piece of dark chocolate too!

Finally bought the one you recommended today. I'm hoping it helps me feel a little more relaxed. Many thanks for the advice jessed03.

GeneAllen
02-25-2014, 05:50 AM
Take a magnesium supplement. 400-500 mg a day Magnesium Chloride, the dirt food is grown in is absent of magnesium for the past 50 years (thank you industrial food

suppliers). Take Vit D3, and do it for a

few weeks. If you see no changes I'll be very surprised. As far as foods eat greens and yellows, they have some nutrients, not much though. Bananas stabilize blood sugars

when eaten upon waking, no white sugars, no aspartame or chemical sweeteners, use honey instead (it's a natural anti bacterial too). Forget about all diet drinks. Look at all

the videos from Dr. Hyman you can stand. Vinegar (apple cider) great, mix with honey low heat and drink for colds, sore throats. Drink a pint of Jack Daniels everyday before

work, this will not do any good for you, it just makes bad music sound great, makes you think you're taller, skinnier, faster, and tougher than anyone else. LOL That last one

was a joke of course. :D

A cup of peace to all