PDA

View Full Version : Caffeine and antidepressants

superchick22684
09-23-2014, 02:07 AM
After being on Lexapro for four weeks and having a lot of side effects my doctor decided to switch me over to Cymbalta which I've been on previously (like 7 years ago). Things have been going well minimal issues (slight stomach upset and some anxiety). I decided that I wanted to have something caffeinated today. After having only a few sips its pretty obvious that my caffeine tolerance is less on this med or I'm having some sort of interaction. Has anyone had any issues drinking caffeinated drinks on antidepressants? I don't remember having this issue the last time I was on Cymbalta.

Surfside
09-23-2014, 03:50 AM
Yes.

I've had something similar happen to me while on antidepressants. Lexapro did not work for me, but, I would imagine this is the case with most antidepressants. I was on Zoloft and Buspar. I noticed that caffeine made me a lot more jittery than normal. Of course, I'm currently off my meds, and use natural treatments. I'm in no way advocating people go the route I'm going, I just feel its best for myself.

Best of luck, and I hope you and your doctor will be better able to help you out with your concerns.

Dahila
09-23-2014, 08:14 AM
Coffee will make you jittery a bit , but our mind do it the most. I was on AD and others and always enjoy my cup of coffee actually 3 of them. :)) Focusing on every symptom makes people jittery. Cymbalta can make you feel like that for at least three to six weeks. Usually people feel great after 14 days of taking it. It is good medication:)

superchick22684
09-23-2014, 01:48 PM
Thanks Surfside and Dahila, I didn't have much caffeine but I felt really jittery. Earlier this summer I had something caffeinated and after a short time got really warm and felt like I was going to pass out. Pretty much going to chalk up what I'm experiencing to a sensitivity to caffeine. However against my better judgement I googled (I know) and seratonin syndrome came up and of course I started freaking out that I would develop it. So far I think my body is just freaking out and my anxiety is making everything worse. Google is evil.

happylife
09-23-2014, 05:08 PM
Have you tried speaking with your regular doctor about this. It could provide you with some help here too. :)

Dahila
09-23-2014, 07:24 PM
superchick believe me is worse to deprived yourself of every pleasure than to indulge in one from time to time. I love coffee and anxiety or not, I drink it:))I could not make it without morning coffee:)

happylife
09-24-2014, 06:48 AM
How does the coffee mix with the medications. Just wondering if either cancels out with the caffeine?

http://www.relax.com-inspired.com/free-ebook

Dahila
09-24-2014, 07:55 AM
I do not think there is any interaction meds and coffee :))) that's funny even consider it