PDA

View Full Version : im breathing but feel like im suffocating?..

angie102938
09-22-2014, 08:23 PM
im 17 and off and on i get shortness of breath, and sometimes this feeling like im suffocating and im not actually getting air when i am. its very hard to explain the feeling, its scary because sometimes i feel like im going to die or i feel like i should do something at the moment right then like go to the ER. but i have been to the doctor for anxiety and they did a blood test to see if my thyroid was working to hard and all that stuff, and they said i was fine. i sort of think its asthma, but i can take full breathes and it feels like i fill up my lungs but it just doesnt feel satisfying enough. im not stressed out or panicked or even nervous when this happens, i can just be laying there, at school, playing video games and i feel that way. and the weirdest part is it happened while i was trying to sleep last night, i was very tired and decided to sleep, not stressed or anything like that, as i was falling asleep i felt like i was suffocating each time i shut my eyes, i woke up gasping for air and it made me panic and made it worse, i was so panicked and scared i started to cry, i dont know whats wrong with me. the doctor said im fine, they didnt check my lungs or anything, but she did recommend a psychiatrist, but my dad doesnt want me to take anti-depressants or anything, because he said once you start taking them, you dont wanna stop (personal experience from my family). so am i stuck like this forever? and is it just anxiety? im not anxious or panicky it just happens, even when im about to sleep which is even weirder. its a scary feeling that people with anxiety just dont understand so people dont seem to take me seriously.. i tell my dad and he just says not to think about it and to stay calm but i cant when it feels like your suffocating, and i dont even think about it when it happens most of the time..sorry this is long:(
help? (btw im new to this site so sorry if this is to long than a usual post)

Enduronman
09-23-2014, 06:27 AM
Go back to the doctor to rule out these breathing issues before you label it as anxiety friend..
No, you aren't stuck like this forever but you have to rule things out.
Welcome to the forums!

E-Man :)