PDA

View Full Version : Situational Anxiety Morphing Into GAD?

Kuma
09-21-2014, 05:09 PM
At first, I had no noticeable anxiety. That lasted for many years. Then, a few years ago I found that I had some situational anxiety. Something would happen in my life and I would become anxious about that -- sometimes extremely anxious. For example, my father died of a particular illness and I found that I had a substantially elevated risk of the same illness -- and that caused me a lot of anxiety. Or I made an error of judgment and I became anxious about the consequences that might ensue. (This happened more often than I would have liked -- in part because I have tended to hold myself to a pretty high standard). Or issues in my marriage and family relationships would lead to anxiety about those things. The anxiety was very troubling and quite difficult to deal with. But at least I could tie it to specific issues or events.

Increasingly, I am feeling more of a generalized anxiety. When I read the symptoms of GAD, I have many of them. I feel anxious even when there is no particular event or risk or concern that my anxiety seems tied to. There are entire days -- sometimes -- when I feel a general sense of stress or tension. And I often awake anxious and really have to put in effort to drag myself out of bed and start the day.

My anxiety is not disabling. I meet my family obligations, engage in some recreational activities (nice dinners out, vacations, etc.), and hold down a demanding senior-level professional/managerial job. But the anxiety certainly impacts on my quality of life. And the apparent transformation of my anxiety from situational to more generalized is quite troubling. I feel like when it is tied to specific risks or events, I can deal with that more easily than when I am "just anxious."

I am not sure why I am writing this. I guess I am interested in whether others here have seen this transformation from situational anxiety to more generalized anxiety, and how you have dealt with that.

Best wishes.

Im-Suffering
09-21-2014, 05:25 PM
Increasingly, I am feeling more of a generalized anxiety. When I read the symptoms of GAD, I have many of them. I feel anxious even when there is no particular event or risk or concern that my anxiety seems tied to. There are entire days -- sometimes -- when I feel a general sense of stress or tension. And I often awake anxious and really have to put in effort to drag myself out of bed and start the day.

August 25 when you began to feel concerned and made the original thread I gave you the answer:

"The nature of your personal beliefs in a large measure directs the
kinds of emotions you will have at any given time. You will feel
aggressive, happy, despairing, or determined according to events
that happen to you, your beliefs about yourself in relation to them,
and your ideas of who and what you are. You will not understand your
emotions unless you know your beliefs. It will seem to you that you
feel aggressive or upset without reason, or that your feelings sweep
down upon you without cause if you do not learn to listen to the
beliefs within your own conscious mind, for they generate their own emotions"

You do not believe in me, therefor you cannot accept my answer, even as it rings true. And of course, it takes some work, and involves a keen inner sense and connection with your feelings. Something you may have forgotten in lieu of a demanding "outer" life

Kuma
09-21-2014, 06:25 PM
Thanks I'm Suffering. I am interested in your statement "you do not believe in me." Should I believe in you? What is your background (to the extent you feel comfortable sharing it)? Do you have expertise or knowledge beyond what other people have? If so, how did you acquire this expertise or knowledge? Was it through academic study, or personal experience, or something else?

I do agree with you that the demands of my "outer" life limited, for a long time, my connectedness to my own feelings. I was too busy dealing with the demands of the moment. Regards, Kuma