PDA

View Full Version : Always fearing the worst

snowberry
09-15-2014, 05:33 PM
I suppose most of us here do this to some extent. Many of us are maybe always expecting the worst outcome for anything we do, or fearing that random crazy things will happen to us.

For example, if you hear about something grisly and terrifying on the news, you wonder about the possibility of it happening to you, of how horrible it would be to happen, how you must prevent it from happening at all costs. Or maybe you routinely find yourself imagining the worst possible thing happening to you and almost testing your imagination to see how bad it can go before you actually start to feel sick with apprehension.

I've been like this my whole life. I want to live abroad next year but constantly worry about the worst case scenarios (plane crashes, hating the experience, becoming a victim of crime). I mean, how exactly does one cope with a mind that is constantly trying to find new ways to make you not want to leave your house ever? I'm thankfully not agoraphobic but I'm almost always on edge when I leave the house.

What have been your experiences with fearing the worst and worrying about really horrible but unlikely things happening to you? How do you cope with that?

hugo_v
09-15-2014, 08:26 PM
Hi Snowberry,

What helped me was simply trying to remember what I was anxious about exactly one year ago ...

As you could imagine I couldn't remember and that helped convince myself that the worst case scenario was highly unlikely !

Hope this helps and good luck

P.S. You should go for it, live abroad, take a chance !

Enduronman
09-16-2014, 07:08 AM
if you hear about something grisly and terrifying on the news..I've been like this my whole life. How do you cope with that?

I don't watch, listen to, or read anything about things that are grizzly and terrifying.
I ignore the pressures of the outside World....
I have enough pressures of my own.

E-Man.

JohnC
09-16-2014, 09:42 AM
I am with you on that snowberry. I always assume the worst is going to happen. I hated to think about flying for fear of the long way down during a crash and how horrifying it would be. I have actually managed to fly several times one flight being 7 hours but it is always a tough one for me and i am so glad when i am on the ground and back home. But, i assume the worst ALL the time with stuff and i hate it. I have got to stop watching and reading so much news. I wish they had a " feel good " news channel with nothing but good news and none of the killing, terrorists, drought, new diseases etc,etc.

Enduronman
09-16-2014, 09:56 AM
I watch cartoons all day! YAY!!

E-Man :)

Dahila
09-16-2014, 12:02 PM
I am with you on that snowberry. I always assume the worst is going to happen. I hated to think about flying for fear of the long way down during a crash and how horrifying it would be. I have actually managed to fly several times one flight being 7 hours but it is always a tough one for me and i am so glad when i am on the ground and back home. But, i assume the worst ALL the time with stuff and i hate it. I have got to stop watching and reading so much news. I wish they had a " feel good " news channel with nothing but good news and none of the killing, terrorists, drought, new diseases etc,etc.
So am I.... always my imagination is running wild, but look snowberry I could be your granma, so long with anxiety and still kicking. I quess my life is good. Lately very good. I am still scared of something bad happening. Usually when something happen it is not as bad as we imagined:)

snowberry
09-16-2014, 01:05 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies! I avoid the news/newspapers like crazy, but unfortunately some things just get shoved in your face, particularly on the internet or a careless remark from a friend or relative.

I've only been on flights that last two hours before. The flight I would be going on is about 12 hours, so naturally I'm terrified. I will definitely go but I just don't want to spend the whole time in anxiety. I want to be able to enjoy myself and not worry all the time. I guess that's the joy of anxiety. I keep telling myself that a change of scene may produce a happier snowberry.

Exactice
09-16-2014, 02:57 PM
Im not going to lie.... I am my worst enemy but somehow I work it out. What do I mean? I am an adrenaline junkie.... I look for stupid things to do but that of course raises my anxiety and my panic and then I go in to this whirlwind of a mess.... So stupid. The only way I get past it though is remind myself "Well I did (X) thing and survived it... I probably could survive (X)thing that comes around"

I know it sounds stupid but for what ever reason its challenges to help me get over my anxiety. But I do try to avoid movies and videos that could spark some flare ups though. So I do try to keep it in check. Its weird I do pick an choose at least when it could be something that could really get me going.