PDA

View Full Version : Anti-biotics and Fear of an allergic reaction..

bassetpower
09-15-2014, 01:59 PM
Good afternoon,

I went to the Dr. yesterday for a UTI. I expressed my issues with anxiety, so they gave me a look over and said everything appeared to be fine. I've never had an allergic reaction to any medication before. So there isn't any reason I should believe I will have one now. But after reading all the 'side-effects' I'm sending myself into a full blown anxiety attack.

Has anyone experienced something similar? The doctor said it was rare to have an allergic reaction, but when they do occur it is important to go and be seen right away. The reaction generally causes tounge/throat swelling and difficulty breathing.. which difficulty breathing and a choking sensation are my biggest symptoms of anxiety. I'm 90% sure what i'm feeling right now is all in my head, but I can't get the thought that I'm reacting badly out of my head. My throat feels obnoxiously tight and like there's a cement-block on my chest.

Just thought I'd reach out and see if anyone else has had similar situations with prescribed medication? Any one have a bad reaction to anti-biotics?

Thank you, I would really appreciate hearing others experiences.

Enduronman
09-15-2014, 02:43 PM
I can't say that I've ever had a bad reaction to them and I take many, many different medications.
I think and believe all of this to be in your head too...
So take the medications and get well.

E-Man :)

JohnC
09-15-2014, 03:00 PM
Hey, i actually had an allergic reaction to cipro. It was quit the ordeal but no worries. I took the pill at the doctors office and then drove over to see my wife ( girlfriend at that time ). When i got there i felt weird ( more than normal weird :) ) I asked her if i had bugs crawling in my hair and the look i got was scary. She say's i don't know about any bugs but your face is swelling up! So i called the doc and they said get over here quick and i drove myself all the way back and they were waiting on me at the door with a shot of epinephrine. All is good.

bassetpower
09-15-2014, 03:17 PM
Did you begin to feel the itchiness right away, or in other words did it take just a little while after your first dose to feel the allergic reaction? Now that I've calmed down a little I'm realizing that what I'm feeling is just my run-of-the-mill anxiety symptoms. I'm rather new to dealing with anxiety & it still just amazes me how quickly & a strong a panic attack can come on.

Thank you for sharing. I'm happy it was easily resolved.

JohnC
09-15-2014, 04:29 PM
It did not take very long at all after the first pill. I would say it was within 15 minutes or less from the time i took the pill until the time i thought that there was a bug infestation taking place on my head. I can not take cipro but i have taken a lot of other antibiotics of the last 30 years and never had a problem.

Dahila
09-15-2014, 07:02 PM
Taking for me aspirin takes about 25 minutes to die, I am allergic to a lot of medication but never have bad reaction to antibiotics, It is really rare.
John did you throat start closing or it was just hives?
Anaphylaxis is a serious allergic reaction that is rapid in onset and may cause death. It typically causes a number of symptoms including an itchy rash, throat swelling, and low blood pressure. Common causes include insect bites/stings, foods, and medications.
Everytime I think I could have allergic reaction I am kind of getting some symptoms, but after clonazepam they dissapear.

hugo_v
09-15-2014, 08:17 PM
This seems like another case of health anxiety.

As Dahila mentioned if you had an anaphylactic reaction to ATB you would already be dead...

Breathe, relax and take action to understand and conquer your anxiety.

Goos luck !

JohnC
09-16-2014, 04:54 AM
I can't remember Dahlia for sure. I know that my face swelled and it was like it started at the top of my head and worked it's way down my face. It was very quick. I wasted no time in getting back to doc. only thing i haver had a reaction to.

Dahila
09-16-2014, 11:59 AM
John I had the same reaction but it was on aspirin and honey bee sting. So far only the two things. acetylsalicylic acid or ASA ; all meds with it, is out of question. Many painkillers have it, so I need to watch for that. I got hives too, and they move all over my head, face and neck, arms down to the waist, it was awful.

JohnC
09-16-2014, 12:11 PM
Dahila, do you keep a epie penn handy at home or purse for bee stings and such. My Dad and i had honey bees when i was a teenager. Quick funny story: one day i was walking by the hives and something flew up my britches so in a panic i was not sure wether to try and kill it or drop my pants ( thats a sensative area ). I just dropped my pants in front of every body but it turned to be just a damn FLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!:o

Dahila
09-16-2014, 07:20 PM
I had one John but is already out of date, due the garden I need to have one. fly hehehehe I do understand it so well:))