PDA

View Full Version : My story, and now the emptiness

Lilac
09-12-2014, 07:29 AM
I do not expect you to read the whole text, but if you do, thank you!

It is a weird thing how you manage to overcome your obstacles, yet you cannot settle down with everything being just "fine".

I have had only a few moments like this in my life. From the age of 5-6 until today (25), I have been a perfectionist and control freak. As a child I begged my mother to let me vacuum my own room and iron my own curtains, because she no longer did it the way I wanted. I had difficulties sharing my toys with the other children, not because of greediness or anything, but because they did not take care of my toys or did not play with them the way I wanted them to. I never tried controlling other people, though, I just wanted to maintain control of my own stuff. My room was always perfectly clean an tidy, and lord have mercy on those who tried to move my toys even an inch from where I have placed them. I would fire up and start to cry or become mad. I was about 7-8 at that time.

I had difficulties doing anything wrong, and I could start crying over minor errors on a test at school, writing errors, etc. One time when I was 8 years old my teacher had corrected a small essay I had written for Norwegian class, and to me the mistakes were so many I could not even look at them. I became sad and lost all my self confidence for that day. Granted I had fewer errors than most of the other pupils, but I did not care about that. I wanted my essay to be perfect without flaws or errors in it. How can an 8 year-old child expect to have the writing skills of an adult?

Mathematics was probably the only subject in school I never made an effort to learn properly. I could never see the point or the logic. Being a perfectionist, I wanted to learn it, but math is not something you can learn so easily. You have to study harder. To me, everything I could not learn immediately was not worth continuing with because I would never understand it anyway. So I gave up.

Like said, I never controlled other people, but I was a perfectionist and control freak towards myself. And because of that I became very careful not to step on anyone's toes or offend anyone. A good quality indeed, but other children realized they could do whatever they wanted with me and command me as they pleased. I was never ever bullied, and I have always had good friends. But one of my closest friends became very controlling of me. She could say bad things about me or my family, and she wanted me to do everything for her. Our personalities were very different. One time she locked me in her room because she would not let me go home (we were 7 years old and it was close to bed time and I had to go home). I started panicking and screamed and screamed. Her father came, yelled at hear and I ran home. She did not speak to me for weeks.

There is much more, but I am not going to go in to every detail. Just saying that my personality as a child shaped me into becoming the person that I am today: a shy introvert, perfectionist and an extreme control freak. I have managed to go through life quite well, with the most loving family and friends, a generally good childhood, soon a masters degree and a fiancé. My life seems perfect outside, and it is "perfect" outside.

But inside, in my brain, things have been far less straightforward and easy. I have achieved many goals, I truly have. At least I have achieved everything I want to achieve. My perfectionism has not approved of anything else. As a teenager my perfectionism started interfering in every aspects of my life. So, I started behaving the opposite way: I stopped caring about myself, started self-harming, did not care about my school works and did not get the best grades, etc. I was generally pessimistic, depressed and a little hostile towards my parents, friends and teachers, but I was still a "good girl". I guess I just wanted someone to notice the pain I had inside me despite my seemingly "perfect" life. I wanted someone to see that I was not perfect. I was in a constant fight with my own brain, and demanded more of myself than anyone else did. Nothing I ever did or said was good enough for me. I could be better, skinnier, more good looking, nicer. I was not good enough ever. For myself. And I think my non-perfect behaviour was kind of a rebellion against my own brain.

It became better in high school, and I started caring about schoolwork and my grades again. I met my boyfriend, and we were a bit on and off, which made my self-esteem go down again. I never knew where I had him. But all in all high school was very nice, and I climbed up from an average of D to becoming a B+ student.

I started at the University in 08. In high school, my perfectionism grew due to my good grades and I became ambitious. Even more demands, becoming the best University student ever. In some way it was motivational, but I started destroying myself because I was never satisfied with my efforts at the University, despite the fact that I obtained my bachelor's degree with an A on my dissertation and once again an average of B+. Good enough to start with a masters programme, but not good enough for me. I still felt stupid, and I believed I was just lucky to get good grades or the professors were drunk when they graded my papers. Self-harming continued and I developed an eating disorder in 2010, when some of my friends started working out; I wanted to look perfect, and wanted to be better than them. I also started to brainwash myself, thinking that I had done something I never did, and created situations that never happened. I went a year living in a different world than everyone else. I did not recognize my own way of thinking. I was afraid no one really liked me, because I am not good enough. I was sure my boyfriend would leave me anytime (which he has done, and that did not help with my already non-existing self-esteem), that my friends hated me, and my parents had given me up. I hated the way I looked, but most of all I hated my own person. My whole life I have been like this, and everyone I am close to has said "there has always been some problems with you. You have always had problems". I started identify myself with that way of thinking - once I overcome one thing, I create something knew. I developed GAD and became worried and anxious about every aspects of my life, from my relationship with my loved ones, to my economy, education, personality, looks, social settings, children, and the world in general.

I have already talked about my recent health anxiety. When my health anxiety took over, my eating disorder, which was my main issue at that time, almost disappeared. And now that my health anxiety is gone, I have nothing left. Because I cannot feel my eating disorder either. It comes every now and then, and I have some drawbacks. But generally, I just don't care.

My brain is stressed and anxious, because I have overcome my worst issues. My brain is continuously trying to find something new for me to worry about. Like now I start to worry about new symptoms, or worry that the ALS anxiety or eating disorder may come back. But I have learned new techniques from my therapist, and I do not believe in everything my brain wants me to believe anymore. I am worth more, I am good as I am. I am not ill, nor do I need to be skinny and "perfect". I do not want to fight for that anymore.

But my perfectionism wants its space. It is like I cannot live a life without a single worry. To be honest, that actually terrifies me. I have always been worried or self-destructive, and I have never truly enjoyed my life or waking up in the morning without a major issue.

I think that in a way, I cannot accept that I can live a happy life.

I work so hard not to dwell, and just live my life, but although I am grateful for the freedom I feel now, I cannot help but thinking that I am not supposed to be free.

An extremely long and confusing post maybe, and I apologize for any typing errors (see, there you have my brain pointing out my flaws before anyone else does). I know people have it far worse than I do, but perhaps there are some of you who can relate to this?

Also, I am NOT looking for sympathy...

Steven Miller
09-12-2014, 07:46 AM
I can relate to this very much. I was a perfectionist, needed control, had anxiety, and didn't care. But now I am better, mostly.

My question is, what are you doing with your new freedom? What do you live for now? What did you look forward to when you woke up this morning? What do you expect to look forward to when you wake up tomorrow?

I don't mean, "What are you planning to do today and tomorrow". I mean what are you looking forward to enjoying today and tomorrow.

Lilac
09-12-2014, 08:01 AM
Well, those are hard questions. I just.... live. And I am not completely "free" as I do spend time worrying about what comes next. Like said, this is my pattern. But I guess I look forward to take a nice walk in the sunny autumn air, reading more inspirational literature for my thesis, watching a good TV show. What I look forward to when I wake up kind of depends on what my plans are that day, but lately I have just been happy for another day without ALS. I look forward to eat my breakfast, which is my favourite meal of the day. I look forward to say good morning to my budgie, and hear him singing and chirping for me (I love birds. You know, free as a bird)

I am sad to say that I do not remember joyous moments from last month - I have not been very social or done anything special. I look forward to my fiancé coming home from work so that we can talk and watch our favourite TV shows together. This moment I enjoy my own company, tomorrow I hope to be enjoying the party I am going to. I enjoy every meal I eat, which is a very huge step.

There is one thing I am really looking forward to, which I wasn't when my ALS anxiety was at its worst, and that is travelling to Brussels in Belgium in late November. I love Belgium; it is my second home. I lived there for six months in spring semester of 2013, and I really enjoyed myself there. That was when I really started taking major steps in combating my eating disorder. I love Brussels and Belgium in general, and I would probably have lived there if I had no "obligations" in Norway.

You know, when addressing your questions I feel kind of awful for not being able to give "better answers" (perfectionist talking again) or come up with anything enjoyable, exciting, etc.

Im-Suffering
09-12-2014, 08:08 AM
I think that in a way, I cannot accept that I can live a happy life

You are very creative, that's why I was always drawn to your posts. They are like screenplays, little dramas in themselves. Regardless of your school degree you would excel in the arts. Music, writing, drawing, clipping, sewing, acting......stuck in the "rules" of a normal life you innately resent. And if you can catch a glimpse of that resentment, or feeling, restrictions, you'll know what I mean. An artsy person generally has no conventional boundaries, their works push against them.

So if you can understand, and that's a big if, you are innately creative, boundless. Those abilities conflict with your beliefs surrounding control, perfectionism, as a child unaware to you, you were taught the rules of life, period. These rules are to restrictive for such a creative soul, thus you are always bouncing against these beliefs. You do not even know you have a slant towards the arts, for your too focused on the real world, colored by your beliefs. Every bit of your life, school, fiancé, parents, environment, it is all restrictive, and you feel it.

Since you hold these beliefs, and yes, perfectionism is a belief, the arts seem only to be a dream, or appear dreamlike as you daydream about certain latent passions. But they make you feel good. You hate writing long posts here about anxiety and your troubles, but you love writing, period.

Should you break free of the chains, and explore the arts, in any form, that could be your release, little bits here and there, getting your feet wet.

When you are not expressing who you are there will be turmoil as you express what someone else wants you to be, and you have been doing this unconsciously since the little child was told to do this or that, be this or that, for their own good.

Now very few people understand me on this message board, but I hope you do, at least periodically. I hope you understand me now.

Pick up an instrument, a pen and paper, a music sheet, a poem, study a new instrument, study the arts, acting, improv, writers groups, classes in painting, author lectures. And so forth, allow the creative self expression.

The control and perfectionism are part of the arts you see, and you have developed that. The singer controls the voice and tone, the author controls the script, the musician practices until perfection in his terms, the painter has controlled strokes even amidst the freewheeling nature of creativity.

You do not have to surpress anxiety, you have to freely express your creativity, and explore new directions for it. New avenues of expression. There you will be fulfilled.

My wish is that you click with this message. Go and think about it for a while. Do you think our meetings here are by chance? And my messages flippant and everyday folly? Don't you know who I am?

As you are typing I am reading your mind and answering, I have answered here even before you typed it out. The world is not always as it seems, now. That should break some boundaries. And set you free, period.

Do not answer me back with a scripted performance, instead go dream a little, and explore new possibilities for expression. New possibilities dreamed of in the image-ination.

Steven Miller
09-12-2014, 10:15 AM
I love Belgium; it is my second home. I lived there for six months in spring semester of 2013, and I really enjoyed myself there.

That's great! I have not yet had the opportunity to travel much and it is something I am really looking forward to in the next several years. Who knows where. I love culture and I have a lot of energy. Brussels seems like a good place to visit. I love new places. its so easy for us to accept that "this is the way things are" but when we travel we realize just how many different forms culture can take.

You know, when addressing your questions I feel kind of awful for not being able to give "better answers" (perfectionist talking again) or come up with anything enjoyable, exciting, etc.

It's good you have such a clear insight into your perfectionist tendencies. If you stick with it you will find a way to beat it. You are fortunate to have a strong intellect, it will help. This talk may also be helpful:

https://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability

Do me a favor, forget every other post here, except this one to you

I'd rather you didn't.

P.S. http://www.wikihow.com/Be-Yourself