PDA

View Full Version : Has twitching ever woke you up?

shakyshawn
09-10-2014, 04:14 PM
Hey folks,

I have a question about muscle twitching. About 4 months ago I had a major panic attack. Truthfully, I haven't felt right since. The day that it happened my left eyelid began twitching and has done it on and off with varying intensity ever since. I've seen a lot of doctors and none of them seems concerned about it. I've had a lot of test that all came back negative. Well, a about a month ago, I was relaxing on a break in the car at the local park, with my left shoulder sitting on the opened window. Suddenly my arm began to twitch. It was visible and did it for 2 days straight. I went to the doctor and she just laughed and said, "Yeah, that happens." So it does it off and on. Sometimes it's both arms and they can actually hurt afterward. But last night, it woke me up. Both arms were twitching and the muscles quivering so much (mainly the left) that I couldn't go back to sleep. Later that day, I couldn't hold my 18 month old godson for very long because my arm ached and felt so weak.
Now, there is no doubt that I have a severe anxiety problem. My GP actually told me he wouldn't see me for it anymore until I got counseling. I have most of the classic anxiety and panic symptoms and, anymore, they are active daily. (constant peeing, racing heart, occasional derealization and facial numbness...) I'm trying to come to grips with the idea that there isn't something more wrong with me.
Several weeks ago I went to the hospital on one of my bad anxiety oh-crap-this-is-the-big-one-here-I-come-Jesus! days, and the ER physician's assistant gave me a good work over. As he was checking me he said, "Hey, your face it twitching around your eye." When he came back later to send me home and tell me there is nothing wrong with me, he ended with, "By the way, you might want to see a neurologist. That twitching could be MS.
Thanks doc. Now I am obsessed with that idea...especially after what happened last night with the twitching waking me up.
My question to you guys is, has your twitching ever woken you? Do you feel sort of weak and sore in that area afterward? My grip seems fine and my reflexes seem okay. My arms are just weary and have a weird "crawling" feeling under the skin. I just wondered if I am alone in this?
Thanks so much!

philzoo
09-10-2014, 07:56 PM
Interesting, but take this reply with a pinch of salt as I don't really have high levels of anxiety or anything (that I know of, I am here for my girlfriend).

My left eye lid did twitch quite frequently for a while about a year a go. It was when I was very busy with university study, two jobs and a lot of event management work in the early hours of the morning! I was running myself into the ground, I was trying to do far too much. This was coupled with intense insomnia and a reoccurring gag reflex. I doubt any of this was aided by chain smoking and a lot of coffee.

I went to the doctor and had all sorts of tests done on me, everything came back negative. I was simply just too busy. I had too much on my plate.

I still often wake up from a sudden twitch in my leg or a slight body "jump" off the mattress.

briggs05
09-10-2014, 09:39 PM
Shawn- I have had twitching my entire life. Sometimes it's my eye, sometimes my leg and sometimes my arm. Nothing has ever come of it though. It's never woken me up, but I don't think that that is something to worry about i wouldn't worry too much about it unless there is strong pain associated with it. If not I wold just try to forget about it. Best.

shakyshawn
09-11-2014, 08:32 AM
Thanks, guys, for the kind replies. Glad I am not the only twitchy person out there!