PDA

View Full Version : Passionflower Tea

Kuma
09-10-2014, 04:10 PM
I have been thinking about trying this for a while, but had not done so. In part, that is because it is not available in stores near me, so I had to order it on line. Also, I usually don't like to take herbal remedies because they are not regulated in the same way as prescription medications and there is often relatively little high quality medical evidence of their safety or efficacy.

But my anxiety has been a bit worse than usual the past couple of weeks, so I decided to give it a try last night.

It worked great! I felt relaxed and a bit sleepy around a half hour after I drank a cup of tea. I got a good night's sleep. And for the first time in around ten days, I did not wake up feeling tense and anxious. Woke up feeling good.

Now, I am not recommending this to anyone else. I am not qualified to do that. I do not know whether it would be safe or effective for you. And I don't know what else you are taking that it might interact with. I am just reporting on my own very positive experience.

I probably will not take it regularly but it is good to know it's available. It was a much better experience than I had anticipated.

If you do a pubmed search for passionflower and anxiety, you will see a fair amount written on the subject.

DanielTLynch1990
09-10-2014, 06:00 PM
I never tried passionflower tea when I was suffering real bad anxiety. Chamomile tea certainly helped my recovery more than I ever could of imagined though, I think it is as you say the herbal side to it used to make me feel more at ease and calm within myself before I went to bed and when I woke up I didn't have them same sensations or feelings.

Dahila
09-10-2014, 08:27 PM
Passion flower tea is an excellent aid for anxiety :)

MJBoyle88
09-10-2014, 09:49 PM
I have been thinking about trying this for a while, but had not done so. In part, that is because it is not available in stores near me, so I had to order it on line. Also, I usually don't like to take herbal remedies because they are not regulated in the same way as prescription medications and there is often relatively little high quality medical evidence of their safety or efficacy.

But my anxiety has been a bit worse than usual the past couple of weeks, so I decided to give it a try last night.

It worked great! I felt relaxed and a bit sleepy around a half hour after I drank a cup of tea. I got a good night's sleep. And for the first time in around ten days, I did not wake up feeling tense and anxious. Woke up feeling good.

Now, I am not recommending this to anyone else. I am not qualified to do that. I do not know whether it would be safe or effective for you. And I don't know what else you are taking that it might interact with. I am just reporting on my own very positive experience.

I probably will not take it regularly but it is good to know it's available. It was a much better experience than I had anticipated.

If you do a pubmed search for passionflower and anxiety, you will see a fair amount written on the subject.

I'm glad somebody wrote about this! I have been on the fence about trying it because I'll take account of the one person who had irregular heart beats while using it. Everything else says it's generally safe. I lm just being a pussy basically. I don't have access to a doc, but I had a EKG halter monitor a year ago no problems, so I'm hoping there's no issues.

Anne1221
09-11-2014, 09:49 AM
Just be aware of what it says on WebMd and you should be okay:
Passionflower is LIKELY SAFE for most people when taken by mouth in amounts normally found in food. It is POSSIBLY SAFE when taken short-term (less than two months) as medicine or tea. It is POSSIBLY UNSAFE when taken by mouth in large amounts.

Passionflower can cause some side effects such as dizziness, confusion, irregular muscle action and coordination, altered consciousness, and inflamed blood vessels. There has also been a report of nausea, vomiting, drowsiness, a rapid heart rate, and abnormal heart rhythm in one person who took it.

There isn’t enough information to rate the safety of passionflower when applied to the skin.
Special Precautions & Warnings:
Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Don’t take passionflower if you are pregnant. It is UNSAFE. There are some chemicals in passionflower that might cause the uterus to contract.

Surgery: Passionflower can affect the central nervous system. Stop taking passionflower at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery.

nf1234
09-12-2014, 11:40 PM
Get the passionflower extract. Its in a dropper. If your weary start with just 1 drop. Then 2 the next day and so on. I ain't gonna bother you at that rate. I've done the research and its pretty damn safe.

Dahila
09-13-2014, 07:15 AM
Most herbs are safe when you know how to use them and what quantity. I think a bit of passion flower tea does not hurt. Extracts is my thingy. Easy to use and no mess with making tea;)

Enduronman
09-13-2014, 07:32 AM
Kava tea is pretty good too...
Numbs your tongue!
Glad that herbs are helping people, good news to read.
Have a good day all!

E-Man. :)

Kuma
09-13-2014, 10:01 AM
NF1234 -- you wrote: "I've done the research and its pretty damn safe."

I am interested in what you found. Can you point me to the studies or journal articles you found, during your research, that convinced you Passionflower Tea is safe?

I did a pubmed search and I did not find anything alarming, but the research quality generally seemed fairly weak (small observational studies, etc). So I was left with a conclusion of "probably relatively safe, but who the hell knows."

Admittedly I did not read every study, and I mostly relied on abstracts, so I am interested in what you found in your research. Thanks.