PDA

View Full Version : Does it get better?

bribee
09-09-2014, 05:58 AM
Hello this is my first time posting anything on here. I'm a 21 year old female from Michigan. My anxiety first started after I had a panic attack after eating way too many pot brownies. I had never had a panic attack but I've always had quite a bit of anxiety.
The panic attack happened in Mar. 2014 and ever since then I have felt on edge. My anxiety turned into very scary intrusive thoughts. They were horrible and felt so real. Those come and go. I had never had any intrusive thoughts before so they were even more terrifying. I was constantly thinking that I would become a serial killer or I was going to go crazy or turn psychotic. When in reality I wouldn't ever hurt anyone.*
More recently I've been having weird feelings of derealisation and I'll start to get weird thoughts like why are we here? What is the objective of life? Where will I go when I die? It is extremely distressing. I feel very disconnected and lost in my thoughts. The only time I don't think about*those things are when I'm keeping busy. But at night, or when I'm alone they come on with full force.
All these things are just pushing me over the edge and I don't know what to do.

Enduronman
09-09-2014, 06:12 AM
Hi Bribee!

I'm a 46 year old male from Indiana.
I have never had any pot brownies but have eaten some pot about 30 years ago.
Once the channels or circuitry for panic attacks has been fired, it makes future panic attacks more frequent or possible. The nervous system workings.
Have you discussed any of these issues with a doctor yet, and if not please do so as that is the first step towards recovery friend.
A doctor can help you to get these jumbled thoughts in order and also give you a referral to see a therapist too.
Welcome and hope that you have a better day today!

Enduronman :)

Kuma
09-09-2014, 10:32 AM
Sorry to sort of hijack Bribee's thread, but E-man can you explain this a bit more: "Once the channels or circuitry for panic attacks has been fired, it makes future panic attacks more frequent or possible. The nervous system workings"?

This is an issue that I have been interested in for some time, but have never been able to get a convincing explanation. Is there an established biochemical or neuropsychiatric explanation for increased susceptibility to anxiety after an initial attack? Or it this just something you have observed (as I have)?

TravisS
09-09-2014, 10:51 AM
First off, never eat pot brownies, 2nd off, what Enduronman said "Have you discussed any of these issues with a doctor yet, and if not please do so as that is the first step towards recovery friend.
A doctor can help you to get these jumbled thoughts in order and also give you a referral to see a therapist too.
Welcome and hope that you have a better day today!"

AceParadox
09-09-2014, 01:37 PM
My brother had horrible experiences with pot brownies. Just absolutely terrifying that I won't go into detail. Plainly, just avoid them like Travis says. If you like to smoke it too, it may have a negative effect coupled with anxiety (though there are arguments that different strains have different effects on anxiety; some increase, some decrease)

Anxiety can get better. There are many on this forum including myself who have cured themselves from this. When I was having panic attacks multiple times a day, I could hardly muster any positivity at first, but then I realized that life is really what you make it; lay curled up on the floor terrified, or fight back against it and learn to rule over fear as it has tried to rule over me and then live a happier life. Mostly, I saw anxiety as an opponent that thought he was better and stronger, so the only thing was to go full alpha-male and obliterate it. Anytime it had a go with me, I'd get 10x stronger - my mind started to go "wait...maybe I am stronger than I thought..." and eventually the giant became an ant - just like when you put a professional martial artist against a 6'9 300 pound goliath - the little one kicks the big one in the balls and it fall to his level - then a knee to the face and the big one is gone. :]

Stay positive as best you can, and look up all the methods to help with anxiety - different ones work for different people. Once you give up the fight, it's over.

Be Brave :]

bribee
09-09-2014, 02:16 PM
Hi Bribee!

I'm a 46 year old male from Indiana.
I have never had any pot brownies but have eaten some pot about 30 years ago.
Once the channels or circuitry for panic attacks has been fired, it makes future panic attacks more frequent or possible. The nervous system workings.
Have you discussed any of these issues with a doctor yet, and if not please do so as that is the first step towards recovery friend.
Welcome and hope that you have a better day today!

Enduronman :)

I haven't had one since but I guess I'm just scared too. I've never had anxiety attacks before but I have lots of those now. I won't ever touch drugs again. I am definitely going to see a therapist and doctor to see if they can help with my anxiety attacks.

bribee
09-09-2014, 02:20 PM
My experience was just horrible and I'm pretty sure it was the cause of my anxiety. I am trying to pull through it the best I can. I'm glad I'm not alone in this struggle. It makes me feel better knowing there are people out there going through the same thing. Thank you!!

Project100
09-10-2014, 07:06 AM
I just now registered after a loooooooong time of lurking! Hurray!

Yes, it does get better. Trust me, it gets better. I've had a panic disorder since late 2012. I went through all the stuff (derealization, depersonalisation, tunnel vision, chest pains etc.) that people usually go through when having a panic disorder. But you know what? Now I'm fine. I think it's fair to say that my anxiety is 95% gone, and I'm no longer having panic attacks at all.
I can't unfortunately tell you what I did to cure myself. I took long walks, used my family as support, tried to understand my anxiety, went to therapist. But I honestly can't say what exactly helped me.

Just remember this:
It's NOT life threatening what you're going through.
It WILL go away eventually. Just hang in there.
Also, don't read too many forums on the internet. If you have to read anything, read scientific studies on anxiety. It's easy to get caught in despair when reading about other unfortunate souls that are suffering from this hell.