PDA

View Full Version : Vomiting phobia and university

Cathie
12-06-2005, 05:46 AM
Hi, thought I'd see if anyone else here has this phobia. I've had it for about 6/7 years. It's really bad at the minute, and rules my life but it's been ok before, like it was asleep or something, only came out when something related happened.

But I went to a lecture when I felt sick (bad idea, I know) and had to leave halfway through as it got worse. The lecturer stopped me and asked me what i was doing. I just said I feel sick and ran, but i could hear her talking to the rest of the people about how she likes prople to tell her when they need to leave. This was in a lecture theatre of about 200 people. And I'm naturally shy.

Since then it's been really bad, and i'm finding it really hard to go to lectures, as the two things seem to be linked in my head now, and I get really panicky in lectures. I feel like I couldn't get out if i needed to and feel trapped.

I've missed so many lectures this semester it's ridiculous. And I'm just getting annoyed atg myself now for not going.

Sorry for waffling.
Cathie
xx

Vikki
12-06-2005, 09:00 AM
Hello Cathie, I'm sorry to hear that your having problems. Your not alone, I also found myself getting sick before heading out the door to work. It took awhile to realize that it was anxiety.

Are you taking anything for anxiety? Are you seeing a Dr.? They have medication that can help relax you and calm down your nervous stomach. It's important to find help, because anxiety can cause internal damage as well as what it's doing to your life right now.

Hang in there...it does get better.
Vikki

JackieB
12-06-2005, 11:25 AM
Hi Cathie... so sorry about your plight. I hate feeling trapped too. Have you also looked online for diet suggestions? There's a ton of info about what we can avoid eating to help our body and mind function properly. Caffine, chocolate and atrificial sweetners are a big cause. Also aged meats and cheeses like salami, pepperoni and swiss cheese. Do you smoke? Chain smoking can be a big contributing factor too.

I have Xanax but I rarely take it. I just don't like pills and the possibility of becoming dependant on them. I'm looking more at the causes than a quick fix, although I will pop that pill when things feel really bad.

Do some research on diet and excercise and see if it helps you. Also, regular excercise is supposed to be of great help too. Good luck!

killingmeslowly
12-06-2005, 11:26 AM
basically my whole anxiety disorder is due to the total fear of vomiting. i have thrown up several times in public places (city streets, the tube, on the train, at home etc..)

i even once fainted in church during a wedding as i was just so terrified of how my body can possibly react. i was best man and the experience was utterly soul destroying.

i haven't any answers or advice i'm afraid, i'm completely stuck myself, but i can offer my sympathies - i know what you're going through and i don't think there's a more fearful experience.

Cathie
12-06-2005, 03:20 PM
Hey, thanks for the replies. Just want to make it clear, I don't actually get sick, I just panic that I will and won't be able to get out in time.

I have a really quite good diet, I have IBS so I have to eat properly to keep that under control. So no alcohol, caffiene, little chocolate, no dairy, so no cheese, don't eat red meat. I'm really against smoking. And I have a big thing against sweetners, really bad for stomach.

I don't really exercise much, it is one area I'm not happy with, but I never sem to get round to doing any.

I've never been sick much, was last sick 4 years ago, and I think my inexperience doesn't help. I always got sick at home as well, never at school or anything. It's become this really big thing in my head, like it's the end of the world or something if I get sick.

Cathie

12-06-2005, 03:54 PM
I have a really quite good diet, I have IBS so I have to eat properly to keep that under control. So no alcohol, caffiene, little chocolate, no dairy, so no cheese, don't eat red meat. I'm really against smoking. And I have a big thing against sweetners, really bad for stomach.
I have IBS as well, and I am lactose intolerant :(

killingmeslowly
12-06-2005, 04:29 PM
Cathie

it seems few people do actually vomit, i've never met another who does either. yet the fear of which must be just the same.

i also suffer from stomach problems (too much acid is produced) and this has been a problem throughout my family.

although, unlike yourself, i have the worst diet in the world. zero exercise, i rarely eat, barely sleep, smoke and i'm a raging alcoholic. in fact my daughter took off running in the yard a couple of months ago and she completely out-paced me - she's three!

scatmantom
12-07-2005, 02:11 PM
i can relate to this...i seldom do get sick..only when im really nervous. Lectures in my first year used to be really hard, but if u just do some relaxation techniques b4 u get in ull be fine

also sit near the exit...then u can run b4 any1 stops u...also leave when the lecture is facing the wall...this isnt only helpfull for anxiety but after u settle in and realise they are actually boring u to death!

good luck with uni

im @ uni in staffordshire but im from London so i can understand ur situation.

Maggie May
12-20-2005, 04:31 AM
Hi Cathie,

Just wanted tell you that you and I are phobia twins. I have suffered from the fear of vomiting for 20 years (I'm 32). I know exactly what you mean. I have never actually vomited from anxiety, but the fear of it is powerful enough. And I get so nauseous that it is extremely hard to stay where I am, concentrate, act normal, etc. What has worked for me so far has been eating six small meals a day (to avoid stomach aches and to not have a whole lot to throw up in case I do), Pepto, Ativan and exercise.

I attended a great CBT class here close to San Francisco that helped more than I can say. Through the class, I have met 6 people who have a phobia about vomiting. It is such an incredible relief to meet and talk to people who know exactly what you are talking about. These six and I have had hysterical fits of laughter at how totally identical our thinking is. We have spent hours sharing stories about avoiding spoiled food, avoiding mayonnaise, soft cheeses, and the milk in the carafes at Starbucks, using antibacterial gel constantly, hating when other people tell us they have the stomach flu, feeling nauseous when we encounter strong smells, fears about morning sickness during pregnancy, fear of having surgery because the anesthesia can make you vomit when you wake up, and on, and on, and on.

As others have said, 30 minutes of aerobic exercise a day is a good place to start if you're not sure about therapy and meds. 30 minutes of aerobic exercise makes me feel completely comfortable with eating, and actually thoroughly enjoying it.

Do you think you could handle telling your prof about your anxiety? You don't have to be specific, necessarily, you can just tel the prof that you suffer from panic attacks and it's making attending class and staying in class very hard. You can also say that it makes it worse when the prof asks where you're going, and butter him or her up a little by saying you didn't want the prof to think you didn't care about the class or respect him/her.

Half the time when I tell a coworker, prof, friend or date that I have anxiety disorders, they immediately tell me about someone they know who has one too, if not themselves.

Anyway, good luck, and I'd be happy to talk abou this any old time.

Best,

Maggie

Ace
12-27-2005, 10:37 AM
We have spent hours sharing stories about avoiding spoiled food, avoiding mayonnaise, soft cheeses, and the milk in the carafes at Starbucks, using antibacterial gel constantly, hating when other people tell us they have the stomach flu, feeling nauseous when we encounter strong smells, fears about morning sickness during pregnancy, fear of having surgery because the anesthesia can make you vomit when you wake up, and on, and on, and on.

Maggie, those vomit fears are exactly what I have. I just found this forum today and am so glad.

My main fear and anxiety consists of..

*Either getting ill or passing out in a public situation and having no control over it.
*Social anxiety
*Fear of being too far from home

I'm trying to inject exercise, magnesium and meditation into my life now. I'm also going to start on a very low dose of Lexapro and go see a good psychologist in the next few months.

I've got to beat my fears, it is making my life a life of fear only and I'm missing out on really "enjoying" life with people.