PDA

View Full Version : Fear and anxiety over seeing, hearing about or actually vomiting

Joe.
09-07-2014, 03:16 PM
I was at this pool event today and I heard someone was sick and......I could smell it!
First panic attack in 1 month. Totally panicked, just because of that it was like an instantaneous thing.
Any advise?

Bergen
09-07-2014, 03:40 PM
I advise you not to work on a roller coaster. I recently left my job at one, and it doesn't happen often, but it happens. You'd probably go nuts because you never know when it'll be.

On a serious note: I know some of the cleaners at the roller coaster I worked at kept some lotion type thing to rub under their nose when they had to clean up after people who got sick. That way they didn't have to smell it. Then if it happens, don't look. My counsellor is always talking about mindfulness which is pretty much just focus on anything other than what is causing the anxiety. I think that covers the bases of sight, smell, and thought.

Joe.
09-07-2014, 03:48 PM
Mindfullness would be useful here, yes, never crossed my mind at the time. Thanks.

Any advise on controlling how automatic it was, as soon as I heard " clean them toilets someone has been sick" boom panic?
I advise you not to work on a roller coaster. I recently left my job at one, and it doesn't happen often, but it happens. You'd probably go nuts because you never know when it'll be.

On a serious note: I know some of the cleaners at the roller coaster I worked at kept some lotion type thing to rub under their nose when they had to clean up after people who got sick. That way they didn't have to smell it. Then if it happens, don't look. My counsellor is always talking about mindfulness which is pretty much just focus on anything other than what is causing the anxiety. I think that covers the bases of sight, smell, and thought.

Bergen
09-08-2014, 06:27 PM
Well, unfortunately, there isn't really anything you can do about what you hear other people say. All I could recommend is having a plan, so if you do hear or see something that triggers any panic, then you have a way to sort of control your reaction instead of freaking out.