PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety causing avoidance - advice please?

dreamydaze
09-05-2014, 06:58 AM
Has anyone avoided a situation for a long time because of anxiety that the situation will cause depression? I had severe depression for a time last year and I'm terrified/convinced that jobs will trigger off another episode of severe depression, so I've avoided it for over a year now. I know I can't hide forever, but I just can't face it because of the fear of it causing depression. I don't know how to get past this, I feel stuck. What happened last year still makes me feel sick. I've never had a job before either, so I know the longer I leave it the harder it will be....I don't know how I would explain the gap on my cv. I graduated from university last year. I'm at the stage now where I've finally managed to buy a potential outfit for interviews in the future so I'm more prepared, but I still cannot bring myself to apply for anything or barely even research anything. It makes me feel so anxious and I can't imagine jobs without also imagining severe depression.

I considered going to the doctors last year about the anxiety, but I felt silly so I didn't. I thought I would've got better by now but I haven't much overall. I'm scared to go to the doctors and I'm not sure how they could help....I feel a bit silly, I don't even know what I would say. Any suggestions? Do you think this sort of avoidant anxiety in fear of depression is something to speak to a doctor about?

Enduronman
09-05-2014, 08:27 AM
Yes!
Get in to see a doctor and quit avoiding it.
Set your pride and ego aside, let down the wall that you've created that shrouds you in fear, and openly discuss the issues.
A doctor can help you, treat you, guide you, and assist in preparing you for the future.
You're doing exactly what anxiety wants you to do, hide it..
It's time for some positive effort from You.

Enduronman :)

Anne1221
09-05-2014, 11:12 AM
Yes! Talk to a doctor and quit trying to handle it all by yourself. You would not believe all the things I ask my doctor about, things that make me anxious that no other person would worry about. They are there to help people and you're a person. Get help!

Xerosnake90
09-05-2014, 05:02 PM
Avoidance causes anxiety, not the other way around. Read up and learn as much as you can about anxiety to better understand it. It's very beatable my friend :)