PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts about heart, stomach and attacks

NickDal
09-02-2014, 02:22 PM
Hi. I'm 52 years old and normally an in-shape health nut. Just had the second panic attack in my life (ironically I guess) and so am really thinking about this. Would really appreciate any input. Now that I look back, the cause for each seems kind of obvious. Do you think that the implied preventions would actually work, or are panic attacks just going to get easier and easier to set off as I get older?

Since two of my sisters have had this, guess it is my turn. In hindsight, it seems easy to see what led up to each attack.

Just visited with my family in the Rocky Mountains at about 9500 feet. I live at sea level. The first attack came on one night as I tried to go to sleep. Was feeling overtired since the previous night of sleep was not good. Dinner was heavy (for me). My family was in another room and so I was alone. I tried lying down around 10 PM and found that my heart wanted to speed up instead of slowdown. When it got above 120 bpm and kept climbing, I thought "so this is what my sisters have been experiencing." Yikes!

Causes. To me, the biggest contributor was lack of sleep the night before. Next, high-altitude (thin air) meant my heart and lungs were already working harder and so maybe the risk was higher. My previous high-protein and high-fat dinner was much harder to digest than a more high carb dinner. Being alone allowed anxiety to increase. Lastly, I am susceptible to swallowing air, which distends my stomach and so lying down crowded my lungs and heart making them have to work even harder. Heart palps were strong, and then I thought, "we are getting up a little early tomorrow and if I don't sleep..." That's when it hit.

The second attack on the plane seemed inevitable. Had a very crowded window seat. Flight was late so everyone was tired and stressed. Hysterical infant in next row. The woman next to me seem nervous and had earbuds and couldn't talk. Then she and the aisle seat guy drop their trays and both ordered food and drinks, so there was no getting up. When it struck, I muttered a four letter word, which the aisle seat guy heard. That kind of embarrassed me, which brought me out of it.

Do you think these sound like real causes, or should I just expect that these will start hitting anyway?

Switz5678
09-02-2014, 03:05 PM
Hello,

I think that you should not allow yourself to be resigned to the concept of this slippery slope panic attack condition with age. You can, and will control them (if they do come again). The fact that you have siblings with this issue should comfort you because there is strong evidence that there is no real danger. Feelings of bloated stomach interfere with my breathing, and perhaps its because it presses on the diaphragm. I don't like to feel trapped either, and being trapped has progressed into panic attack for me too!

They sound like real causes to me

NickDal
09-02-2014, 03:22 PM
Thanks. Really therapeutic hearing from someone about this. Encouraging answer too.

The hotel actually had its own EMT on call. I called down and he was really happy to come up and talk. Feeling that's also a big part of the prevention and treatment :-)

Hello,

I think that you should not allow yourself to be resigned to the concept of this slippery slope panic attack condition with age. You can, and will control them (if they do come again). The fact that you have siblings with this issue should comfort you because there is strong evidence that there is no real danger. Feelings of bloated stomach interfere with my breathing, and perhaps its because it presses on the diaphragm. I don't like to feel trapped either, and being trapped has progressed into panic attack for me too!

They sound like real causes to me

NixonRulz
09-02-2014, 04:40 PM
Hi. I'm 52 years old and normally an in-shape health nut. Just had the second panic attack in my life (ironically I guess) and so am really thinking about this. Would really appreciate any input. Now that I look back, the cause for each seems kind of obvious. Do you think that the implied preventions would actually work, or are panic attacks just going to get easier and easier to set off as I get older?

Since two of my sisters have had this, guess it is my turn. In hindsight, it seems easy to see what led up to each attack.

Just visited with my family in the Rocky Mountains at about 9500 feet. I live at sea level. The first attack came on one night as I tried to go to sleep. Was feeling overtired since the previous night of sleep was not good. Dinner was heavy (for me). My family was in another room and so I was alone. I tried lying down around 10 PM and found that my heart wanted to speed up instead of slowdown. When it got above 120 bpm and kept climbing, I thought "so this is what my sisters have been experiencing." Yikes!

Causes. To me, the biggest contributor was lack of sleep the night before. Next, high-altitude (thin air) meant my heart and lungs were already working harder and so maybe the risk was higher. My previous high-protein and high-fat dinner was much harder to digest than a more high carb dinner. Being alone allowed anxiety to increase. Lastly, I am susceptible to swallowing air, which distends my stomach and so lying down crowded my lungs and heart making them have to work even harder. Heart palps were strong, and then I thought, "we are getting up a little early tomorrow and if I don't sleep..." That's when it hit.

The second attack on the plane seemed inevitable. Had a very crowded window seat. Flight was late so everyone was tired and stressed. Hysterical infant in next row. The woman next to me seem nervous and had earbuds and couldn't talk. Then she and the aisle seat guy drop their trays and both ordered food and drinks, so there was no getting up. When it struck, I muttered a four letter word, which the aisle seat guy heard. That kind of embarrassed me, which brought me out of it.

Do you think these sound like real causes, or should I just expect that these will start hitting anyway?

That may be what brought the panic on. Makes sense.

But you will be in a similar situation again or you may think about things before you sleep

Before sleep was rough for me becasue like you,my heart sped up since I was a bit anxious and that scared me so I had a panic attack.

As Switz said, since your sisters were lucky enough to get them, you have seen how they stop no matter what you do

And since they do not scare you too much, I do not see this being an issue going forward

And age has nothing to do with it in most cases

Most people start having panic attacks in their early 20's and females are more likely

So consider yourself blessed!

You had a free ride for 30 years

No worries. You will be fine.

NickDal
09-02-2014, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the positive comments! I agree that a similar situation is inevitable. It is my intention to be as prepared as possible in the future. That's kind of been my mantra for years. I guess that is what makes one a health nut. There is a really great phone app called "checklist." I just added a new list to it called "flight panic avoidance." :D

Anne1221
09-03-2014, 09:58 AM
Well, that plane experience you had would give anyone an attack of anxiety! It sounded like a scene from a bad sitcom.

NickDal
09-03-2014, 10:25 AM
How true. At one point, the aisle guy turned beet red and snapped at the person behind him because his seat kept getting bumped. Had me wondering how much more stress and abuse we are all willing to take before some sort of revolt is triggered. Our quality of life seems ever more secondary to other interests. Feels like a safe assumption that in-flight panic attacks are on the increase.

Well, that plane experience you had would give anyone an attack of anxiety! It sounded like a scene from a bad sitcom.