PDA

View Full Version : Breathing Problems Advice Please

John34
09-01-2014, 04:41 AM
Hi all

I'm new to the forum but have been Googling for some advice on this and found the site, really hope someone can help.

For the last six weeks or so I've been having some breathing problems. They all started with what I'm now starting to think may have been a panic or an anxiety attack.

I'd been undergoing a period of stress (not the worst I've ever faced, but still fairly stressful, following a period of ill health and currently doing some shifts in a stressful job, during which time I developed some stomach discomfort).

While I was walking around the shops I had an intense inability to breathe. I suffer from mild asthma and just thought maybe it was an asthma attack. I was not panicked though, and in fact tried to carry on shopping until it became too intense and I drove home. My inhaler didn't work so I went to bed and woke up the next day fine.

That evening I was driving and it came on me again. Again, I went to bed, and woke up fine.

A day later I was under some pressure in work and I felt it creep across my chest again, and it basically hasn't gone since.

I went on holiday the next day (something I'd been worried about, as I'd had a bout of ill health and was already feeling quite stressed and vulnerable), and for most of the time there felt like I had a tight ball in my chest. When I was lying down or sitting down it was fine, but when I got up it was there.

Half way through the holiday I began to have what I believe were full blown panic attacks. I would be sitting in the all inclusive restaurant with my girlfriend, trying to keep her company and maintain a brave face, but felt the urge to run out. The breathing became more difficult and I developed headaches and feelings of nausia. These would subside when I returned to my room and lay down, at which point I'd feel perfectly normal.

Since I've returned home I'd felt the most serious aspects of the breathing problems go, and have received asthma inhalers, steroids and lastly, treatment for a chest infection (even though they say my peak flow is fine, oxygen levels are fine, and a chest X ray came up clear). However, I still have a residual breathing difficulty that I just can't get rid of. Every third or four breath feels like the air is getting stuck in my tubes (upper throat and chest). It's really annoying me and seems to feed back into my negative cycle of thinking. I genuinely can't remember the last time I took a full, clear breath. Some days have been easier than others, but the underlying difficulty is always there.

As an aside. I've noticed that since I've been back I'm having residual panic attacks. When I go into public places, supermarkets, restaurants etc my muscles contract in my neck, so much so that later one evening I was unable to move my head. I've also had flu like symptoms and lost my apetite, although these seem to have stopped.

Last week I also developed a urine problem which made my symptoms worse. I don't believe the urine problem is related, as it was too 'physical', they treated me for a urine infection but have since said I don't have one, even though the symptoms persist.

I have booked a private counsellor for some CBT therapy, but am reluctant to approach my GP as I feel I may be labelled and any future health concerns dismissed as being down to anxiety.

My main concern at the moment is the residual breathing issue. Is this normal to go on for so long? If so, what do I do about it? I've ready some things online about breathing exercises but these seem aimed at people who are in the midst of a panic attack, but this is more of a long term thing.

Any advice would be kindly appreciated.

manz82
09-01-2014, 04:34 PM
Quick question - during these episodes
Of breathing issues, do you feel like you need to yawn in order to get a full breath?

Xerosnake90
09-01-2014, 05:47 PM
Hello John,

So what I'm about to tell you will go two ways. You'll either believe it and feel relief or think "no way" and keep looking for answers. So here we go... As it turns out.. You're full blown anxious and are having nothing but anxiety symptoms. Up to and including the urine problems, the breathing, hell have you considered your ill health prior to becoming so anxious? How do you know that wasn't a bout of anxiety? Because it's too physical and makes no sense? Your body can't tell the difference between true pain and imagined pain. Just because it's not really there doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I had the same thing. Went to my doc with what I thought to be a urinary tract infection. When I got to the place I went to pee and had such intense pain. Did the tests, came back all clear. I happened to find an anxiety website after and as soon as I accepted my symptoms were anxiety. Behold! They went away. Most at least, and since then about a month and a half ago my symptoms that were severe have been going away and whatever is left is sure to be gone soon.

So welcome, to the state of anxiety. Stick around and you'll learn how to beat it. I'll tell you a secret, it's not popping a pill or becoming an alcoholic. Do the things you enjoy, move forward in life and live the way you desire. Sounds strange I'm sure, but it's the key to breaking free. Ask if you have any questions :)

John34
09-02-2014, 01:56 AM
Thank you both for your replies, it's great to know there are others out there who understand.

Manz, I don't yawn to be honest. It's hard to describe but I don't feel short of breath as such, more like I'm breathing in a sauna. It feels like every third or fourth breath moves slower through the bottom of my neck and top of my chest. Also, I have clear phlegm there that often contains bits of food and drink which I occasionally have to cough up.

Hi Xeros, thanks for that. I'm definitely struggling with anxiety, I believe the urination problem may be being exacerbated by my feelings but I'm honestly not sure the initial issue was to do with that, it was a very physical response, I suspect I had injured myself in some way and now it's just playing on my mind!

I've had issues like this at school. I used to feel the need to go to the toilet (number 2) a lot when I was in class or in assembly, then when I'd go the feeling would fade. In hindsight, I think these were a form of panic attack. I've recently been struggling with some ill health (a nasty infection followed by an allergic reaction to medication) and had to go to Northern Ireland to visit my girlfriend's family. When in her sister's car I had the urge to go to the toilet again and felt bloated, I think this was the first panic attack I'd had in a while.

After that, I became anxious about an upcoming holiday I had. I was afraid of being ill while I was away and it ruining my holiday, and it was two days before I was due to go that the breathing problems started. They were definitely exacerbated at times, I'd get tightness in the chest when I was in public, but that would fade when I was in my room or in the open, such as by the pool. But the underlying 'in a sauna' feeling was always there and still is, no matter where I am and what I'm doing. It's this feeling, more than anything, which I believe is perpetuating my anxiety. Could it be a form of muscle spasm???

Yazzy
09-02-2014, 02:28 AM
Hi all

I'm new to the forum but have been Googling for some advice on this and found the site, really hope someone can help.

For the last six weeks or so I've been having some breathing problems. They all started with what I'm now starting to think may have been a panic or an anxiety attack.

I'd been undergoing a period of stress (not the worst I've ever faced, but still fairly stressful, following a period of ill health and currently doing some shifts in a stressful job, during which time I developed some stomach discomfort).

While I was walking around the shops I had an intense inability to breathe. I suffer from mild asthma and just thought maybe it was an asthma attack. I was not panicked though, and in fact tried to carry on shopping until it became too intense and I drove home. My inhaler didn't work so I went to bed and woke up the next day fine.

That evening I was driving and it came on me again. Again, I went to bed, and woke up fine.

A day later I was under some pressure in work and I felt it creep across my chest again, and it basically hasn't gone since.

I went on holiday the next day (something I'd been worried about, as I'd had a bout of ill health and was already feeling quite stressed and vulnerable), and for most of the time there felt like I had a tight ball in my chest. When I was lying down or sitting down it was fine, but when I got up it was there.

Half way through the holiday I began to have what I believe were full blown panic attacks. I would be sitting in the all inclusive restaurant with my girlfriend, trying to keep her company and maintain a brave face, but felt the urge to run out. The breathing became more difficult and I developed headaches and feelings of nausia. These would subside when I returned to my room and lay down, at which point I'd feel perfectly normal.

Since I've returned home I'd felt the most serious aspects of the breathing problems go, and have received asthma inhalers, steroids and lastly, treatment for a chest infection (even though they say my peak flow is fine, oxygen levels are fine, and a chest X ray came up clear). However, I still have a residual breathing difficulty that I just can't get rid of. Every third or four breath feels like the air is getting stuck in my tubes (upper throat and chest). It's really annoying me and seems to feed back into my negative cycle of thinking. I genuinely can't remember the last time I took a full, clear breath. Some days have been easier than others, but the underlying difficulty is always there.

As an aside. I've noticed that since I've been back I'm having residual panic attacks. When I go into public places, supermarkets, restaurants etc my muscles contract in my neck, so much so that later one evening I was unable to move my head. I've also had flu like symptoms and lost my apetite, although these seem to have stopped.

Last week I also developed a urine problem which made my symptoms worse. I don't believe the urine problem is related, as it was too 'physical', they treated me for a urine infection but have since said I don't have one, even though the symptoms persist.

I have booked a private counsellor for some CBT therapy, but am reluctant to approach my GP as I feel I may be labelled and any future health concerns dismissed as being down to anxiety.

My main concern at the moment is the residual breathing issue. Is this normal to go on for so long? If so, what do I do about it? I've ready some things online about breathing exercises but these seem aimed at people who are in the midst of a panic attack, but this is more of a long term thing.

Any advice would be kindly appreciated.

Hello ;)

That defiantly sounds like anxiety attacks to me. You are going about it the best way by going to CBT sessions. You will find that GPs just tend to throw any sort of drug at you since they don't really specialize in mental health. With anxiety your shortness of breath can randomly come on when you are stressed, and even if you feel that you are not. Its down to your subconscious mind... once it has started these 'episodes' then it will make a routine of it. I had the same with heart palpitations, then not being able to breathe... anxiety can bring out so many health problems. So that is probably why you have developed it when being out at restaurants etc... your mind will go into 'flight or fight' mode automatically. CBT should help you come out of this routine. I hope this helps a little.
Please look at my self-help website for more of an understanding... http://yazzy271.wix.com/thepinkponyanxiety

Yasmine :)

John34
09-02-2014, 02:35 AM
Hi Yasmine,

That's really helpful, thank you so much.

I agree with you about the subconscious anxiety attacks. They come on when I'm in situations that remind me of being on holiday and feeling like I couldn't breath. But would anxiety be able to cause this 'constant' breathing issue? The one that's there all the time? Even when I'm stood in my kitchen on a sunny Sunday morning? As it's that that is actually 'causing' my anxiety, if I could take a silver bullet to it the rest of my 'issues' could be tackled.

John34
09-02-2014, 08:50 AM
Think I may have struck paydirt - Hyperventilation Syndrome?

It would explain everything.

prouddad
09-02-2014, 09:39 AM
John34,
Yours is the first thread I have read on this sight. Amazing how much your issues sound like mine. I do not have a history of asthma, but...
I am in a almost constant state of not being able to breath (actually hyperventilation) I go through boughts of near constant urination, blood pressure spikes, dizzy, social anxiety, etc... It is very reassuring to hear that others have similar issues. I find it fascinating that the body can manifest mental anxiety into physical symptoms. I see you have realized the issue, have you since been able to control the symptoms?

Switz5678
09-02-2014, 02:47 PM
Hi John,

I've had some breathing problems myself, and I have spent a lot of time wondering what could be the possible causes.

I think that for me at least it comes down to two possibilities..

A. At some point in time during my panic attack episodes I became overly conscious of my own breathing. I realized that, even now as I type this, that some portion of my consciousness is actively monitoring my breathing pattern, and trying to adjust it to what I think is normal. I think that this conscious meddling could be directly causing the feeling of shortness of breathe. Do you think about your breathing obsessively? Perhaps this transition between conscious breathing, and subconscious breathing could be a cause?

B. I also have had phlegm in my throat.. Not a cough, but just a hack that feels like its residing in the middle of my throat. Most of the time when I have breathing issues I'm having stomach issues as well. How about you? do you feel a tightness in your stomach, like its bloated, or have trapped air? I've done some research into this, and I think its possible that the anxiety is causing stomach issues, which lead to acid traveling up and effecting breathing. Silent reflux could explain both the phlegm, and the feeling of shortness of breathe.

Im with you, and you are not alone

Josh

John34
09-03-2014, 02:04 AM
Hi Prouddad, Josh

I do have stomach issues, but then I have had them on and off for a long time.

I've not been breathing properly now for about six weeks and certain symptoms have started to appear since then such as an excessively tight neck at times, sometimes a feeling of overwhelming bloatedness that I'm actually going to explode, but which I think is muscles in the abdomen and back tightening - I think this may cause wind.

After doing some research I'm convinced now that it's hyperventilation syndrome, check it out, and I think you may recognise the symptoms yourself.

Basically, anxious people naturally breathe badly - from the chest rather than the abdomen, and it doesn't take much to spark us into hyperventilating. It can be subtle (many have mentioned frequent yawning or sighing), but the basic
effect is that you don't have enough CO2 in your body and it that in itself makes you anxious. It also causes stomach problems, makes you lethargic, clouds your mind etc. I'm sure you'll all recognise these symptoms.

What I now believe happened to me is that I had hyperventilation attacks (apparently they feel like panic attacks, but without the feeling of panic - which I didn't have, I actually tried to carry on shopping!). I've had a couple in three days and the effects have gone away overnight, but because the final one happened earlier in the day, I've then spent the rest of the day 'trying' to breathe and basically disturbed my natural subconscious breathing cycle.

My GP basically thought this was what had happened. He prescribed vallium but I didn't believe him and changed my doctor, which I'm feeling a bit stupid about now.

The good news is that it's treatable with therapy, breathing exercises and in some cases drugs. Some physiotherapy may also be involved apparently. I have an appointment with my new GP tomorrow where I'm going to float this possibility again as I'm now pretty sure this is what's happening.