PDA

View Full Version : How do you stop caring what people think of you?

Joe.
08-31-2014, 04:43 PM
This is not so much an anxiety issue but more a predisposition anxiety has given me.
I'm a nerd, who is expected to be very clever; never been amazing at socializing but I have very diverse friendship groups ( Playing pool at high level and mates from school). One of my close friends told me many of the 'popular lads/lasses' in school look down on me if you know what I mean. I for some reason always like clarity in what I believe others believe, and clarity on what they think of me.

Xerosnake90
08-31-2014, 05:46 PM
You set expectations of yourself in regards to others. Set expectations for you in regards of what you want for yourself. Only then can you pass the ideas of others. Being happy with yourself and your expectations are what matter, not what others may think. Other peoples expectations can be completely unfair, why subject yourself to their restrictions?

Joe.
08-31-2014, 05:51 PM
Very true, I read something like that somewhere else. I'll keep this in mind. (I have a habit of learned a way of thinking and just not applying it, you see)
You set expectations of yourself in regards to others. Set expectations for you in regards of what you want for yourself. Only then can you pass the ideas of others. Being happy with yourself and your expectations are what matter, not what others may think. Other peoples expectations can be completely unfair, why subject yourself to their restrictions?

Xerosnake90
08-31-2014, 06:05 PM
An idea never becomes a habit until you practice it. Don't keep it in mind, work out your expectations of you for you and write them down. Whenever you feel judged by anyone, you make a mental note that it won't affect you. That thought will become habit and you are now free. Take care.

Steven Miller
08-31-2014, 10:07 PM
Set expectations for you in regards of what you want for yourself.

Xerosnake this is perfect advice. I believe it is the only solution.

What you want is not something you can always know beforehand. If I told you to list the top 3 things you want tomorrow, that would not be an easy exercise.

The most important thing I can say it this: Because you can't always know what you want ahead of time, you have to be willing to take risks. You have to be willing to go for something even when you don't know if it is what you want. For example, you might like a girl, but you might not know whether you will like being with her. But you have to commit to going for it. And if you fail, you have to believe that you can go for something else. The most attractive quality in another person is confidence. Confidence doesn't come from never failing. It comes from the knowing that even when you fail, you will succeed shortly there after. Never give up hope or stop exploring.