PDA

View Full Version : Company Drug Tests

NerveFray
06-17-2008, 12:49 PM
My company is initiating random drug tests (urine samples). I have a prescription for Xanax, and, although I don't take it everyday, I know the trace will remain in your system for a few days. Anyway, now TAKING the stuff is causing me anxiety cause I'm worried I'll get fired :roll: (it's like you can't win, ya' know?)

Here is what I don't know...

1) I don't know if they are using a 5 point test or a 10. I suspect it is only a 5, which wouldn't show benzos, but I am not sure and I don't want to ask the question cause I'd basically be telling them I'm taking something.

2) The main question is whether they can fire me for taking something I have a prescription for? Thing is, I operate machinery and that's why they are so big on this testing, but I never take it within 8 hours of work so I am never under the influence there, but again, all they have to go by is whether it shows up in a trace amount.

Does anyone have any advice or experience they can share? Maybe some knowledge of the legalities concerning prescribed drugs and company testing? I spoke (confidentially) to my ex-supervisor and he thinks I have nothing to worry about as long as I have a prescription but that is only his opinion.

punkgod94
08-24-2008, 09:31 PM
My company is initiating random drug tests (urine samples). I have a prescription for Xanax, and, although I don't take it everyday, I know the trace will remain in your system for a few days. Anyway, now TAKING the stuff is causing me anxiety cause I'm worried I'll get fired :roll: (it's like you can't win, ya' know?)

Here is what I don't know...

1) I don't know if they are using a 5 point test or a 10. I suspect it is only a 5, which wouldn't show benzos, but I am not sure and I don't want to ask the question cause I'd basically be telling them I'm taking something.

2) The main question is whether they can fire me for taking something I have a prescription for? Thing is, I operate machinery and that's why they are so big on this testing, but I never take it within 8 hours of work so I am never under the influence there, but again, all they have to go by is whether it shows up in a trace amount.

Does anyone have any advice or experience they can share? Maybe some knowledge of the legalities concerning prescribed drugs and company testing? I spoke (confidentially) to my ex-supervisor and he thinks I have nothing to worry about as long as I have a prescription but that is only his opinion.

From my experience with taking company urine tests, they will first ask you what drugs you are currently taking. If you have a prescription they can NOT fire you for it, so don't worry. The most they can do is have a medical case manager for your company ask to speak with your physician to confirm that you are indeed prescribed the given medication. If you're clean of everything else you'll pass with flying colors! Your managers won't even have to know that you're prescribed medicine - you can talk to your HR department, as it is illegal for confidential medical information to be shared.

Matt_H
08-28-2008, 03:34 PM
Yuppers. The Rx is your golden ticket. The benzo screening is obviously targeted for individuals who abuse them, or take them without an Rx. Should be fine, even with the nature of your work.