PDA

View Full Version : I need advice over taking a new big leap in my life!

Irish Sammie
08-30-2014, 06:11 PM
Hey guys,

Only a small few of you here know what I'm about to undertake in the next few weeks, so I'd like to hear other peoples opinions and inputs over how I can deal with it better.

I'm moving to Canada in just over 2 weeks time (Currently residing in Ireland). I've been working hard to obtain work over there before I leave and I just got offered a job 2 days ago , so It's great knowing that even though I've saved, that I'll have financial security being over there. I've been wanting to take this trip for quite some time now, turning over a new leaf and trying to better my life in as many ways as I can. I've been an introvert most of my life, often preferring my own company over others. That's not to say that I don't enjoy hanging out with friends and acquaintances, I've just found myself through how things have turned out in my life, to find myself alone quite often. I believe this has contributed to my anxiety state and this is something I want to work on going forward.

I'm moving to Vancouver by myself so it'll be a new city, new environment, new everything for me. I do have some social anxiety and large crowd anxiety and given how Vancouver is situated, thankfully it's quite a spread out city and not too cluttered which I do like. Right now, I think one of the main problems that I'm thinking about is taking the flight. Up until I had my first panic attack 10 months ago, I was fine taking them. However now, as my body is sensitized, I'm a bit a worried about having one on the plane (2 connecting flights, infact). I've been able to subdue my last 6 attacks by concentrating, controlling my breathing providing mental reassurance to myself, and many have concluded within 5 minutes or so.

I was wondering if anyone has advice over how to prepare, or things that I could do to ease my worries over the flights? I'm in two minds about it. Firstly, I'm thinking that I know what I should do (Ignore, don't inform anyone sitting near me that I have a panic disorder and not to worry if I act strange, don't inform the air hostesses etc) because by shedding light on it and pointing out that it could happen, it's ripe in my mind and could perhaps generate one from that point alone. Then, I'm thinking that it might provide my mind some reassurance knowing that those around me are aware, that the hair hostess is aware also and that might make me more calm throughout the flight?

In total I'll be flying 15 hours, so I think I should have some sort of strategy. I was thinking of taking some sleeping pills for the longest part of the flight. I do have Inderal, which I've only ever taken one pill out of the box the doctor initially prescribed. Should I take them along too? From what I've learned through my research, it's not good to have a "fall back" option because yet again, it becomes part of the constant awareness that you're in this current mindset. A large majority of getting over what we have is getting on with life and trying to infuse yourself with everyday normal interactions, conditioning yourself back in to normal functioning societal actions.

I'm sorry if I've perhaps contradicted myself here. Maybe I shouldn't prepare at all and just look forward to moving to Canada. UGh! My mind is a bit all over the place at the moment! I just wanted to get all of this down regardless.

Any thoughts are as usual, very welcome :)

Dahila
08-30-2014, 08:07 PM
First of all I wonder why you want move here, the job market is really poor. I thought that Europe is easier to survive. Then maybe you have job waiting for you here. Vancouver is extremely expensive. When here in Ontario you can buy a decent not new of course, house for 250 thousand there the same house would cost twice more. Long fly is difficult for us. I usually take benzos, a few of them then I do not sleep, I do not care what happen. You should be exited about changing the country and new things you do, and new places you see. Do not count on seeing architectural masterpieces older than 150 years:)) The nature is wonderful, the air clean, and you can see the sky so high I had not imagine it would be like that. Sammie keep us posted:))

Xerosnake90
08-30-2014, 08:21 PM
Nice reinforcement there Dahila with that first statement :P

Hi Sammie. Congrats on moving forward and starting a new chapter in your life. So you mentioned that you've subsided your last few panic attacks naturally. That is all I'll point out as it's what is most important. What difference would it make were you to have a panic attack on the plane as opposed to wherever you've subsided it previously. If you focus on the situation as if something new it may appear frightening. Stay home in your mind, and IF the situation arises you treat it like normal. That is a big IF, you won't focus on the idea of a panic attack. You're focused on getting to your new home, how exciting to start a new chapter :)

A solid piece of advice is also to make friends with whomever you sit by! That feeling of comfort will make the flight much more pleasureable. If the feeling arises, advise of how you feel. You never know what words another can offer. Take care and enjoy your new chapter.

Steven Miller
08-30-2014, 11:51 PM
Nice to hear you are moving to Canada. I lived there for four years. I can tell you that most people there are very nice (there is truth to the stereotype). They really have respect and are not very interested in judging people negatively or acting negatively towards other people.

Here is a situation perfect for anxiety. It is a new situation. You probably don't fly a ton, and even if you do, you probably don't frequently move to new countries.

My suggestion is to spend your time now, and on the plane, focusing on what you want to do AFTER you get off the plane. Do you have an apartment? What do you want do buy for your apartment? Will you set up a bank account? How about getting a phone? How will you make new Canadian friends? Maybe you should buy a guide to Vancouver and read it on the plane.

Dahila
08-31-2014, 09:32 AM
Righ, Sammie sorry it did not sound good. You probably have some support moving here. what I can tell you, I was suffering with migraines for whole my life, till the time i moved to Canada. It stopped completely; i think it has a lot to do with air quality, low pollution. Vancouver is a beautiful city and many of my friends live there. They seem to like it. Plane is a must, it is difficult but you have motivation:)) you will survive :)

Irish Sammie
08-31-2014, 06:19 PM
Thank you for your replies so far guys,

@Dahlia: It's ok, I often don't think before I type things too! Your point of view is specific to where you are living in relation to what you perceive as expensive. I'm coming from Ireland which any American would think is as expensive, or more expensive than if they were comparing it to Canada. I'm coming over with the Euro which when converted into Canadian dollars is hugely beneficial. I'm going over with a job already established, so financially I'm not worried at all. I'm probably making the plane situation a bigger issue than it is, but given how long I'll be flying for, and by myself I'm just worried that my mind will wander. I'm going to make sure to have my ipad fully stocked with movies!

My emotions at the moment are split in many ways. I'm excited, nervous, enthralled, ecstatic, anxious, worried, delighted all mixed into one. I guess I know how to manage if a panic attack comes, though I think I'm more scared of having to feel the effects again when I'm in a foreign country. There's always a certain safe feeling if I get one on my home land, if that makes any sense at all. I think I'll have quite a lot on my mind regarding organizing transport and keeping track of what I need to do when I land to keep me from focusing too much on myself. The less introverted thoughts I have the better!

Dahila
08-31-2014, 07:54 PM
Sammie imagine, I came here 23 years ago with two small children and not knowledge of language at all. I survived so will you having the advantage of established job, and the language and you probably younger than me when I came here:))
Welcome to Canada :))

Irish Sammie
09-01-2014, 05:23 PM
Thank you Dahila! You sound like you would have had a very hard time! worse than me, so thank you for that humbling thought :)

Dahila
09-01-2014, 06:08 PM
NP Sammie let me know when you are here:))