PDA

View Full Version : Hyper aware of own thoughts

jiffnon
08-30-2014, 06:08 AM
I'm quite the hypochondriac and my latest worry is that I'm developing schizophrenia, something I'm sure a lot of you fear or have feared in the past. I've been obsessed with music since I was a kid and have always had songs in my head, but now I'm hyper aware of my own thoughts it seems constant, with words or images triggering songs instantly from the moment I wake. I also latch onto racing ideas and subconscious sounds or thoughts that seemingly pop out of nowhere as a sign of something more sinister. I know it's almost definitely just a potent combination of GAD, health anxiety and OCD but it's just exhausting. Does anybody else get this?

gypsylee
08-30-2014, 06:46 AM
I'm quite the hypochondriac and my latest worry is that I'm developing schizophrenia, something I'm sure a lot of you fear or have feared in the past. I've been obsessed with music since I was a kid and have always had songs in my head, but now I'm hyper aware of my own thoughts it seems constant, with words or images triggering songs instantly from the moment I wake. I also latch onto racing ideas and subconscious sounds or thoughts that seemingly pop out of nowhere as a sign of something more sinister. I know it's almost definitely just a potent combination of GAD, health anxiety and OCD but it's just exhausting. Does anybody else get this?

Yes. I was terrified of schizophrenia for years. I also get really conscious of my thoughts and it's horrible. I'm sort of convinced I will drive myself completely crazy one day lol.

But I've had anxiety for over twenty years and been through some stuff that really would drive some people crazy I think (drug/alcohol withdrawals, unexpected death of a close relative, sociopathic ex-husband) and I'm still pretty rational.

Hang in there.. Even though you probably feel like noone else could possibly think the things you do, we do! :)

NixonRulz
08-30-2014, 08:07 AM

People with anxiety often feel like they are going crazy.

And shyzophenia is what people most often going crazy with

Anxiety has never turned into shyzophenia.

When people have that they are oblivious to it and think they are fine

But they aren't

People with anxiety are so aware of those thoughts of being crazy

Actually, anxiety is probably the furthest away you can get from shyzophenia

jiffnon
09-01-2014, 10:09 AM
Yes. I was terrified of schizophrenia for years. I also get really conscious of my thoughts and it's horrible. I'm sort of convinced I will drive myself completely crazy one day lol.

But I've had anxiety for over twenty years and been through some stuff that really would drive some people crazy I think (drug/alcohol withdrawals, unexpected death of a close relative, sociopathic ex-husband) and I'm still pretty rational.

Hang in there.. Even though you probably feel like noone else could possibly think the things you do, we do! :)

Thanks lee, this was rather comforting. I only tend to notice these subconcious sounds, murmurs, tones etc when I'm actively seeking them out but it's still horrible nonetheless.

Anybody else?

Im-Suffering
09-01-2014, 11:30 AM
Thanks lee, this was rather comforting. I only tend to notice these subconcious sounds, murmurs, tones etc when I'm actively seeking them out but it's still horrible nonetheless.

Anybody else?

Now opening a bag of M&M's, you can choose to eat the red ones only and discard the rest. Now you expect the red to be mixed with brown, orange, blue, but that doesn't bother you or make your mind race anxiously, you simply pick and choose. You even get to hold the brown and blue ones to see what their like, thus having a full experience.

Whereas a bag of only the red limits your experience, the full color spectrum gives you fulfillment and balance and excitement as you are at free will to choose your preference.

Against your judgement and what you expect to hear, you are healthy. Accept your gift. The watchword in your life is selectivity.

Thoughts you call sinister, are healthy as well, returning equilibrium when the balance exceeds one way or the other, thoughts evil in nature are not evil but misunderstood, twisted upside down thoughts of good. When one has a problem, and cannot solve it, he may attract temporary 'sinister' (in your terms) thoughts to either release the frustration of energies pent up, or serve as therapeutic to return balance psychologically, returning thought back to good or allowing the imagination full play in terms of resolution.

You cannot again give weight to every thought, for you cannot process that much information at once and that indeed drives you to insanity. The OCD is in having to deal with every single thought. Be selective in what you find interesting, let the songs play out naturally, and excuse all else, let them go.

Thought has its own reality, magnetically, and will zap from one mind to the next to those with an interest in the topic of information the thought contains. You have a quite healthy and active mind, inquisitive for information. Don't be scared, be selective. Let the brown M&M's go on their merry way to someone who will enjoy them.

Enduronman
09-01-2014, 12:02 PM
I have personally known 3 schizophrenics in my life, and was near them respectively.
They were on my fathers side of the family. Interesting people, also with a very high degree of intelligence although be it somewhat odd as I remember one of them more so than the others.
He would do things such as take out the venting boxes on the roof, leaving a big hole, because he said that it interfered with how he communicated with other worldly beings..aliens.
He was also very complimentary, kind, caring, and a very compassionate person as well.
I got along with him well, and for whatever reasons, understood him too more often than all of our other family members.
He also believed that he was a spy for our Government and was taking part in covert military operations too.
He has since passed but is not forgotten...
He was born that way, and didn't "get" schizophrenia. It was in his genetic makeup. A genetic predisposition.
He also didn't have anxiety of any sort and was somewhat oblivious to the world around him. He didn't struggle with the over-sensitivity that most of us anxious people do.
We tend to worry about everything, everywhere, regarding everyone. He didn't. He was just, who he was. Unique, peculiar, odd, with much character all his own.
I highly doubt that you and your thoughts are anywhere near schizophrenia but just an over-active mind as you appear to be rational from this end.
As you've stated, GAD, hypochondria, and OCD all just play into this irrational fear of something more sinister..
How are you treating these disorders as of now friend?
I hope that you are taking some steps to alleviate the underlying causes of concern.
Wishing you the best!

Enduronman :)