PDA

View Full Version : Been diagnosed citalopram

Tryme
08-29-2014, 12:03 PM
I have been diagnosed citalopram and a course if cbt but the wait is quite long on the nhs (whats new)

I previously did 24 weeks of one to one counselling which helped for a while but when it stopped my anxiety came back with a vengeance.

The doc said it doesnt cause drowsiness but online says it can and it also says it can diminish sex drive and precent you reaching orgasm?

Now im not sure if i should take it

**should say prescribed sorry i was quite busy when typing this

Anne1221
08-29-2014, 07:39 PM
For some people these medications can have sexual side effects. You might want to try the lowest dose possible and see if it does affect you.

Enduronman
08-29-2014, 08:03 PM
Give it a chance friend!
It may be very helpful to you...
Good luck!!

Enduronman :)

superchick22684
08-29-2014, 09:51 PM
I started Lexapro a little less than a week ago and my suggestion to you is to go ahead and give the medication a try. The thing about side effects is that medication affects people differently because we all have different body chemistry. For example, Lexapro side effects include not only drowsiness but also insomnia. The first two days I was on it my doctor prescribed 10 mgs and found that if I woke up in the middle of the night I couldn't get back to sleep. After having some side effects I decided to dial down the dosage to 5 mgs and now the medication makes me sleepy/drowsy.
Best of luck to you! If you choose to take the meds I hope they help.

Tryme
08-30-2014, 07:12 AM
Thanks. Im just concerned about addiction, drowsiness and the sexual side effects.

Hopefully ill be ok.

Thank you

Anne1221
08-30-2014, 07:21 AM
You don't get addicted to antidepressants in the same way you can with drugs that are benzos like Xanax. You can taper off when you don't need them any more. But yes, they can cause drowsiness (in some people), not much if you take a low dose and, yes,some people do experience sexual side effects. You just have to try for yourself and weight the pros and cons.

Tryme
08-30-2014, 07:26 AM
Ive been prescribed 20mg but this sounds like a lot compared to someone saying they were even taking as little as 5mg

Anne1221
08-30-2014, 12:43 PM
Actually, I have to take 5mg because I have two sleep disorders, so I don't have an option of taking more. Hardly anyone takes just 5mg. It's very unusual. And I wouldn't be coping if I didn't have the Buspirone to help my anxiety. That being said, definitely start off with 10mg, then up to 15, and then 20. Unless you're one of those lucky people who don't get a lot of side effects. I think if 10 mg or 15 mg helps you, stick with that. But a lot of people do take 20 mg.

Tryme
09-02-2014, 12:53 PM
I cant bring myself to taking them as im so worried about side effects. My girlfriend is in the early stages of pregnancy and i have this fear i wont be myself when the babys born

Anne1221
09-02-2014, 02:11 PM
I know how you feel. I was afraid too until I HAD to take them. Then I was so glad I did. One thing I can tell you is this; it may be difficult and you may have to go very slow, but you can taper off them if you don't like how you feel on the medication. You have to weigh the pros and cons. I am in bad shape without medication, so it's not an option for me.

Tryme
09-02-2014, 02:36 PM
I see what you are saying. Id say im near enough at that stage. It affects me so bad at work especially as i have to wear ppe for my manufacturing job and although its all up to standard i still worry SO much and cant do certain things and when i get home i think about it day and night. Then theres the regular "illnesses" i worry about