PDA

View Full Version : Is This Anxiety? How Can I Beat It?

pooldrops5
08-20-2014, 10:37 PM
Hello everyone and thanks for reading in advance. Needing some advice for feelings my body is experiencing which I am not understanding. Hoping this post helps me and that it can help others who feel the same and search for answers.

Main Problems
------------------------
My head is filled with lots of brain fog which continues constantly. It's almost like my head is filled up like a helium balloon. Not dizzy, but so foggy. A little hard to explain, but I'm also having moments of what I describe as disconnection. Almost as if I am watching a movie through my eyes instead of actually being grounded in the moment. Also, my nerves often feel like they have electricity running through them...very edgy. None of this used to happen to me! This has all come from nowhere and does not seem to cease (some days are better than others, of course). I also just started having headaches with some frequency.

About Me
----------------
I am a 27 year old guy. 165lbs and 5'8 height. I am used to being fast paced, upbeat, happy and very busy all the time. Very social and always love life. I come from a background of anxious people. My mother used to have anxiety attacks. Never in my life did I have panic or anxiety myself. Sure, I'd get nervous or fixate on things, but nothing ever manifested into physical anxiety.

The Past 6 Months
------------------------------
I've become somewhat different and am having a very hard time understanding what has happened to me and how I can make myself better. Started having trouble in February. As much as I hate to say it, I was foolish and did a pill of MDMA at a party one night. The whole past year I had also been taking Aderall on a regular basis (doctor prescribed...but I don't truly think I needed it). I also drank a few times a week with friends. I always felt fine up until the MDMA pill. That is when things changed...
Shorly there after I had a panic attack on the road to work. Felt like I was going to pass out, had to pull over...the whole awful thing! Went to four doctors in the span of three months. Had all blood work checked. Had an MRI of the brain....the whole bit. Everything comes back normal with no signs of issues. All of the doctors have tried to put me on various medicines (I think its crazy how quickly they want to write prescriptions).

I tried Lexapro for four weeks, but it made me feel like a zombie. Got off of it with the doctors permission (which was hellish). Took Klonopin as needed for a while, as well. Really helped me sleep! I am so scared to become addicted to anything, so I hardly take anti anxiety meds anymore. Whenever I do take one it has to be at night. Can't take them during the day or I almost can't function at work...makes me sleepy and woozy.
When I do take the anti-anxiety pills, I usually get an annoying headache for the next day or so.

What's Going On In My Life
-----------------------------------
I've just moved to a new city. Apartment shopping, started a new job, working on starting a new business on the side, meeting new people....doing everything to get settled and find my way. I absolutely have a lot of added stress and chaos right now. I'm not UNHAPPY about it though. I actually like being busy and running around very much.

Answers
---------------
I've been to four doctors and every one of them tells me this is anxiety. I tend to want to believe them, but I just keep searching for some other answer. It is so difficult to imagine that this is what life has become and that I am tasked with living this way for the remainder of life.
Sometime I wonder if perhaps I'm having a hormonal imbalance. Thoughts? Other times I think that perhaps I have some type of neuro imbalance going on. Can something like that be treated/fixed?

I am willing to do what I need to do to fix this. I want to be normal again. I feel like I've done myself in and have a lot of guilt internally. I am terrified of medicines that alter the mind. The thought of going through trial and error on any anti-depressants or hormones makes me so scared. A family member of mine had an awful medicine induced imbalance that put her in the hospital. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Really appreciate the help and advice. I am positive and am certain things will improve. Just looking for answers and hoping someone out there may understand what I'm experiencing. Thanks a million.

pooldrops5
08-20-2014, 10:45 PM
Let me also mention this odd experience........

Started a new job last week. Was looking forward to it! Went in and had a two hour meeting with my boss who is very upbeat and friendly. Midway through the meeting I began to feel like I may pass out. I had eaten that morning and really didn't think I was nervous about being there with him. I began to fixate on the feelings of becoming lightheaded. Finally it got so bad I had to ask if we could get some food. I had some milk and ate a little bit, which kind of helped. Very embarrassing! It almost seemed like blood sugar dropped, but I've never had low blood sugar in the past! Never!
Is this also anxiety related?? If it is, why would this have kicked on when I had no real fear of going in on this meeting?? Just don't get it...

Xerosnake90
08-20-2014, 11:40 PM
Welcome to the world of anxiety. Your symptoms are all anxiety based in origin as reinforced per your clean slate of health. In regards to the elevation of anxiety after opiate based drugs , I believe the two are only related due to the higher levels of "feel good" stuff going on while high. Once you get off that high your brain returns to normal levels, which if avoidance and such has been in our lives we then peak to higher anxiety levels. Anxiety is based off of avoidance and doubts, thus I believe any linking we do in regards to blaming drugs for anxiety is based on attempting to avoid the truth. We began these drugs after all because they made us feel good. I don't condone drug activity and especially as anxiety had increased it needs to be avoided.

Based on fear and avoidance we often don't know what causes the noticeable symptoms. For some it takes over their lives, for those with a more forwarding and positive lifestyle it turns into an inconvenience that we fix by doing what? More of the same, plus some changes. We must understand our desires and work towards fulfilling them so that we may continue to focus on the things we care about and enjoy. Dig deep and try to understand what you want to do and see if you're taking care of them. It's a journey, some days can be tough, especially once were aware of our symptoms and condition. Persevere and don't look back, someday it'll all be in the past.

pooldrops5
08-21-2014, 10:12 AM
Thank you for your thoughtful responses.
Wondering if anyone suggests any medicines that could help put this all at bay and that are easy on the body. Like I said...scared to start taking something and going through trial and error. Anyone had any great sucsess putting their anxiety to rest with a daily pill?

AnaVictoria
08-21-2014, 11:58 AM
Welcome to our world. You did a great job describing exactly how it feels every time we get an anxiety attack. I hear you. I recently moved to a new town and the process of "starting over again", making new friends, getting used to a new neighborhood, etc, makes me very anxious.

Try Rescue Remedy drops or pastilles. It's made out of natural components and herbs and helps you ease the anxiousness. Usually I take it during the night, since its start working for me right away.

Also, I would recommend chamomile and valerian root tea if you are having problems sleeping. Me personally, I'm not a fan of prescribed MEDs to treat anxiety or panic attacks. I'm always looking for natural remedies. They are safe and won't produce any side effects. Still, talk to your doctor before adding any of these to your treatment.

Xerosnake90
08-21-2014, 02:06 PM
A pill is not in your best interest to easing anxiety, you are simply covering up the issues associated with anxiety and not fixing the root cause. I'm at work and will write a more detailed description of how you can move forward. If you read this before then, I need you to make a mental commitment that you will take my advice and do your best to move forward. Once again, pills don't fix anything. Will reply in a bit.