PDA

View Full Version : can anxiety make it hard to swallow

jasn88
08-18-2014, 06:03 PM
when i start to feel nervous i get this feeling that i cant swallow or that i constantly need to swallow.....can anxiety cause that?

Xerosnake90
08-18-2014, 09:13 PM
Short answer, yes. Check out the symptoms thread to understand just how deep the symptoms can get.

Pumpkin
08-19-2014, 01:42 AM
Yep. When i'm in the middle of an attack I find it hard to swallow... it's not that common for me but it does happen.

My little cousin who is 14 has sadly been suffering from bad anxiety and he's lost quite a bit of weight from it. I'm not 100% filled in on his situation but he's been through a few tests which all prove he's healthy... the x-ray's and other tests came back clean. He says he feels like he cant swallow when he eats.. I think he's afraid of choking and it's gotten so bad that eating is a hassle for him. He eats very little and very slowly now. He's always been an anxious child in the sense that he's afraid of death and something bad happening.... when he gets a nose bleed or a pain in his body he'll have to tell his mom and ask if he's going to be ok. It's extremely sad that he suffers at such a young age.

Long story short, yes.. this is likely a symptom of your anxiety. You should talk to your doctor about it.

jasn88
08-19-2014, 01:41 PM
what are some good was to concentrate on not focusing on it

Matthew Caleb
08-19-2014, 02:09 PM
Yes. My throat hurts and hard to swallow due to my anxiety too. Honestly it goes away on its own after I start doing things and don't focus on it. When I was 5 I swallowed a jaw breaker and it bruised my throat bad. For like 3 months I lived with the same feeling of pain. I'm 27 now and when I feel the pain in my throat I remember when I was 5 and think to myself, if I could handle the pain 3 months day and night when I was 5 I could handle an occasional pain here and there.

Matthew Caleb
08-19-2014, 02:10 PM
When I play video games or have a good video to watch, something captivating, it will go away. On its own time, I can't just get a clock and wait for it to go away, I literally have to forget about it.

jasn88
08-21-2014, 02:24 PM
im hoping to get better