PDA

View Full Version : Let panic run its course?

DillonAitken
08-16-2014, 06:49 PM
I have been told that if you sit still and let a panic attack run its course, the attack can end in just a few minutes. Is this true?

My attacks usually result in an hour or so of hell and struggling, sometimes 5 or 6 hours if it's at night and I can't distract myself. How can I let anxiety run its course and go away quickly? I feel that this may be the key to overcoming my disorder, but have no idea how to let it happen without suffering for hours on end.

Can anyone shed some light on my problem?

Xerosnake90
08-16-2014, 11:29 PM
Panic attacks are just what they say they are. Panic, fear. They're caused by our fear and will be resolved by eliminating the fears from our life. Understanding your fears are the key to eliminating anxiety. This, begin to understand what holds you back and push yourself away from that mindset.

When it comes to panic attacks we must not empower them with fear. Greet your anxiety and panic, acknowledge it and then move on withy your activities. You learn not to focus on the symptoms. By letting them weigh you down you give your panic the reins to your mind, body and life. Empower yourself and keep control. The only sure way to eliminate anxiety is to move on from your fears. Until you do that consider these panic attacks a minor inconvenience.

Joe.
08-17-2014, 02:58 AM
Panic attacks are just what they say they are. Panic, fear. They're caused by our fear and will be resolved by eliminating the fears from our life. Understanding your fears are the key to eliminating anxiety. This, begin to understand what holds you back and push yourself away from that mindset.

When it comes to panic attacks we must not empower them with fear. Greet your anxiety and panic, acknowledge it and then move on withy your activities. You learn not to focus on the symptoms. By letting them weigh you down you give your panic the reins to your mind, body and life. Empower yourself and keep control. The only sure way to eliminate anxiety is to move on from your fears. Until you do that consider these panic attacks a minor inconvenience.

Amazing

I will keep this in mind

Im-Suffering
08-17-2014, 05:14 AM
Good post Xero, if i may add-

It would help all anxiety sufferers to understand that the origins of your anxiety have been forgotten. (Or cleverly hidden).

Anxiety, as an illness, is always the inability to solve your mental or psychological problems in the correct manner. Unsolved the energies become focused on maintaining the symptoms rather than a solution to the original problem, which in most cases becomes hidden over time.

For example, you have problems in life, relationship, money, health, profession, and so forth. You have uncomfortable feelings regarding these matters. They begin to have secondary implications, or offshoots. You may become bored, lifeless, angry, you don't eat well, irritable, and so forth.

The indecision and the acceptance to sit in these normal life issues, rather than solve them as they come up, (with a solution in your best interests), turns to doubt. Exaggerating the original problem. Thus the equation :

Indecision > doubt > worry > fear > physiological symptoms representing repressed emotions and unresolved issues which now that time has passed have been forgotten, in lieu of the symptoms and an acceptance of "this is the way it is"

Thus your life is built around this new reality of illness where all beliefs feed the expectations.

Now it is a mental 'illness' first and foremost as most of you wind up with a clean bill of physical health you see. After multiple ER and medical checkups. That is a common overlooked characteristic of anxiety, that you are healthy !

So the way home is psychological. The answer to why you have anxiety is within the word indecision. Ask yourself in a locked room, "why am I indecisive" "why am I listless in forming my own life according to how I wish it to be". You will find many answers, if you are honest and allow the pain and hurts to surface. Unlock the room only when you find your answers, be determined, decide.

Upon realization you can then begin to change your beliefs consciously, making decisions and solving problems effectively. Give it time, but keep on and there will be relief from the 'illness'.

From the dictionary for your self analysis remembering fear is an offshoot of indecision:

The act or process of deciding; determination, as of a question or doubt, by making a judgment

The act of or need for making up one's mind

Something that is decided; resolution

The quality of being decided; firmness

Lastly, under carefully self analysis most will find they lack decision power for fear of criticism. Or loss, or you were simply told as a child your decisions were wrong, period. The list goes on and is quite personal.

End of post.

DillonAitken
08-17-2014, 09:00 AM

Great post, thank you. The thing is, I have multiple triggers, and multiple things worsen the attacks. First of all it begins with me anticipating an attack. Then, when the symptoms kick in such as nausea, my emetophobia takes over and I start freaking out about the nausea, making the nausea even worse. I end up in a horrible state where I cannot relax for a second as I'm convinced that the worst is on its way.

What I don't get is that I know all the problems. I understand exactly what's happening and the origins of my fear, yet I still can't seem to overcome the anxiety.

I'm wondering what to tackle first: the anticipatory anxiety, or the emetophobia that fuels it.

Good post Xero, if i may add-

It would help all anxiety sufferers to understand that the origins of your anxiety have been forgotten. (Or cleverly hidden).

Anxiety, as an illness, is always the inability to solve your mental or psychological problems in the correct manner. Unsolved the energies become focused on maintaining the symptoms rather than a solution to the original problem, which in most cases becomes hidden over time.

For example, you have problems in life, relationship, money, health, profession, and so forth. You have uncomfortable feelings regarding these matters. They begin to have secondary implications, or offshoots. You may become bored, lifeless, angry, you don't eat well, irritable, and so forth.

The indecision and the acceptance to sit in these normal life issues, rather than solve them as they come up, (with a solution in your best interests), turns to doubt. Exaggerating the original problem. Thus the equation :

Indecision > doubt > worry > fear > physiological symptoms representing repressed emotions and unresolved issues which now that time has passed have been forgotten, in lieu of the symptoms and an acceptance of "this is the way it is"

Thus your life is built around this new reality of illness where all beliefs feed the expectations.

Now it is a mental 'illness' first and foremost as most of you wind up with a clean bill of physical health you see. After multiple ER and medical checkups. That is a common overlooked characteristic of anxiety, that you are healthy !

So the way home is psychological. The answer to why you have anxiety is within the word indecision. Ask yourself in a locked room, "why am I indecisive" "why am I listless in forming my own life according to how I wish it to be". You will find many answers, if you are honest and allow the pain and hurts to surface. Unlock the room only when you find your answers, be determined, decide.

Upon realization you can then begin to change your beliefs consciously, making decisions and solving problems effectively. Give it time, but keep on and there will be relief from the 'illness'.

From the dictionary for your self analysis remembering fear is an offshoot of indecision:

The act or process of deciding; determination, as of a question or doubt, by making a judgment

The act of or need for making up one's mind

Something that is decided; resolution

The quality of being decided; firmness

Lastly, under carefully self analysis most will find they lack decision power for fear of criticism. Or loss, or you were simply told as a child your decisions were wrong, period. The list goes on and is quite personal.

End of post.

Amazing post, thank you!

Hi actually understand anxiety pretty well, which is why it confuses me that I can't seem to overcome this problem.

One of my main problems is that I only experience freuqent anxiety attacks during the Times where I have to go out and do something like attend class. This means that when I'm having attacks, I'm too busy to work on overcoming them, but when I'm not too busy, the attacks aren't present.

DillonAitken
08-17-2014, 09:56 AM
MORE INFO:

After thinking about it more, I can definitely say that I consider myself slightly agoraphobic. When it comes to leaving the house, I even anticipate the anticipatory anxiety that usually precedes the event.

It's ruining my life. I get on with stuff despite the anxiety and it's symptoms, but each time just worsens the worry about next time.