PDA

View Full Version : New psychiatrist & new medication

HelpNeeder
08-14-2014, 09:18 PM
A year ago I found a psychiatrist who understood some English as I am living in Spain. She couldn‘t really speak the language and so last week I decided to find another psychiatrist. Luckily I found one and she’s so hot! As I said in a previous post I have been suffering from anxiety for a few years but I didn’t seek help until last year for the first time. My old psychiatrist prescribed Clonazepam 0.5 mg for a few months and then I took Escitalopram 10 mg for nearly a year. My new psychiatrist says that since I’m still feeling nervous and having bad thoughts after such a long time on that antidepressant that it is clearly not working for me and so she got me started on Clonazepam again, just for a few weeks, and now I’m supposed to take Paroxetine 20 mg from now on. She told me that if my antidepressant is working then I should be anxiety-free or at least near-anxiety-free. She also told me that since I waited so long to seek professional help that my recovery would be more difficult than that of people who seek help immediately but that I should be able to live a good life.

How many antidepressants did you guys have to try out until you found the right one?

With the right antidepressant, would you say that you are anxiety-free?

Xerosnake90
08-14-2014, 09:39 PM
Hello there

First off, no professional should ever tell you that it'll be harder for you to beat anxiety because you didn't seek help right away. Medication is the end of the line and being put on medication right away should also signify that this psychiatrist isn't out for much else rather than a paycheck for you. Anxiety isn't something fixed by popping a pill, the pill only covers it up if significant enough to have a huge effect on your life. You need to learn to quit focusing in negative and quit holding yourself back from doing the things you love and want for yourself. That's how you beat anxiety. If you break your leg you don't go to a doctor and say "no, don't heal my leg. Just give me pain medication to cover up what's bothering me". That's the equivelant here in the situation. I recommend evaluating if your psychiatrist is truly helping you and if not, keep looking for a new one. We here will do our best to help you too so if you have questions ask away.

Take it easy and do well on your journey!

HelpNeeder
08-14-2014, 10:24 PM
Hello there

First off, no professional should ever tell you that it'll be harder for you to beat anxiety because you didn't seek help right away. Medication is the end of the line and being put on medication right away should also signify that this psychiatrist isn't out for much else rather than a paycheck for you. Anxiety isn't something fixed by popping a pill, the pill only covers it up if significant enough to have a huge effect on your life. You need to learn to quit focusing in negative and quit holding yourself back from doing the things you love and want for yourself. That's how you beat anxiety. If you break your leg you don't go to a doctor and say "no, don't heal my leg. Just give me pain medication to cover up what's bothering me". That's the equivelant here in the situation. I recommend evaluating if your psychiatrist is truly helping you and if not, keep looking for a new one. We here will do our best to help you too so if you have questions ask away.

Take it easy and do well on your journey!

My anxiety has been debilitating for years now, it's not something that started yesterday. I only relatively recently sought professional help. There is a history of depression and anxiety in my family and I tried for a long time to live without medication. I eventually gave up because it isn't possible for me. I don't have anxiety-lite.

Xerosnake90
08-14-2014, 10:55 PM
My anxiety has been debilitating for years now, it's not something that started yesterday. I only relatively recently sought professional help. There is a history of depression and anxiety in my family and I tried for a long time to live without medication. I eventually gave up because it isn't possible for me. I don't have anxiety-lite.

And there is your first problem right there. You're letting anxiety control your life instead of you controlling it. Your outlook on anxiety empowers it to thrive. It does NOT matter how long you've had it, how many family members had depression or anxiety, or how long you tried to live without it affecting you. Anxiety is about a mind set and by you dictating how strongly it affects you, you're allowing exactly that to happen. You have to understand and believe that you beating anxiety stems from a positive mindset and you taking control of your life to do the things you want. Not living your life in fear, hiding away and angry at people because you're anxious all the time.

Stop being a victim, which is what you're allowing yourself to be. Allowing, that's the key word.

HelpNeeder
08-14-2014, 11:18 PM
And there is your first problem right there. You're letting anxiety control your life instead of you controlling it. Your outlook on anxiety empowers it to thrive. It does NOT matter how long you've had it, how many family members had depression or anxiety, or how long you tried to live without it affecting you. Anxiety is about a mind set and by you dictating how strongly it affects you, you're allowing exactly that to happen. You have to understand and believe that you beating anxiety stems from a positive mindset and you taking control of your life to do the things you want. Not living your life in fear, hiding away and angry at people because you're anxious all the time.

Stop being a victim, which is what you're allowing yourself to be. Allowing, that's the key word.

You make it sound easy, why are you even here? If you know a magic trick that I don't then please do share and I'll tell the pharmaceutical industry that they can pack their bags. It does matter how long you've had it because after a while it becomes chronic. All I'll say is that I don't have your amazing mind powers and I'd like to start living life again or at least part of it.

superchick22684
08-14-2014, 11:47 PM
I'm not currently on meds but not long after I was diagnosed about seven years ago I was on them for a year. I had to go off of them due to financial issues. Recently I had a talk with my therapist and it looks like I might be going back on meds again.
Anyway to answer your question I tried Effexor and Paxil before I ended up on Cymbalta which worked the best for me. Effexor worked well but after awhile (from what I can remember) I think it became less effective. I wasn't on Paxil very long, too many side effects. From what I can remember my anxiety wasn't completely gone on antidepressants but my anxiety was at a manageable level most of the time and some days I didn't have any.
Sometimes the process of finding a med that works for you can be a task. I'm guessing that she put you back on clonazepam because you found it helpful previously? Also I don't think it was right for her to say that because you waited so long that your recovery would be more difficult. What is important is that fact that you are seeking help and you want to get better. Are you treating your anxiety with meds alone or are you in therapy as well?

Xerosnake90
08-14-2014, 11:59 PM
It's not easy, not in any sense of the word. It's an uphill battle that you must keep going on a daily basis. You come here looking for help and if I have to push I'll push. You have a victim mentality and you want to lash out at others because of it. I'm calling you out and you don't like that. I'm not antagonizing you, but you need to understand what you're doing and how detrimental it is to anxiety as a whole. By being the victim to your anxiety you've already given up control of that aspect. I'm assuming you have some form of OCD so that you can have some control over something. You wanted your first step in beating anxiety, here it is my friend. Stop being a victim!!

No more "I've had it my entire life" or "it's in my family history". These are all excuses for you to cope with your anxiety which has taken hold of your life. You've lost control, you want to live a normal life and find yourself weighed down instead of taking charge. You assume I have it easy and that I don't know what you're going through. I've done just what you are wanting to do. Get past your victim mentality and allow yourself to look at yourself from the outside.

When you can tell me that you understand, I'll continue in helping you understand what anxiety is and how you'll overcome it. If you really want to do this then you'll open your mind. Either that or you'll continue to let yourself be a victim. The choice is yours, and I recommend you make the right one. I'll give you the ability to have a normal life again. But stop being a victim, and open your mind to what I'm going to tell you.

HelpNeeder
08-15-2014, 12:00 AM
Are you treating your anxiety with meds alone or are you in therapy as well?

No therapy so far, she wants to get to know me better first to see what is most appropriate.

Anne1221
08-15-2014, 06:07 PM
You sound like me. Unfortunately for me, I can't make it without medication. And it's been a long process of trying different medications but I've finally landed on Lexapro. I also take Buspar which is very helpful for my anxiety. I have to take the Buspar three times per day or else it doesn't work. (take with food). I think for people with a lot of anxiety, like you and me, well, let me speak for myself anyway, it does not ever go away, I just have to make it more manageable so that I control it rather than vice versa. But with a good psychiatrist and the right medication, things can get better! All the best to you! I have times when it doesn't bother me at all, and other times when it is very bothersome. But my psychiatrist says that's how it is with anxiety.

Dahila
08-15-2014, 08:51 PM
Hi guys I am suffering with anxiety more than 40 years. Your doc is right, if I could overcome my shyness and stygma on mental diseases and go to doc when I could do something, maybe I would have a beautiful and happy life, for sure my children would not grow up being anxious. The rules is go to doc as soon as you have it after first panic attack it is going to be much easier to control it.

Xero you are wrong. The tone you have in every post is as annoying as your mentor's, You are not important the Needhelp is!!!!

I went through everything possible with anxiety, tried every possible medication, Therapy was not the option at the time, there was no frigging therapy just nut hospital.
To answer the OP ; I was I tried to be on meds for years only Celexa worked for me but for a short time. I was off it soon enough. I use benzos for years, of course I am trying to keep it at very low dosage. A year ago I tried 5 kinds of SRRi and finally it was agreed that I am one of the people, than do not response well to this kind of medication. I am on clonazepam 0.5 a day, and gabapentin which also help me with pains:))

Help needed if you feel that you make progress with the psychiatrist and you like her and trust her, stick with here at least for some time. Forum is nice but do not let people to discourage you, or give you any medical advice. You have your doctor for that. We can only share our expierences, that's all.

Xerosnake90
08-15-2014, 09:10 PM
It takes a like mind to find the answers we seek. Those with the power to overcome their problems will find answers in my messages. If one chooses to be a victim then my words will resonate in due time. I do take great pride in learning from I'm suffering, no compromise and only the answers we need to hear.

Take care to both of you and good luck on your journeys.

Anne1221
08-16-2014, 11:16 AM
I totally disagree with your Psychiatrist that it will be harder for you since you waited before seeking help. Once you find the right medications for yourself, you'll feel much better, regardless of when you started. My advice also is to take the smallest dose that will work for you. That way you'll have less of the side effects and get the benefits of feeling better.