PDA

View Full Version : Help! I get anxiety attacks

mattl
06-11-2008, 09:59 PM
Hello.

I have been getting these symptoms for the past six months. When they happen I feel really anxious.

Symptoms:

* shortness of breath
* stomach in a knot
* gas
* nauseous feeling
* feelings of anxiety; might hurt someone or someone might hurt me
* no sharp pain
* happens 2 to 3 times a week, generally in the evening
* Goes away when I sleep and wake up the next morning

What I have been doing:

* Deep breathing
* Massage
* fire cupping

Do you recommend:

* trying kava?

I'm wondering if anyone has a similar experience and what I could try to lessen the symptoms or solve the root cause.

Thank you very much
Matt

kieranlord
06-12-2008, 05:57 AM
Hi Matt, I would advise doing some research on line, or in books, you can often manage your anxieties using self-help, however speaking to your doctor can also help, they can provide you with details of local services, also you can try a support agency such as the phobics society, no panic, or similar.

Talking to others about your experiences is always a welcome relief also.

It sounds like you are already aware of some techniques, the most important thing I found was not to avoid things where possible.

rebeccab1
06-12-2008, 03:04 PM
hi matt. my husband used to get panic attacks all the time. they are really scary. we have wasted lots of money taking him to the emer. room thinking he was having a heart attack and it turned out to be a panic/anxiety attack. he had to go to the dr. and get some meds because it got so bad. then he got addicted to the meds and still had attacks. i did a lot of research on the internet and the thing that i ordered was called panic away. it really helped him a lot. it tells you why you are having attacks, what to do when you start to get one, and what to do to prevent further attacks. since he got that program, he is off meds and is doing great. you might want to try it. i put the link in my signature box at the bottom of the page because they wouldnt let me send it in the message. just click on it and it should take you to the site. i hope i helped you-let me know!

EricH
06-12-2008, 03:47 PM
'I'm wondering if anyone has a similar experience and what I could try to lessen the symptoms or solve the root cause.'

Matt, that's where I'm at also... to solve the root cause.

My own attacks can be mild to extremely severe. I was evaluated and was told that, in large part, my anxiety is "situational"(such as finances, living conditions, job, transportation, etc...)

But along with that, my panic attacks seem to occur mostly when I overeact to bodily sensations such as shortness of breath, or chest pains, heart palpitations or extreme dizinesss. Having those sensations, I tend to go into a mild to full-blown panic attack; mostly because I think I'm on the verge of death, which can further escalate the panic.

For myself, the first warning sign is a change in breathing usually associated with chest pains. That is the key.

The chest pains might be from the heart, but usually are from other muscles in the chest which causes a dissruption in breathing, even though they seem to be from the heart. Only a medical evaluation can differentiate the two.

Anyway, what happens is that the changes in breathing causes too much oxygen and NOT ENOUGH CARBON DIOXIDE to be in the blood system.

This causes mental disorientaion, which can lead to increased panic.

I'm going to stop here because, for myself, I have never had an escalated anxiey event without that bastard breathing disruption happening first. So I need to find ways to control my breathing. I think it might stop further anxiety.

Just some thoughts...

EricH
06-12-2008, 04:23 PM
I should point-out that those who suffer from anxiety disorders may attempt to self-medicate with alcohol, and may become alcoholics.

During an acute anxiety event, the Central Nervous System(CNS) is over-excited, and relief can be found through CNS depressants, such as the drug Ativan, or even alcohol(which is a CNS depressant). And there are others.

In any event, these drugs operate by calming-down an over excited CNS, which can lead to a dramatic, but temporary, relief from anxiety or panic disorder.

The fact that drug treatment was found to be very effective, but TEMPORARY, has given rise to the idea that cognitive(thinking) disorders are the ROOT approach to dealing with anxiety.