PDA

View Full Version : My story: anxiety, energy & sleep

HelpNeeder
08-08-2014, 07:59 PM
I’m a male in my mid-twenties and I have been dealing with an anxiety/panic disorder for three years now. I have only recently sought limited professional help. I was always hoping that it was something that would just pass but it has become rather debilitating. Aside from just feeling anxious frequently and going through infrequent panic attacks I have a lot less energy than I used to have and terribly stressful insomnia.

When this whole thing started I first felt like I was dealing with depression. I was losing sleep and I had limited energy and motivation. Then after a few weeks I began experiencing all kinds of weird physical symptoms: blurry vision, diarrhoea, numbness in my fingers, intense anxiousness, random pain all over my body and inability to fall asleep, sometimes for days. In my naivety, instead of realising that I had a problem with anxiety I became a bit paranoid and convinced that in reality there was something terrible wrong with my body and that I was just very worried about my physical being. I spent months going from doctor to doctor and having all my vitals checked but they all told me that I was healthy as a horse. It then became apparent to me that I was suffering from some sort of anxiety/panic disorder but for some reason my paranoia kept me from seeking help from a psychiatrist. I quit my job and cut of most people, effectively isolating myself at home, rarely going out.

Months went by and slowly I started feeling better. I still had some problems with sleep and nervousness but I was much less paranoid and able to smile and have a good time. I was beginning to think that maybe this whole problem was reversing itself but then one day I had a terrible panic attack. It was a pretty normal day and I was sitting at my computer, maybe surfing YouTube or something. Then I started feeling really hot all over my body, my heart started beating a lot faster. I stood up realising that I was so tense that I couldn’t sit anymore. For what seemed like an eternity I paced around the house, mostly the living room, feeling like I was about to have a heart attack any moment or pass out. It felt like there was something wrapped around my neck, suffocating me. Eventually it stopped, but I felt terrible every waking second for about a week. I ended up going to a hospital and received an injection to calm me down and help me sleep after I had been sleepless for about 2 straight days and a week of poor sleep.

This was the time I decided to seek professional help. I had given up fighting this on my own. My psychiatrist prescribed Clonex (Clonazepam) – to help me short-term with nervousness – for about 4 months and after that I started taking Ectiban (Escitalopram) – an anti-depressant, to help me long-term – which I have been taking for 10 months and continue doing so. My psychiatrist hasn’t really diagnosed me formally but we just talk of my condition as anxiety. I haven’t had many appointments with her but the next time I see her I’m going to ask if I can get something that will help me in those moments when I feel more intense nervousness. When I was taking the Clonex I was nearly free of nervousness but now that I’m just taking the anti-depressant I again alternate between good days and terrible days.

Although I feel some level of nervousness every day I don’t have full-blown panic attacks very often, perhaps 1 or 2 a year. Unlike some people suffering from anxiety, the problems in my life – the sort that we all have as humans – don’t really contribute to my nervousness. I don’t feel stress about my finance or relationships with other people. Aside from those days that I feel anxious for no apparent reason, I usually find that any and all physical discomfort increases my stress levels. For example, just getting the flu stresses me out. I’m prone to migraines and a headache can make me feel nervous. The list of stress inducing things his pretty long but it includes stomach aches and general discomfort (such as gases), sleepiness/tiredness particularly after poor sleep the previous day(s).

We are just getting started though because what I think is my biggest problem so far is my problem with sleep and energy. It has always taken me more time than it takes most people to fall asleep but since the anxiety thing took over my life my circadian clock (sleep clock) has been completely out of whack. This is such a huge problem for me that it is impossible for me to keep a job or any sort of schedule. On a good day I manage to fall asleep around 4 a.m. and on a bad day 8 a.m. It doesn’t really matter how tired I am – my body won’t let me fall asleep. The strangest thing is that even if I manage to fall asleep and stay asleep early-ish I still can’t wake up before 12 a.m. If I wake up before noon what happens is that for a couple of hours I will feel fine. Then I will slowly but surely start feeling tired and after about 4-6 hours of being awake – regardless of how much sleep I got – I will start feeling like you would except someone to feel after having been sleep deprived for about 2-3 days; I get a headache, I get slightly nauseous, nervous and thinking becomes difficult. Sometimes napping can help me at that stage but at other times I just have to suffer for hours until I’m in the time range that I can fall asleep in. Most days I wake up around 1-3 p.m. Even if I get the same amount of sleep (in hours), just the fact that I’m getting up before 12 a.m. means that my body will have this extreme reaction.

This has quite simply ruin my life. I can’t get a job or go to school because then I’d have to get up around 7-8 a.m. which my body doesn’t allow me, as I’ve said, regardless of how long I manage to sleep. The worst part is having everybody around me just thinking that I’m the world’s laziest person. People don’t understand. If you’re in a wheelchair everybody can see your disability but when it’s something invisible you become a weirdo to them. I used to work hard and getting up 7 a.m. and working 12-hour shifts was pretty easy for me but now I’m worse than a 90-year-old.

What will become of me?

Im-Suffering
08-09-2014, 06:02 AM
. The worst part is having everybody around me just thinking that I’m the world’s laziest person. People don’t understand. If you’re in a wheelchair everybody can see your disability but when it’s something invisible you become a weirdo to them. I used to work hard and getting up 7 a.m. and working 12-hour shifts was pretty easy for me but now I’m worse than a 90-year-old.

What will become of me?

You feel no financial stress but you dont work, you have no relationship problems, yet you became a lazy, misunderstood weirdo to them, and you just want to be seen for who you are. You've got some childhood issues that mostly circle around the fear of criticism. Solve these mental or psychological problems within yourself and you'll be able to sleep again. With less trembling in the body.

Look at yourself honestly which involves recognition of issues you have kept hidden from yourself:

SYMPTOMS OF THE FEAR OF CRITICISM

This fear destroys initiative, and discourages the use of imagination. The major symptoms of the fear are:

SELF-CONSCIOUSNESS.

Generally expressed through nervousness, timidity in conversation and in meeting strangers, awkward movement of the hands and limbs, shifting of the eyes.

LACK OF POISE.

Expressed through lack of voice control, nervousness in the presence of others, poor posture of body, poor memory.

PERSONALITY.

Lacking in firmness of decision, personal charm, and ability to express opinions definitely. The habit of side-stepping issues instead of meeting them squarely. Agreeing with others without careful examination of their opinions.

INFERIORITY COMPLEX.

The habit of expressing self-approval by word of mouth and by actions, as a means of covering up a feeling of inferiority. Using "big words" to impress others, (often without knowing the real meaning of the words). Imitating others in dress, speech and manners. Boasting of imaginary achievements. This sometimes gives a surface appearance of a feeling of superiority.

EXTRAVAGANCE.

The habit of trying to "keep up with the Joneses," spending beyond one's income.

LACK OF INITIATIVE.

Failure to embrace opportunities for self-advancement, fear to express opinions, lack of confidence in one's own ideas, giving evasive answers to questions asked by superiors, hesitancy of manner and speech, deceit in both words and deeds.

LACK OF AMBITION.

Mental and physical laziness, lack of self-assertion, slowness in reaching decisions, easily influenced by others, the habit of criticising others behind their backs and flattering them to their faces, the habit of accepting defeat without protest, quitting an undertaking when opposed by others, suspicious of other people without cause, lacking in tactfulness of manner and speech, unwillingness to accept the blame for mistakes

Anne1221
08-09-2014, 11:31 AM
I have strugged with this same type of thing for years. how much of the lexapro do you take? It might be affecting your sleep. Talk to your doctor about cutting back a bit, if you can. I had to just "tough it out" as my doctor told me, get up early and just drink coffee (but not too much as it affects my sleep). That may not work for you. I've been seeing sleep doctors for years and had 5 sleep studies. But the bottom line for me, unfortunately, was that I had to cut my Lexapro from 10 mg per day to 5pm per day in order to wake up at a decent hour. I compensated for the increased anxiety by taking Buspar, 3 times per day (2 doesn't work for me) and I take it with food (empty stomach not as good) . Good luck.

HelpNeeder
08-11-2014, 07:33 PM
To "I'm suffering":

My wife works and we get by just fine. I was talking about other people, out in society, not family nor friends. I don't care to respond to the rest of your template.

HelpNeeder
08-11-2014, 07:42 PM
I have strugged with this same type of thing for years. how much of the lexapro do you take? It might be affecting your sleep. Talk to your doctor about cutting back a bit, if you can. I had to just "tough it out" as my doctor told me, get up early and just drink coffee (but not too much as it affects my sleep). That may not work for you. I've been seeing sleep doctors for years and had 5 sleep studies. But the bottom line for me, unfortunately, was that I had to cut my Lexapro from 10 mg per day to 5pm per day in order to wake up at a decent hour. I compensated for the increased anxiety by taking Buspar, 3 times per day (2 doesn't work for me) and I take it with food (empty stomach not as good) . Good luck.

I'm assuming that Lexapro is what I call Ectiban (Escitalopram). I take one tablet (10 mg) every day when I wake up, whenever that happens to be. I don't really know what it's for since I still get quite anxious and I've been taking it for 10 months. My sleeping problems however started long before I started taking that. I'd never heard of Buspar (Buspirone) before but I'll ask around. The thing is that now I'm getting a new psychiatrist. I hate how many of them don't want to prescribe anything because they say that pharmaceutical drugs are too addictive or dangerous and some even recommend Buddhism and such nonsense! I sometimes wonder if they're trying to kill me or drive me to suicide! I'm living in Spain and so I need an English-speaking psychiatrist and they're hard to come by.