PDA

View Full Version : Health anxiety? Perhaps this can help?

Lilac
08-07-2014, 03:05 PM
Dear all,

This post is dedicated to those of your who are struggling with health anxiety. I want to give you the perfect example that every symptom you are experiencing, "seeing" and "feeling" is created by your mind. I want to do that by sharing parts of my story. You should definitely read it, because some of this (the way your mind is set) concerns you.

I have always been a self destructive person, and to keep a long story short, I developed an eating disorder. I do not have an official diagnosis, but I have definitely been struggling with what I would call an atypical eating disorder with bulimic tendencies. It got a lot worse in 2010.

Whenever I looked at myself in the mirror, I had the same thought as anyone with an eating disorder: fat. I have always been normal weight (because my rationality is as strong as my irrationality, and never let the eating disorder destroy me completely), and was borderline underweight a year ago. I used to measure my body (especially thighs and stomach) several times a day. I also used to step on the scale at least 10 times a day. I knew every measurement, believe me. And I could also see that during the day, I could gain an inch around my thighs! I think everyone does that; it's simply because gravity hits you, and you eat and drink. But because I KNEW those measurements, I freaked out. I could throw up even water, if I felt full or uncomfortable. So when I had periods of healthy eating habits, I'd struggle with water retention.

Enough about that; my eating disorder behaviour is not the point of this story, but just keep in mind that I knew every measurement of my body, my weight, and that I had this vision that I was extremely fat.

All this became better when I started cognitive therapy. Sure there is a long way to go, with may challenges and drawbacks. But I had started eating more, I gained 4 kg in a year, and most importantly: I accepted it! I was still thinking I was way too fat, but after living with the extra 4 kg for half a year, I became used to it really.

Then came the health anxiety, which I have written about several places in this forum. Also a long story short, I became scared of motor neuron diseases (MND, or ALS in particular). This particular fear was like a slap in my face: it came so suddenly. I have never had health anxiety before (only GAD and separation anxiety).

MND destroys the motor neurons that control voluntarily muscle movements. You become (and this is clinical, not subjective, there is a huge difference!) weak because you can no longer move your arms and legs (usually starts with one arm or leg). Then you will see muscle wasting (atrophy), and your body will become very thin.

Now, what is the reason I tell you about this disease in detail you ask? To scare my fellow hypochondriacs? Definitely not. In fact, it's just the opposite.

For what happened inside my brain when the MND anxiety took over my brain and I COMPLETELY forgot about any eating disorders? I started seeing my body in a different light. Keep in mind that today, after three months with fear of MND, my weight and measurements are still the same. There is no difference. The only difference is that I can actually see a bit MORE muscle definition, because the MND anxiety made me ignore the eating disorder, so I was now eating and drinking more or less like everyone else. So my bodily functions had started working again. My metabolism was nearly the normal range. So naturally, my body stopped retaining water and I didn't feel as "jiggly" as I felt before. I also went to the toilet like a normal person.

So I didn't lose any weight - physically, my body was doing better now that my brain had shifted focus. And that is the point: Even though I had the same weight and measurements, I went from seeing a fat whale in the mirror, to seeing a poor, ill and atrophied girl. I kept staring at myself in the mirror, but instead of telling myself: "you're so fat and jiggly", I was saying: "Oh god, I have no thighs left! Whats happening to my calves? My arms are gone. What is that dent? Is that atrophy? Oh no, my left hand is smaller than the right one", and "I feel weak, I will stumble soon. I can't walk. I have no strength".

The same exact weight (+/- a few pounds of course) and measurements, but a different state of mind. My brain had forgotten about the vision of being fat. I used to look for anything that could confirm my belief that I was fat, so naturally that was all I could see. Now, I was specifically looking for anything that could be linked to MND/ALS and confirm my fear, so I began seeing atrophy everywhere, and started feeling weak.

So dearest friends, to all of you who are currently experiencing different horrifying symptoms: remember that your brain wants you to believe it is something serious or dangerous. You ARE looking for anything that confirms your fear. And what you "see" is what you get. It's all about believing, and I think our fellow member Im-Suffering has said this before. I begin to understand this now.

Please do not always listen to your brain. It is pretty "captain obvious", but I wanted to show you a specific case. I think my situation paints a perfect picture of the ability to brainwash yourself.

So when I had my walk this morning, and suddenly got hit by the thought "you are going to be fine", the perceived weakness I've had and the atrophy I think I see, disappeared. Again, a different state of mind.

I hope this was useful at least to some of you. This is why you can jump from one illness to another. Yes, sometimes we CAN get sick, but we have to learn the difference. If you are like me and feeling better, even for a few minutes, with a positive state of mind, the symptoms will go away. Even for a little moment.

I send you all lots of strength.

NixonRulz
08-07-2014, 03:50 PM
Where the mind goes, energy flows and the results are soon to show.

It's actually quite simple yet I completely understand how difficult it can be to change those thought patterns

Good post.

Lilac
08-08-2014, 05:38 AM
Thank you, that is very true. If it wasn't difficult, we wouldn't have a problem :)

Joe.
08-08-2014, 07:03 AM
Dear all,

This post is dedicated to those of your who are struggling with health anxiety. I want to give you the perfect example that every symptom you are experiencing, "seeing" and "feeling" is created by your mind. I want to do that by sharing parts of my story. You should definitely read it, because some of this (the way your mind is set) concerns you.

I have always been a self destructive person, and to keep a long story short, I developed an eating disorder. I do not have an official diagnosis, but I have definitely been struggling with what I would call an atypical eating disorder with bulimic tendencies. It got a lot worse in 2010.

Whenever I looked at myself in the mirror, I had the same thought as anyone with an eating disorder: fat. I have always been normal weight (because my rationality is as strong as my irrationality, and never let the eating disorder destroy me completely), and was borderline underweight a year ago. I used to measure my body (especially thighs and stomach) several times a day. I also used to step on the scale at least 10 times a day. I new every measurement, believe me. And I could also see that during the day, I could gain an inch around my thighs! I think everyone does that; it's simply because gravity hits you, and you eat and drink. But because I KNEW those measurements, I freaked out. I could throw up even water, if I felt full or uncomfortable. So when I had periods of healthy eating habits, I'd struggle with water retention.

Enough about that; my eating disorder behaviour is not the point of this story, but just keep in mind that I knew every measurement of my body, my weight, and that I had this vision that I was extremely fat.

All this became better when I started cognitive therapy. Sure there is a long way to go, with may challenges and drawbacks. But I had started eating more, I gained 4 kg in a year, and most importantly: I accepted it! I was still thinking I was way too fat, but after living with the extra 4 kg for half a year, I became used to it really.

Then came the health anxiety, which I have written about several places in this forum. Also a long story short, I became scared of motor neuron diseases (MND, or ALS in particular). This particular fear was like a slap in my face: it came so suddenly. I have never had health anxiety before (only GAD and separation anxiety).

MND destroys the motor neurons that control voluntarily muscle movements. You become (and this is clinical, not subjective, there is a huge difference!) weak because you can no longer move your arms and legs (usually starts with one arm or leg). Then you will see muscle wasting (atrophy), and your body will become very thin.

Now, what is the reason I tell you about this disease in detail you ask? To scare my fellow hypochondriacs? Definitely not. In fact, it's just the opposite.

For what happened inside my brain when the MND anxiety took over my brain and I COMPLETELY forgot about any eating disorders? I started seeing my body in a different light. Keep in mind that today, after three months with fear of MND, my weight and measurements are still the same. There is no difference. The only difference is that I can actually see a bit MORE muscle definition, because the MND anxiety made me ignore the eating disorder, so I was now eating and drinking more or less like everyone else. So my bodily functions had started working again. My metabolism was nearly the normal range. So naturally, my body stopped retaining water and I didn't feel as "jiggly" as I felt before. I also went to the toilet like a normal person.

So I didn't lose any weight - physically, my body was doing better now that my brain had shifted focus. And that is the point: Even though I had the same weight and measurements, I went from seeing a fat whale in the mirror, to seeing a poor, ill and atrophied girl. I kept staring at myself in the mirror, but instead of telling myself: "you're so fat and jiggly", I was saying: "Oh god, I have no thighs left! Whats happening to my calves? My arms are gone. What is that dent? Is that atrophy? Oh no, my left hand is smaller than the right one", and "I feel weak, I will stumble soon. I can't walk. I have no strength".

The same exact weight (+/- a few pounds of course) and measurements, but a different state of mind. My brain had forgotten about the vision of being fat. I used to look for anything that could confirm my belief that I was fat, so naturally that was all I could see. Now, I was specifically looking for anything that could be linked to MND/ALS and confirm my fear, so I began seeing atrophy everywhere, and started feeling weak.

So dearest friends, to all of you who are currently experiencing different horrifying symptoms: remember that your brain wants you to believe it is something serious or dangerous. You ARE looking for anything that confirms your fear. And what you "see" is what you get. It's all about believing, and I think our fellow member Im-Suffering has said this before. I begin to understand this now.

Please do not always listen to your brain. It is pretty "captain obvious", but I wanted to show you a specific case. I think my situation paints a perfect picture of the ability to brainwash yourself.

So when I had my walk this morning, and suddenly got hit by the thought "you are going to be fine", the perceived weakness I've had and the atrophy I think I see, disappeared. Again, a different state of mind.

I hope this was useful at least to some of you. This is why you can jump from one illness to another. Yes, sometimes we CAN get sick, but we have to learn the difference. If you are like me and feeling better, even for a few minutes, with a positive state of mind, the symptoms will go away. Even for a little moment.

I send you all lots of strength.

Great post! Im going through a lot of health anxiety right now, i believe i have terminal cancer......i will think of this

Im-Suffering
08-08-2014, 07:04 AM
Thank you, that is very true. If it wasn't difficult, we wouldn't have a problem :)

I am glad you are beginning to understand, the intuitive knowledge is coming through, as inspirations, or hunches, and they make you feel good. (During your walk) I will however add :

Brains are not to blame, now -

I have repeatedly told both of you, and anyone listening, thoughts do not originate in your brains. Because the voices seem to originate in your heads, do you place validity only within your skull, and if the thoughts are yours solely, another words, trapped in your head, then you must manufacture them. Manufacturing them you then have a problem, you must be crazy.

If all thought was wrapped up in your brains, then after you die, and subsequently have no body, you would cease to think, or for that matter, exist, period. And I am telling you, you are as dead now, as you'll ever be.

Thoughts are in the ether, shared by all of creaturehood, yes you are a creature, so part of that. You draw thoughts to you by the law of attraction, you get what you expect, no exceptions. Good or bad. You get what you want and don't want. In easy to understand terms, there is a library, or pool of thoughts, that you dip into attracting to you information in line with your beliefs. Your brain is a tool that interprets electromagnetic waves into language which you then can understand, sifting through the myriad of thoughts out there choosing one in a linear fashion, after the next. The brain with its neuronal synapse system slows down time enough for the wording to be coherent.

I can only help you so much, and that could be a great deal, but you must desire to be enlightened, that desire would attract knowledge as I have been doing, with great patience.

Our good friend Joe in the post above this has given us a great example. Now he believes he has terminal cancer, this is his dominant thought. He then sends out a signal, and by attraction, receives back similar patterns from the bank of human thought. His peers in hospitals, at home, hypochondriacs, some who actually have the illness, some who are dying, some who only dream about it, our friend Joe is attracting from fear, and emotional intensity, all thoughts in the universe related to his query. It then becomes his reality, you see.

He is not attracting from a loving standpoint, for it would not be in the self best interests if his thought was physically created. Any emotion other than love is a distorted version of love, and in a way meant to guide you back to a loving place. Love in truth is all there is.

This post alone should be in the Smithsonian under "I am not my brain, I am more".

End of post.

With love, Lilac, you are doing wonderfully.

JohnC
08-08-2014, 10:49 AM
For Im-suffering
If all thought was wrapped up in your brains, then after you die, and subsequently have no body, you would cease to think, or for that matter, exist, period. And I am telling you, you are as dead now, as you'll ever be.

I am very intrigued by this statement Im-Suffering. Can you elaborate on how you know this or explain in layman's terms what you are saying?

Im-Suffering
08-08-2014, 01:00 PM
For Im-suffering

I am very intrigued by this statement Im-Suffering. Can you elaborate on how you know this or explain in layman's terms what you are saying?

I wanted her to see the independence between thought and the brain. The creative imagination, inspiration, hunches, intuition, great works in art and film require one to be out of their mind, if you will. She should think of the brain as a tool, but not the fount from where life springs. Not to blame her brain, for that is dangerous to the well being of the psyche, to think that horrid thoughts originate in their head alone. Thinking a thought immediately draws to you more information on the subject. Making your creation possible. But the brain is not the library, mankind, your peers, your brothers and sisters, are. You are all one. There is a constant evolution of thought, growth, as thoughts are contributed and collaborated. Indeed you do make a difference. In depression, and repression there is a stifling of this, a blockage of incoming (beneficial) thought that would free the individual from the self imposed chains, liberating the psyche and all the illness including anxiety. For it is natural to contribute, understanding all of what has been said.

Thinking a thought as Joe did, about sickness, immediately draws to you similar thoughts from the universe, allowing you deeper contemplation of the subject, taking you as far as you wish to go.

Understanding the freedom of thought from your bodies removes any self imposed limits, you can then hopefully create responsibly (thy purpose) and in the best interests of the self, joyfully.

If thought is indeed separate from the physical apparatus, then you are as dead now as you'll ever be. This belief will change your life, and help you to maximize your potential in the moment. All your power, every thought, is in the moment.

We can go on and truly write a book here, if one already hasn't been written, there is so much more, but this is a core point.

JohnC
08-08-2014, 01:06 PM
Thanks Im-Suffering for the explanation :)

Xerosnake90
08-08-2014, 04:46 PM
When I got sick in May with stomach flu anxiety took over. I could've been healed in 2 or 3 weeks. Instead I kept believing I was sick. It turned into a nearly two month stint of me barely feeding myself. I went down from 145 to 125, and I never really saw myself as much skinnier until I "looked" after hearing I look like I lost weight. I started believing it too and hated my body image. It was another detrimental idea that dragged me down in regards of anxiety. I didn't understand I was suffering from anxiety until 3 to 4 weeks ago and ever since then it's been a climb up the ladder. Since then I've been lifting harder in the gym, eating real food and better quantities, no more junk food. I feel transformed and my body image is positive again. Every week I work out I imagine myself building more muscle and not just looking like I used to, but even better.

My physical symptoms are being forgotten. Now I just need to stop feeling my body all the time. I work myself up feeling my lymph nodes, or lumps of fat under the skin. Not productive, but always improving.