PDA

View Full Version : To Go On Meds Or To Not Go On Meds, That Is The Question

superchick22684
08-01-2014, 11:35 AM
I've been pretty quiet in here so I'll do a short reminder of my back history. First panic attack was in Fall 2005, I was in college at the time and was rushed by ambulance to the ER where after about 10 minutes everything had normalized. That panic attack was the first of many which led me to the college's counseling center in early 2006, after that group therapy and individual therapy. It was decided after awhile that meds added to the equation would help. I was on Effexor, then Paxil and finally Cymbalta (which I was on the until February 2007). Due to financial issues I had to taper off Cymbalta on my own, thankfully I had pretty minor withdrawal symptoms.

My panic disorder and dysthmia (depression) have never really gone away. I've just kind of done what I can to tread water the last 7 years. At the end of April I found a place where I could start therapy again. They work on a sliding scale thankfully since I don't have insurance. Yesterday I had a conversation with my therapist about whether she thinks I would benefit from going back on medication. She is very supportive of the idea and stated that based on what she's observed and what I've expressed in therapy that my symptoms are hitting me pretty hard. She believes that while the therapy is helping that adding meds in combination with the therapy could be quite effective.

Here comes my thoughts. The first thing that she brought up was benzos. My lifestyle is no alcohol and no drugs, except for the occasional pain reliever for a migraine or antibiotics for a sinus infection for example. I've read about how strong benzos are and while there is no history of addiction in my family or in my own past there's a part of me that has an aversion to the idea of using something that powerful.

The idea of going back on antidepressants would be something I'm okay with but only because I've noticed a difference in my symptoms and behaviors by using them previously. At the same time I don't like the idea of feeling like I'm dependent on a pill to make everything better. To complicate things my boyfriend of a year has expressed that while he wants me to be happy/feel better that he doesn't like the idea of me going on medication and that overall he has a "bad feeling" about the idea. He has expressed that he will support any decision that I make.

A few symptoms that I have experienced recently that are making me lean towards the medication route is that sleeping is becoming difficult and my ability to stay on task and focus seems to be getting progressively worse as well. My appetite has gone from being able to eat three meals and snacks here and there to almost have to force myself to eat. I'm not "wasting away" but my anxiety levels are killing my appetite. I used to enjoy food and now it's just a means to keep my body fueled enough so that I don't pass out.

I know that obviously nobody on the board is a medical professional but I figured the best place to get some answers/thoughts/opinions would be here. I don't really have anyone else to talk to about this stuff. I guess the question is would meds be a valid option that I should be considering? If not what are some other options?

Steven Miller
08-01-2014, 12:05 PM
Well I have a philosophy about meds which I don't hear a lot. I think its pretty good so I'm not sure why not.

Try the meds out.

Here's the thing, they will act relatively quickly, so you can judge if they are a help. You can also monitor side effects. Then its a simple cost/benefit analysis. Does the benefits of the drug outweigh the side effects?

Okay lets say the drug helps and there are no side effects. But you are worried about long-term stuff like getting dependent. I am not a doctor and I would really like it if someone would correct me if I'm wrong here but... my understanding is these drugs don't really alter your brain chemistry permanently. maybe at really high doses, but not normal. So the only scare left is the withdrawl. But if you are very careful and taper very slowly you can handle it just fine.

So I say try it.

People make it into such a huge decision (I did), but I don't think it has to be.

nf1234
08-01-2014, 02:01 PM
Have you tried anything natural? There are many supplements that work actually better than medications without the side effects. It is more of a permanent fix than a bandaid. The fact that some anti-depressants have helped you is a good sign. They work on the serotonin levels in your brain. You could try Tryptohphan or 5-htp which directly convert into serotonin. I would leave benzos as a last resort. Even if you do not have an addictive personality, if you take them long enough your body is hooked. They can be helpful here and there but once again there are many natural alternatives. The good thing about supplements is you can try it out and stop it cold turkey with no effects. If you are interested, I know a whole lot about natural alternatives and can make some suggestions.

superchick22684
08-01-2014, 06:17 PM
Have you tried anything natural? There are many supplements that work actually better than medications without the side effects. It is more of a permanent fix than a bandaid. The fact that some anti-depressants have helped you is a good sign. They work on the serotonin levels in your brain. You could try Tryptohphan or 5-htp which directly convert into serotonin. I would leave benzos as a last resort. Even if you do not have an addictive personality, if you take them long enough your body is hooked. They can be helpful here and there but once again there are many natural alternatives. The good thing about supplements is you can try it out and stop it cold turkey with no effects. If you are interested, I know a whole lot about natural alternatives and can make some suggestions.

The only thing that I've tried that could be considered natural would be chamomile tea. Whenever I have a cup it doesn't take long before I feel less stressed and more relaxed, however it usually only lasts about an hour then the effects wear off. My only question with the natural options is how do you determine how much you can take? Also if I take something I want to make sure that there's little to no chance that it will make me worse.

NixonRulz
08-01-2014, 06:25 PM
I've been pretty quiet in here so I'll do a short reminder of my back history. First panic attack was in Fall 2005, I was in college at the time and was rushed by ambulance to the ER where after about 10 minutes everything had normalized. That panic attack was the first of many which led me to the college's counseling center in early 2006, after that group therapy and individual therapy. It was decided after awhile that meds added to the equation would help. I was on Effexor, then Paxil and finally Cymbalta (which I was on the until February 2007). Due to financial issues I had to taper off Cymbalta on my own, thankfully I had pretty minor withdrawal symptoms.

My panic disorder and dysthmia (depression) have never really gone away. I've just kind of done what I can to tread water the last 7 years. At the end of April I found a place where I could start therapy again. They work on a sliding scale thankfully since I don't have insurance. Yesterday I had a conversation with my therapist about whether she thinks I would benefit from going back on medication. She is very supportive of the idea and stated that based on what she's observed and what I've expressed in therapy that my symptoms are hitting me pretty hard. She believes that while the therapy is helping that adding meds in combination with the therapy could be quite effective.

Here comes my thoughts. The first thing that she brought up was benzos. My lifestyle is no alcohol and no drugs, except for the occasional pain reliever for a migraine or antibiotics for a sinus infection for example. I've read about how strong benzos are and while there is no history of addiction in my family or in my own past there's a part of me that has an aversion to the idea of using something that powerful.

The idea of going back on antidepressants would be something I'm okay with but only because I've noticed a difference in my symptoms and behaviors by using them previously. At the same time I don't like the idea of feeling like I'm dependent on a pill to make everything better. To complicate things my boyfriend of a year has expressed that while he wants me to be happy/feel better that he doesn't like the idea of me going on medication and that overall he has a "bad feeling" about the idea. He has expressed that he will support any decision that I make.

A few symptoms that I have experienced recently that are making me lean towards the medication route is that sleeping is becoming difficult and my ability to stay on task and focus seems to be getting progressively worse as well. My appetite has gone from being able to eat three meals and snacks here and there to almost have to force myself to eat. I'm not "wasting away" but my anxiety levels are killing my appetite. I used to enjoy food and now it's just a means to keep my body fueled enough so that I don't pass out.

I know that obviously nobody on the board is a medical professional but I figured the best place to get some answers/thoughts/opinions would be here. I don't really have anyone else to talk to about this stuff. I guess the question is would meds be a valid option that I should be considering? If not what are some other options?

If the meds seemed to have helped before, by all means take them. Take them as you are going through your therapy and you can decide when, if ever, you come off of them.

I understand not wanting to depend on a med everyday but then again, I would rather take a pill everyday for the rest if my life than to have to deal with anxiety again.

That's your call but if it was blood pressure or diabetes, would you resist taking a pill everyday because you don't want to depend on them? Probably not

People feel there is a stigma with thanking meds for mental peace. I say wear it like a badgeof honor.

Regarding benzos, many people take them for immediate relief from very high anxiety. Meds take a few months to fully take affect so it may be a good option for you while you wait.

And yes, some people can become addicted but people get addicted to almost anything. Seeing that you have a concern of it makes me believe you would take them sparingly.

The bottom line is do whatever helps you feel better. Doing anything to help is better than the alternative. Feeling like hell from anxiety.

I hear people say that natural remedies have helped. They did absolutely nothing for me but liberate dollars from my wallet.

But it is trial and error. When one isn't helping, don't be discouraged and try something else

Something WILL work for you. Just have to find it

You're doing the right things.

I believe you are going to own this thing really soon

nf1234
08-01-2014, 08:19 PM
The only thing that I've tried that could be considered natural would be chamomile tea. Whenever I have a cup it doesn't take long before I feel less stressed and more relaxed, however it usually only lasts about an hour then the effects wear off. My only question with the natural options is how do you determine how much you can take? Also if I take something I want to make sure that there's little to no chance that it will make me worse.

Depending on what the supplement there are pretty standard doses. Most things you will feel about an hour after taking so I just start small and take notes. For example 5-HTP comes in 50mg and 100mg. I would try the 50 and split it in half or maybe even less. Tryptophan comes in 500mg as the smallest so I'd try that and maybe take half a capsule.

As far as feeling worse, it is possible but supplements are in and out of your body quickly so it won't last. If you start small you don't have much to worry about. The most that will happen is you could have a slight increase in anxiety for a couple hours. But its rare. These are things we find in our foods daily so we are already consuming them just in small amounts.

There is a book on all of this. It helps you narrow down what you need and tells you what to take and how much and what time of the day. Its called The Mood Cure by Julia Ross. I suggest checking it out. If you don't feel like getting the book then I would recommend trying some supplements.

Natural Calm Magnesium is the #1 thing id recommend. You can take as much as you want and there are no side effects. Check out the reviews on Amazon.

After that I would say you want to boost your serotonin since the SSRI's seemed to help you. This is where I'd try Tryptophan. Gets some 500mg by a good brand like Now Foods, Jarrow, or Source Naturals. Try half of the capsules at first and work your way up. These are mild and shouldn't produce negative side effects. As with everything, I always goto Amazon or iHerb and read product reviews. These supplements help A LOT of people.

Id would try those two first. And if you are going to pick one, go with the Natural Calm. After those two you can look at boosting your GABA levels. This is what Benzos do. Supplements like Glycine and Taurine help boost these levels. They are amino acids so they are found in protein. If you want to pick one id say Glycine. You don't need to worry about it making you worse.

superchick22684
08-01-2014, 11:14 PM
Thank you to everyone who has replied so far. I'm going to set up an appointment with my GP soon to figure out how to proceed whether that be trying supplements or going on medication. I want to figure out a plan of action soon because it seems like the symptoms are getting progressively worse each day.

needtogetwell
08-02-2014, 04:48 AM
Hi superchick,

You seem to have a very level head on your shoulders. I understand the internal debate you are having, I too have just gone through it.

After being off ADs for 2 years I have just started them again, today is day 3. I simply came to the conclusion that living with increased anxiety (mine is hormone induced) simply wasn't worth it.

Much like Nixon said, I would rather take a pill once a day than live with the uncertainty of when the next anxiety/panic attack would hit. But that is me.

Have a good talk with your GP and come to a decision together. You will make the right decision for you, not for anyone else. Keep in mind, unless someone had lived with this condition it is very difficult to understand just how debilitating it can be.

I wish you better days ahead.
Cheers

superchick22684
08-02-2014, 10:54 AM
Thank you needtogetwell! Just saw your thread that you started about your new meds journey and wished you the best. I feel better about the prospect of using something to combat the anxiety whether that be supplements or meds this time more than I did seven years ago. The only thing I dread is the adjustment process of trying to figure out what type of med/supplement and dosage works for me.
I wish you better days ahead as well :)

Anne1221
08-03-2014, 08:37 PM
By all means, give the medication a good try! I didn't see any really compelling reasons for you NOT to take them, but a huge, very compelling reason to take them. If your anxiety is so bad that you have lost your appetite, that is affecting your life detrimentally in a large way. Give it a try!! I love my Lexapro! What a difference it has made it my life.

Anne1221
08-03-2014, 08:39 PM
By the way, I'm very big into nutrition and have been learning a lot about how important healthy eating is to our overall health. I worry that you will get sick if you're not eating properly. The down side of SSRI's in my life is they do tend to make me feel tired and want to eat more. I combat that by taking the smallest dose I can get by with.

JaneB
08-03-2014, 09:31 PM
I've been on and off meds for a long time with mixed results. Your bf's feelings about you taking meds seem a little extreme with his "bad feeling" and all that (tho at least he supports your decision!) ... but I know what you mean about not wanting to feel dependent on pills to be ok. I kinda feel like that about antidepressants too. And benzos have their downsides for sure. Personally they make me really sleepy, so I can't take them during the day, which is mostly when my anxiety is an issue (work ugh).

I went off meds at the end of last year and have been experimenting with different supplements. Sometime in March or April I started taking this supplement Tranquilene (http://www.tranquilene.com/tranquilene_formula.php), which has tryptophan in it (which someone else was suggesting upthread) and a bunch of other stuff, mostly herbs, vitamins, etc. It's actually been surprisingly effective, I think I may have finally found something that works for me. I gave one of my coworkers a few recently when she was having really bad anxiety at work, and she told me that she went home and ordered a bottle that night haha. I like that it works when anxiety hits you and you can take it like you would a benzo, to get relief in the moment (but without feeling "messed up" from it). But also since I've been taking it every day for a few months now I've noticed my anxiety is a lot easier to deal with. I haven't really had any side effects, I just can't take it on an empty stomach or my stomach feels a little weird after.

So anyway, I second the suggestion of looking into natural options before going back on meds! I think meds are kind of a last resort thing for me at this point, and I don't see myself going down that road anytime soon. I'm still really excited about how well that tranquilene has been working for me, I was pretty skeptical that natrual stuff would help, but I guess I've been "converted" haha

superchick22684
08-03-2014, 11:06 PM
By the way, I'm very big into nutrition and have been learning a lot about how important healthy eating is to our overall health. I worry that you will get sick if you're not eating properly. The down side of SSRI's in my life is they do tend to make me feel tired and want to eat more. I combat that by taking the smallest dose I can get by with.

Though the anxiety is kind of killing my appetite I'm making a conscious effort to try and eat anyway even if I'm not super hungry. I'm making sure I eat at this point so that I can function and hopefully not get sick.

Unrelated to appetite I had one panic attack Friday night and then two panic attacks last night within about 30 minutes of each other (guesstimate) after not having a panic attack for about 3 weeks. I think I'm stressing myself out :/