PDA

View Full Version : Tired of being told I don't handle stress well from "friends"

tobo5
07-30-2014, 10:22 AM
I know I suffer from anxiety and I know I don't handle stress well but it is so discouraging to be told this by others. I feel like I can't talk to anyone when I am suffering because they always make me feel worse by saying things like "You are too sensitive" "You've never handled stress well" "No wonder you are thin" I always feel worse when I try to open up to people. Others with that same experience and how did you handle it. People always say don't worry what others think but I feel lonely because I feel like I can't talk to anyone.

Kuma
07-30-2014, 10:30 AM
My solution to this problem has been not to discuss my anxiety with other people, aside from my spouse and one other person. But generally, I just keep it to myself. I am sure that is not the right approach for everyone, but it works for me.

Kixxi
07-30-2014, 10:51 AM
I know I suffer from anxiety and I know I don't handle stress well but it is so discouraging to be told this by others. I feel like I can't talk to anyone when I am suffering because they always make me feel worse by saying things like "You are too sensitive" "You've never handled stress well" "No wonder you are thin" I always feel worse when I try to open up to people. Others with that same experience and how did you handle it. People always say don't worry what others think but I feel lonely because I feel like I can't talk to anyone.

God I know how you feel so well. I had this brilliant support system and it all came apart during the holiday when my aunt decided she'd have a go at me because of my anxiety. Yes, she was frustrated with me because I had a bit of a relapse and I was so afraid to go out. Now I realise I need my support somewhere else. I can talk to my fiancé and his dad to a certain extend, but the most of my support comes from here. I don't want to burden my fiancé as much because he lives with it already. I know that is not a good way to look at it, but sometimes that is how I feel. People here have been brilliant to me though and they are always ready to help you any way they can. So if you need someone to talk to... I'm here for you to.

Exactice
07-30-2014, 02:12 PM
Tobo, welcome to the forums, A place that you can come to to talk to someone that understands! let this be your place of refuge. Yes its tough, yes people are judgmental. Its up to you to take their words to heart or laugh at them.

People will always say negative things to situations they dont understand! I will throw out the obligatory "ignore them" but seriously, you dont need it, nor should it bother you! When you want to vent, come here and we can be a support system for you!

Again many of us understand, we have friends and family that look down upon us, but we realize that its their fear..... Not ours!

RavenM
07-30-2014, 08:49 PM
I find this happens with my family. None of them have anxiety disorders and I'm thrilled they don't. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. However, it's really frustrating being told all the time to just "let it go" and being asked what I'm anxious about. Really? I have GAD. As if the name itself doesn't answer the question. It's really aggravating and to make it worse, none of my friends deal with it. I'm so glad I found this site as it's helped me so much to not feel crazy and alone.