PDA

View Full Version : Heartburn

TCaf
07-28-2014, 12:33 AM
Hi Everyone,

Hope you are all doing well :)
Does anyone else get hearburn from stress and anxiety, I dont get it that often but when I do I get it bad therefore increases the stress.

Thanks for reading
T

grcboy77
07-28-2014, 12:49 AM
Sure do.
My doc diagnosed me with GERD. He said people with anxiety are more likely to have GERD but we don't know why. Could be a relaxation of the LES.
I take Nexium once a day now. No side effects. Makes a huge difference. A Tums every couple months to combat a bad case but that's it. Works like a charm and safe.

TCaf
07-28-2014, 01:56 AM
Thank you for your reply. Excuse my ignorance but what is GERD? Hopefully the doctor can suggest something. I think the reason Im getting so stressed about it is that Im going overseas on Friday and I dont want to have this problem whilst Im away. As you can imagine I have imagined that there is something seriously wrong with my heart.
Oh the endless cycles of anxiety...

grcboy77
07-28-2014, 10:50 AM
I'm sorry. GERD = Gastroesophogeal reflux disease. Fancy name for heartburn. About 15 percent of people have it. It's common also in people with anxiety. Since when you get nervous you're stomach makes more acid. Nothing to worry about. Try Tums or Gaviscon. If that does the work a once a day pill basically eliminates all symptoms.

grcboy77
07-28-2014, 10:51 AM
And yes, anxiety will make GERD worse. Deep breaths. Once anxiety is gone GERD is unnoticeable.

snowberry
07-28-2014, 11:01 AM
I also get heartburn and acid reflux from anxiety. It's a bummer.