PDA

View Full Version : Question about anxiety and the brain

MAM090982
07-26-2014, 08:55 AM
Does anyone know why out of no where, you feel anxious, scared, nervous? All of a sudden I got sad this morning, and then nervous, and scared, for no reason. Why does this happen? What is missing in my brain that makes this happen? Does anyone know the science behind anxiety?

Joe.
07-26-2014, 09:28 AM
All I know is there's a chemical imbalance in the brain which increases anxiety.
Your experience is life, what you experience changes the brain.

MAM090982
07-26-2014, 03:25 PM
How does the imbalance get there? Is it something we can change so it is no longer there? How do we change the way we think so it i positive thoughts to positive outcomes?

Joe.
07-26-2014, 03:38 PM
The imbalance is there because of how we think I believe, this is not a fact though.
There is a possibility it can be genetic, but it's not proven.
You can change it; just shows you the power of thought eh?

Kuma
07-26-2014, 04:29 PM
I am not sure anyone really knows the answer, for sure -- though not for lack of trying. There is a theory that excess cortisol levels are responsible for (some) increased anxiety. Cortisol levels tend to be highest in the morning which is one reason why some people feel the most acute anxiety in the morning. Some say anxiety (and depression) can be caused by inadequate serotonin (excessive absorption of serotonin would be more accurate, but the point is the same). That is why some doctors will prescribe SSRIs for anxiety (as well as for depression), though their effectiveness is controversial. Scientists have looked at the impact of other neurotransmitters too, though there has probably been more focus on serotonin. In some cases, hypothyroidism has been linked to anxiety, though surely that does not cause most cases of anxiety. GABA has also been studied extensively, in relation to anxiety. It has been established that benzodiazepines bind with GABA receptors, producing an anxiolytic effect. There has been some study of a potential link between dopamine levels and anxiety, though I think this remains controversial. Much of the science is uncertain, and anyone who tells you they know precisely what causes anxiety should be viewed with skepticism. Maybe some day we will know more. For now, I think there is a lot of trial and error when it comes to medicating anxiety, including a respectable theory that non-medical treatments are more effective. Best wishes, Kuma

MAM090982
07-26-2014, 04:41 PM
I wonder why our brains choose to think negative, first? I did hear it is genetic, but maybe we can change genetics? The power of thought, is beyond powerful. Thanks Joe.

MAM090982
07-26-2014, 04:43 PM
Wow. You are very educated on the subject, thank you Kuma. I tried the medication way, and it made me worse. Now, I am on the natural path, and everyday it a battle, but I wake up the next morning, and at it again. I wish I could find out exactly what I should eat, to make it lessen, or how to exercise, or what to do when it comes on, but worrying and googling symptoms is not working.

Kuma
07-26-2014, 05:09 PM
Wow. You are very educated on the subject, thank you Kuma. I tried the medication way, and it made me worse. Now, I am on the natural path, and everyday it a battle, but I wake up the next morning, and at it again. I wish I could find out exactly what I should eat, to make it lessen, or how to exercise, or what to do when it comes on, but worrying and googling symptoms is not working.

Yea, I get what you are saying -- many of us, including me, wish there was some "magic solution." That is why many you see so many people willing to take some vitamin pill or eat some strange herbs or powders, or drink some sort of tea or whatever, hoping it will be their instant magic cure. (Some of these things might help -- some may actually be harmful -- but, sadly, none of them is the magic cure). And the internet has made this much worse, because there are all sorts of people willing to sell you the magic potion that you're looking for! For me personally, I don't go for any of this stuff unless it has been prescribed by a reputable medical doctor and/or I have found, based on my own research, that there is a credible scientific basis for the claims that are made.

Personal effort and commitment to get better, therapy, building and maintaining a supportive social network, repairing relationships, and learning to relax are certainly harder than taking a magic pill. But I guess, for me, it is worth the effort.

Best wishes, Kuma