PDA

View Full Version : Can panic attacks change over time?

errauta
07-21-2014, 03:49 PM
First I would like to say that I am new here. Also, sorry for any errors or mistakes in my writing. Yesterday, while slicing vegetables I managed to cut a chunk of my finger off so while that is repairing itself, I have the use of only three fingers and my thumb and trying to type with this big thing on one finger is a pain.

So, back on track. I have panic attacks. I also have social anxiety. These really were not a big deal because they only manifested themselves when I was out in public, in a group of people.

Well, in March we found out my mom had cancer. It was not a form that could be cured but could be treated to get more time and reduce symptoms. Unfortunately, one of the two treatments she was supposed to do was too much for her and rather then suffer she opted for in hospital hospice. We were quoted these various time tables that kept changing. She died April 1st.

Toward the end of April, I started having panic attacks on a regular basis. These panic attacks would just start, out of the blue. I could be driving on the road or just doing anything and they would just start. Sometimes little things would just set them off. I could be driving and notice that my mouth was dry, and from there I would panic because i could not swallow, and from there I would have difficulty breathing.

These would go away after I took hydroxyzine HCL. I have been to the emergency room 3 times in a month. Twice for what I thought was a heart attack and once for what I thought was stones (which they claimed the stabbing pains in my back was constipation). I do not like to take hydroxyzine because it makes me sleepy. They also gave me hydroxy pam which hits me like a mack truck and the grogginess takes forever to wear off. I was seeing a therapist for anxiety and social phobia but that really never went anyway.

A few days ago, i woke up hot, sweating profusely, and agitated. I could not slow my heart down, even with deep breaths. It felt like my heart was struggling to beat, and beating hard. So now, these new attacks, if that is what they are, are a lot different and more intense then the last ones were. So I am curious if a panic attack can change over time and manifest itself differently. It takes forever to get a doctors appointment (I have one August 4th) and the only alternative if it is something biologically wrong, is to go to the emergency room.

My panic attack used to feel like just a pressure in my chest like someone was pushing on it or hold my heart in their hands really tight. Now when I get them, it feels that way, except there is more pressure on the left side of my chest, the side of my neck feels funny, and the side of my head feels funny sometimes also. It is really very terrifying.

petrified
07-21-2014, 04:36 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum :-)

I'm really sorry you have had such a hard time lately losing someone so close is horrible and very hard to deal with.
I've never really been in your position as I was 3 when I lost my mam to cancer so my memories are few and far between. But I understand that feeling of loss.

Have you seen a bereavement counsellor to help?

I often find my panic attacks are always different and lots of things can start them off.
But the symptoms you are describing sound like panic.
I would make a note of all your symptoms now though and any new ones that might arise and take it along to the doctors with you.

There is a great thread on here called anxiety symptoms the list. I find it helpful to read as guaranteed whatever new scary feeling I have is on that list.

Hannah

Dahila
07-21-2014, 07:58 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. \
I had thousand of panic attacks and each of them was different, to the extend that I thought is is low blood sugar. It seems very similar..

meichmann
07-22-2014, 06:23 AM
First of all, I am so sorry for your loss. But if it means anything, she is in a better place and she isn't in pain or fighting it anymore.

As for your panic attacks, they can change over time and usually do. Most of the time it feels like they change overnight. I've experienced many changes in the way my panic attacks have happened and started having anxiety or the panic attacks becuase they were not the usual symptoms.

As petrified said, keep a log of your attacks (symptoms, duration, etc...) and take that to your doctors so they can properly diagnose you. You may want to look into some type of CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) as well.

Hope you feel better!

Bradwithford
07-31-2014, 09:56 PM
First I would like to say that I am new here. Also, sorry for any errors or mistakes in my writing. Yesterday, while slicing vegetables I managed to cut a chunk of my finger off so while that is repairing itself, I have the use of only three fingers and my thumb and trying to type with this big thing on one finger is a pain.

So, back on track. I have panic attacks. I also have social anxiety. These really were not a big deal because they only manifested themselves when I was out in public, in a group of people.

Well, in March we found out my mom had cancer. It was not a form that could be cured but could be treated to get more time and reduce symptoms. Unfortunately, one of the two treatments she was supposed to do was too much for her and rather then suffer she opted for in hospital hospice. We were quoted these various time tables that kept changing. She died April 1st.

Toward the end of April, I started having panic attacks on a regular basis. These panic attacks would just start, out of the blue. I could be driving on the road or just doing anything and they would just start. Sometimes little things would just set them off. I could be driving and notice that my mouth was dry, and from there I would panic because i could not swallow, and from there I would have difficulty breathing.

These would go away after I took hydroxyzine HCL. I have been to the emergency room 3 times in a month. Twice for what I thought was a heart attack and once for what I thought was stones (which they claimed the stabbing pains in my back was constipation). I do not like to take hydroxyzine because it makes me sleepy. They also gave me hydroxy pam which hits me like a mack truck and the grogginess takes forever to wear off. I was seeing a therapist for anxiety and social phobia but that really never went anyway.

A few days ago, i woke up hot, sweating profusely, and agitated. I could not slow my heart down, even with deep breaths. It felt like my heart was struggling to beat, and beating hard. So now, these new attacks, if that is what they are, are a lot different and more intense then the last ones were. So I am curious if a panic attack can change over time and manifest itself differently. It takes forever to get a doctors appointment (I have one August 4th) and the only alternative if it is something biologically wrong, is to go to the emergency room.

My panic attack used to feel like just a pressure in my chest like someone was pushing on it or hold my heart in their hands really tight. Now when I get them, it feels that way, except there is more pressure on the left side of my chest, the side of my neck feels funny, and the side of my head feels funny sometimes also. It is really very terrifying.
I have very similar attacks. Not sure why mine started but they change all the time. My fear now is heart attack. I read stuff online and now I mimic those symptoms. And the panic happens. It's horrible. Just when I thought I was beating it. Today it's controlling me.....

Tifanie Ann Brummitt
08-01-2014, 01:35 AM

I also have this problem. Had anxiety since I was a kid, turned into social anxiety, which has turned into fear of dying. Heart attacks is particularly my obsession. I have heart palps, PVC's. I also have vertigo and episodes of near fainting. Now the past two weeks, I've had numbing and soreness of my left arm, and has spread to my other arm. My neck and back seem irritated. Now my legs feel like they don't work with woooziness. All kind of sensations, mostly in chest and stomach area. Idk if something is wrong with me or if I'm going nuts. I'm depressed. I'm a mess and I thought I was getting better. :(

NixonRulz
08-01-2014, 06:52 PM
I also have this problem. Had anxiety since I was a kid, turned into social anxiety, which has turned into fear of dying. Heart attacks is particularly my obsession. I have heart palps, PVC's. I also have vertigo and episodes of near fainting. Now the past two weeks, I've had numbing and soreness of my left arm, and has spread to my other arm. My neck and back seem irritated. Now my legs feel like they don't work with woooziness. All kind of sensations, mostly in chest and stomach area. Idk if something is wrong with me or if I'm going nuts. I'm depressed. I'm a mess and I thought I was getting better. :(

That is a pretty typical progression.

Your anxiety will always find something else to concern you once you have overcome another concern

People often say, if I could just stop my fear of ____________, I would feel great

Unfortunately, that is rare.

The anxiety itself has to be addressed as well.

Focus on how anxiety works and the lies it convinces you of instead of focusing on how to stop fearing heart problems or feeling more comfortable in social settings

Anxiety will continue to find something to cause you irrational fears until you realize anxiety is just selling false information that your mind is buying

Tifanie Ann Brummitt
08-12-2014, 10:19 PM

Your anxiety will always find something else to concern you once you have overcome another concern

People often say, if I could just stop my fear of ____________, I would feel great

Focus on how anxiety works and the lies it convinces you of instead of focusing on how to stop fearing heart problems or feeling more comfortable in social settings

Anxiety will continue to find something to cause you irrational fears until you realize anxiety is just selling false information that your mind is buying

Very true. But I can honestly say this seems to be the worst and unavoidable. At some point I felt like I was getting use to my heart palps, but now I'm back to feeling scared with each one, and awaiting for the next. They feel like they are in my stomach, or diaphragm area which gives me a horrible feeling in my gut. They make it very hard to rest or sleep. I just don't understand the purpose of them! I am going mad!

Tifanie Ann Brummitt
08-12-2014, 10:57 PM

Very true. But I can honestly say this seems to be the worst and unavoidable. At some point I felt like I was getting use to my heart palps, but now I'm back to feeling scared with each one, and awaiting for the next. They feel like they are in my stomach, or diaphragm area which gives me a horrible feeling in my gut. They make it very hard to rest or sleep. I just don't understand the purpose of them! I am going mad!