PDA

View Full Version : Can't believe it's back. Anyone have this happen?

Srm1135
07-14-2014, 05:16 PM
March 17th, checked into a mental health facility due to nervous breakdown caused by panic attacks. March 20th, got out and started Effexor 150mg and Lamictal 25mg as per psychiatrist. Attended intensive outpatient therapy sessions, psychology sessions and regular psychiatrist check ups.

April 1st through July 10 anxiety was completely controllable, I was like a new man with a new lease on life. No panic attacks. Worked 40hrs a week, went places, and did things. July 11th, massive anxiety attack. Since then I have been having anxiety for the past several days. Why has it reared up again? Will it pass? And is this normal?

Thank you all in advance for your replies

Kuma
07-14-2014, 06:08 PM
Some setbacks are probably inevitable. But the progress that you made is REALLY encouraging and shows that you have the ability to function at a high level and live without anxiety. So if I were you, I would be upbeat about my prospects -- despite the setback -- and proud of what I accomplished through hard work.

Don't get discouraged by the temporary return of anxiety. Indeed, it will probably happen again, at some time(s). This stuff does not tend to suddenly and forever disappear.

But you have shown that you can control and overcome it. So you have reason for great optimism.

Would it be ideal if the progress chart were all upward? Sure. But four steps up, and one back, and then another three up, etc. is not too bad.

Hang in there, my friend, and give yourself credit for what you have accomplished.

Srm1135
07-14-2014, 06:36 PM
Some setbacks are probably inevitable. But the progress that you made is REALLY encouraging and shows that you have the ability to function at a high level and live without anxiety. So if I were you, I would be upbeat about my prospects -- despite the setback -- and proud of what I accomplished through hard work.

Don't get discouraged by the temporary return of anxiety. Indeed, it will probably happen again, at some time(s). This stuff does not tend to suddenly and forever disappear.

But you have shown that you can control and overcome it. So you have reason for great optimism.

Would it be ideal if the progress chart were all upward? Sure. But four steps up, and one back, and then another three up, etc. is not too bad.

Hang in there, my friend, and give yourself credit for what you have accomplished.

Thanks, I really appreciate the encouraging words. It's just crazy, after going through hell for about a year with constant panic, then having a nervous breakdown, and then seemingly getting better to have this all unfold is devastating. Made some doctor appointments, hopefully they can tell me what triggered it.

Srm1135
07-14-2014, 10:03 PM
31 views and one reply. That's odd, have I been gone from the forum that long?

AnxiousPsychGrad
07-15-2014, 02:15 AM
I'm facing the same problem now. Wish I had an answer, but sometimes just knowing you're not alone is help in itself.

Irish Sammie
07-15-2014, 03:42 AM
Hey man,

I'm sorry to hear that you had that happen to you after working so hard on it. Set-backs are part of the recovery process. Each time you have a set back, the time between set backs shorten. I would not be surprised if you have a few more set-backs like this. Often the sensation of feeling "normal" again can in itself make you feel strange as it's been some time since you felt that way. In a sense, it can be a shock to the system that you're thinking clearly since your mind has been used to a different form of sensitivity for some time.

I expect to have set-back and if you go into this knowing that you'll have them, the disappointment factor is considerably less. Of the cases I've read about, some patients would THINK they got to the root cause of their illness and that would provide temporary relieve from their symptoms, putting them into a false sense of security. Only to realize weeks later that they really didn't hit the nail on the head the first time around and had to start from scratch. This could be a possible cause for what you're experiencing, but I'm just throwing that out there.

I believe those of us who have it the worst, usually have a deeply ingrained traumatic event or events that has happened to us in the past. I can look back and pinpoint about three moments in my past that had a considerable effect on my future outcomes and when I have the opportunity I'm going to work those out with an appropriate Physician.

Think of it like this going forward, you now have the "upgraded" tools to now battle round 2! You'll be more prepared and more equipped to deal with it this time around, and if you need to go through round 3? You'll be even more prepared. It could take longer, but I assure you you'll be damned ready for anything that's thrown at you!

Keep going man, strive on ;)

meichmann
07-15-2014, 06:12 AM
I can tell you having setbacks is a common thing. The main point is not to get down about it. You are doing all the right things to help manage it. Having to deal with anxiety since I was 10, I know all about setbacks. Each time an attack passes, it makes you stronger.

Just keep pressing on and do what you're doing to manage it. hope you feel better!

Exactice
07-15-2014, 03:44 PM
My honest answer........ We will never rid ourselves of panic attacks..... Now that being said, is not a bad thing.... let me try to explain.

1) Panic Attacks are our Fight or Flight mechanisms out of whack. This mechanism protects us from danger, again not a bad thing.
2) Anything can trigger our fight or flight, and when we are more excited or anxious it can be triggered easily.
3) Learning proper techniques to deal with a panic attack is key, in addition to rationalizing what is going on.

My whole point to this, having panic attacks or sensations of panic attacks are Normal..... Dont fight it, reason with it. The abnormal thing is why our mechanism is out of whack? So if a panic attack comes on dont say OMG something is wrong automatically. First do your breathing exercises to gain control, then tell yourself, there is no danger....there is no reason why I should be having a panic attack.

It will get easier! Also when an attack comes on out of no where you will be better prepared!

Posted this in another thread yesterday, very similar. Its a speed bump, not a life changer...... Slow down take a deep breath and keep moving forward! You are doing great! Hang in there and you have recovered once already and know the techniques to do so, so it should be shorter and faster than the last time! Slow and smooth, smooth and fast!

Srm1135
07-15-2014, 06:26 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied. You are all amazing people and an inspiration.

Kuma
07-15-2014, 06:59 PM
Actually, Srm, I think you are an inspiration -- a guy who has gone through some really tough stuff, made a huge amount of progress, and still fighting hard... unwilling to be defeated. Keep it up. With great respect, Kuma

Srm1135
07-15-2014, 09:39 PM
Actually, Srm, I think you are an inspiration -- a guy who has gone through some really tough stuff, made a huge amount of progress, and still fighting hard... unwilling to be defeated. Keep it up. With great respect, Kuma

Thank you, means a lot to me to hear that. I'll keep fighting the good fight and I know I can always turn here for support.