PDA

View Full Version : How do panic attacks affect those around you?

KatyFan
07-13-2014, 08:51 PM
I thought I was dying last night. I was coughing so my mind told me I was having an asthma attack and going to die. My room mate was there and we counted and took deep breaths. which after half an hour helped. She happens to be a therapist herself so I guess she knew.
Anyway do people around usually understand your anxiety? Some people I know don't.

kel37blah
07-13-2014, 09:12 PM
I myself have not had any but I have had people close to me experience them. As a person who as seen them happen you feel powerless, at least initially with helping them once they are in that state. I also found that trying to speak logically to the person tends to not work very well (learned that the hard way!).

Love to hear everyone's thoughts!

symtex
07-13-2014, 09:31 PM
I get pretty aggressive toward people trying to talk me down especially when they say nothing is wrong it is
all in your head. because i basically know that, but I keep thinking this time I might really be dying or something is seriously wrong.

KatyFan
07-14-2014, 07:18 PM
Me too! I think I'm dying every time something goes slightly wrong. Coughing, I think I'm dying. Lightning, I think I'm dying. Bump something, same deal. Those around me just say I'm fine I'm fine which scares me more because I think something is really wrong and they won't help...

meichmann
07-15-2014, 06:17 AM
Most people will either ignore you or get angry at you if they don't know about anxiety or never experienced it first hand. Int he beginning, my wife would tell me to "get over it" and stop complaining. Then I told her about how I feel during an attack and the amount of pain i go through. After she did her own research, she realized I wasn't making it up and she has become more sympathetic. She will never fully understand why I get anxious and panic attacks (I won't fully understand them either but who does), but she now know what happens to me and she helps me now.

It's all about telling people about them. They need to know what you go through so they can at least understand how you feel.