PDA

View Full Version : Can anxiety cause vision problems

sean17
07-13-2014, 10:16 AM
Can anxiety cause vision problems every time i look at walls or faces its fuzzy/blurry i have got floaters to ive had this for a few mounts now and i have got a soap felling in my eyes, i suffer with this 24/7

ive had my eyes tested a couple of weeks ago

i'm worried :( am i going blind?

Fourteen14
07-13-2014, 03:55 PM
Can anxiety cause vision problems every time i look at walls or faces its fuzzy/blurry i have got floaters to ive had this for a few mounts now and i have got a soap felling in my eyes, i suffer with this 24/7

ive had my eyes tested a couple of weeks ago

i'm worried :( am i going blind?

Have you got sinus pressure?

Tightness/pressure headache on the bridge of nose, eyes and forehead?

Several people I know (including me, have similar systems with a touch of dizziness also) due to the high pollen count this year in the UK.

A good over the counter medication is beconase nasal spray (takes around a week to settle everything down) but should relieve the problem.

MAM090982
07-13-2014, 03:59 PM
I am experiencing the same thing right now. Hoping to go to the eye doctors tomorrow to make sure I am not going blind. So scary...I am sure it is anxiety, or at least I hope. What did your eye doctor say?

JLK
07-13-2014, 04:31 PM
I have some eye issues also. Floaters, spots, graininess, sometimes a pulsing. Had my eyes checked, perfectly fine. Talked to my doc and she asked me if it was part of my anxiety... um, I don't know? Haha. Shouldn't she tell me?

I try to ignore it for the most part. Us anxious people are just super aware of everything going on in our bodies.

Fourteen14
07-13-2014, 04:47 PM
I have some eye issues also. Floaters, spots, graininess, sometimes a pulsing. Had my eyes checked, perfectly fine. Talked to my doc and she asked me if it was part of my anxiety... um, I don't know? Haha. Shouldn't she tell me?

I try to ignore it for the most part. Us anxious people are just super aware of everything going on in our bodies.

Both you and your doctor are right :)

Little eye floaters (unless accompanied by flashes of light) are perfectly normal tiny bits of protein that break away and float around in the eye) most people experience this more through irritation (seasonal allergies) or tiredness, when the tear ducts can get a little gunky.

It has nothing at all to do with anxiety from a physiological point of view, but those with anxiety are super sensitive to noticing them.

In a nutshell, the average Joe ignores them as annoying eye floaters, those with anxiety diagnose detached retina or stroke. :)

MAM090982
07-13-2014, 04:55 PM
You would think the doctor would know. JLK, when you say Floaters, what do you see floating in your vision? How often do you have these issues with your eyes? It is very hard to ignore, especially with people with anxiety, and I have health anxiety, so I am always worrying, causing more stress and symptoms. Great point, we are super aware of everything, big or little, going on in and on our brains and bodies.

MAM090982
07-13-2014, 04:56 PM
Fourteen14, I just googled by eye floaters, came up with detached retina, and read that I could go blind in 48-72 hours, and freaked out. Why do I do this to myself? How can I make myself stop googling?

Fourteen14
07-13-2014, 05:04 PM
Fourteen14, I just googled by eye floaters, came up with detached retina, and read that I could go blind in 48-72 hours, and freaked out. Why do I do this to myself? How can I make myself stop googling?

A detached retina should show far more than eye floaters on google (this is the problem). Floaters are normal in everyone (some more than others) I'm not an optician, but from memory detached retina is normally the sensation of someone turning a flashlight on and off in your eye, or someone drawing a curtain halfway across your vision, and pain.

So if it's just a few little floaters I wouldn't worry. (See an optician if you are really worried).

A good way to rationalise it, is to think of all the illnesses you think you have previously had, and how many of them actually happened.

The only way to stop googling is to remove your wi fi :)

I've yet to meet anyone who can resist it in times of panic. :)

MAM090982
07-13-2014, 05:25 PM
It shows a few more symptoms, but they are similar, especially to someone with health anxiety. I never knew floaters were normal. I never noticed them until recently, and that causes more concern. Ooh, so glad I don't have those symptoms. Thank the lord, and I hope I never do. I am going to see one. My yearly visit is due, and I hope to be put at ease. Removing my wi-fi, if only I didn't have school. In times of panic is the worst time, because it causes even more panic. I wish my health anxiety would disappear, so I can start living my life, instead of thinking I am dying of every illness out there.

sean17
07-14-2014, 02:35 AM
Hi thanks for the reply i dont think i get sinus pressure i do get headaches
and i have got hay fever thanks for the advice will give beconase a try and ill let you know how i get on

sean17
07-14-2014, 02:36 AM
Hi Mamo i didnt have this when i went to the eye doctors

sean17
07-14-2014, 02:43 AM
how much is the beconase nasal spray and where can i get it and is there any side effects

Fourteen14
07-14-2014, 02:17 PM
how much is the beconase nasal spray and where can i get it and is there any side effects

Hi Sean

You can get it over the counter without prescription at any good chemist.

Ask for beconase aqueous nasal spray, it comes in two sizes, the best value is the larger (180 sprays) as you need to use it twice a day for a couple of weeks or more. It's around £9.99.

Provided you are not allergic to any ingredients there should be no side effects.

It's a steroid spray to reduce inflamation.

You can speak to the dispenser at the pharmacy before you buy it if you have any concerns.

Kind redards