PDA

View Full Version : Can your interests make you more depressed?

crappygal
06-02-2008, 07:50 PM
Hello all, i was just wondering, can my choice of music and movie make me feel more depressed?

I love symphonic, doom metal music, esp bands such as draconian, my dying bride. Their song talks about death most of the time.

Also, watching gory movies makes me happy...such as wrong turn, saw, dead alive, hostel etc. I never liked romance.

Whenever im stressed or depressed, i would usually listen to the bands listed above for relief. I dont really have anyone to talk to.

I want to change the state im at now, and i would like to know whether my interest has played a part in making me feel more depressed.

Robbed
06-03-2008, 04:52 AM
The funny thing about me is that I am a pretty big guy, often go hiking alone in the mountains (sometimes at night), and like to drive fast. But I just can't, I repeat CAN'T watch a movie like Hostel. Doing so would DEFINITELY make me feel REALLY bad. Likewise, death metal is just not my thing, and actually can make me feel MORE anxious. You would probably literally think I am some sort of weak, wussy guy if you knew some of the music I like to listen to (even though my tastes DON'T go as far as, say, Yanni). But with this said, I know that I cannot judge your reaction to your chosen movies and music based on my reaction to them. And this makes things a little difficult. What you MIGHT try doing is taking a little time off from watching gory movies and listening to the hardest music that the human imagination can conjure up. Maybe a week or so. I'm not suggesting that you watch romances or listen to elevator music (this would drive ME crazy as well). Rather, go for the middle ground. Perhaps something more mainstream like an action-adventure or sci-fi movie, and maybe some more mainstream rock/pop/hip-hop. See if you feel any better after doing this. If you DO, then maybe your music/movie tastes ARE a problem. Or maybe they are just a result of your emotional state.