PDA

View Full Version : Need peace of mind so scared!

Madirain
07-11-2014, 10:17 AM
I've been struggling with anxiety for quite some time and felt like I was on the road to recovery until recently....I had been experiencing some indigestion and a lot of gas and went to my Dr. I have had complete blood work tests many times over the last couple years as well as heart tests, thyroid, X-rays, etc. The Dr sent me for an abdominal ultrasound and a couple spots were detected on my liver! The radiologist is suspecting hemangiomas and I need to do a follow up Ultrasound in 6 months. I since had more blood work and liver function done and results are All normal other than I'm a tiny bit low in iron. My indigestion issues have completely gone away in fact it was pretty much gone before I went for US. Because of my Anxiety I am now stuck in the "what if" window fearing this is more than hemangiomas and actually cancer! I'm trying to stay as positive as I can but everyday I wake up fearing 6 months down the road my follow up US will show bad news :(. Hoping someone out there can help give me peace of mind or coping strategies....

Prayer for Anxiety
07-11-2014, 10:38 AM
How old are you Madirain? Do you have any other important medical history or illness that runs in the family?

Dahila
07-11-2014, 10:43 AM
A liver hemangioma is a tangle of blood vessels in or on the surface of the liver. Liver hemangiomas usually are not bothersome and do not cause symptoms.

Because signs of a liver hemangioma may go undetected, they are usually only discovered if you are being tested for an unrelated condition. The Mayo Clinic states that most liver hemangiomas do not require treatment (Mayo Clinic).

Liver hemangiomas are noncancerous and will not cause cancer to develop. These growths are usually about 4 cm in size. In some cases, they can grow much larger. Pregnant women or those using estrogen replacement, for example, run a higher risk of the hemangioma growing larger. This is because estrogen is believed to fuel the growth of liver hemangiomas. These larger hemangiomas can cause symptoms.

Typically, you will only have one liver hemangioma. However, there are cases in which several have been found on one liver at once,
Welcome to the forum. yOu will be ok, I promise:) It happens and is not dangerous. Of course do the follow up, and stop worrying, it does nothing for you. Welcome to the forum, you will find a lot of threads and posts that will help you to see it in different light.
Please, check up the stickies on General discussion and have a bit of fun :)

Madirain
07-11-2014, 10:59 AM
How old are you Madirain? Do you have any other important medical history or illness that runs in the family?

Thanks for your replies, I am 39 and have a 1 year old daughter, no significant medical history on myself or with my family.

Prayer for Anxiety
07-14-2014, 02:55 PM
Madirain - Dahila is right, liver hemangiomas are usually harmless. You still might be anxious though, but the chances of you having a cancer are pretty much zero. Go ahead and get the 6 month check up, but...

Don't worry!