PDA

View Full Version : meds

scott L
07-09-2014, 02:43 PM
I am posting this question again here . Long story short I have had anxiety most of my life it has made me very unhappy most of the time the depression that accompanies it is what is hardest to deal with I have taken meds ssris on and off and always end up needing them again. I am off them right know and am pretty down with some pretty anxious moments. I quit them because of the stigmas people associate with them that you are unstable or crazy and fear loseing some of my rights does anyone else worry about that? If you are a person in authority like a policeman and take meds I would really like your opinion on it anyone elses would be most welcome to. Do you think some people need ssris for the rest of there lives? I have taken them always in hopes of getting off them and getting better but it does not seem to be working out that way.

needtogetwell
07-09-2014, 03:25 PM
Hi Scott,

Welcome!

The meds issue is a really personal one. Some people need them for a short time, some people need them long term.

I think you are worrying about the stigma of meds too much. Today there is such a huge portion of the population on them, that there really shouldn't be any negative connotations towards anyone who takes them. The stigma is antiquated and not worth the bother.

The bottom line is this, if they help you, who cares what anyone thinks of it. The only person it affects is you, it's no one else's business.

Please stop worrying about it, it is a waste of good energy!

Prayer for Anxiety
07-10-2014, 02:57 PM
Scott,

The issue of SSRIs is complex. There is growing evidence that they don't do much for treating depression/anxiety when compared to placebo. They help because we believe them to help. However, some swear by them and have benefited a lot from these drugs.

However, there is also a real issue of SSRI addiction.

As far as the stigma goes, this is an unfortunate part of our society. Nobody can refuse you a job or discriminate against you for taking SSRIs. If this has happened to you I suggest you get legal advice.

You need to find a doctor that will work closely with you on this. Many people have ended up on SSRIs for years since they were misdiagnosed. Their doctors thought they were having a depression/anxiety relapse when it was really just SSRI withdrawal. It can be very hard to tell the difference between the two.

Many blessings,
Vince

Fourteen14
07-10-2014, 04:04 PM
Hi Prayer.

SSRI Addiction?

Any chance you can post a link to such information, this is news to me.

Fourteen14
07-10-2014, 04:10 PM
Scott

I agree with Pam, it's personal choice. They are not a cure, but certainly can help to get you to a place where you can function, and work on the psychological aspects.

There are over 8 million prescriptions a year written for antidepressant/anxiety in the UK alone (I believe L.A. actually has trace amounts of Xanax in the water supply).

This accounts for a great number of police, teachers, nurses, doctors, and...psychiatrists :)

Prayer for Anxiety
07-10-2014, 05:31 PM
Fourteen14... check out wikipedia under "SSRI discontinuation syndrome".
Big pharma is doing its best to block any talk about addiction...

Fourteen14
07-10-2014, 05:35 PM
Fourteen14... check out wikipedia under "SSRI discontinuation syndrome".
Big pharma is doing its best to block any talk about addiction...

I don't use Wikipedia (too unreliable)

Discontinuation syndrome is effectively abrupt withdrawal (most psychoactive drugs carry the same problem) provided withdrawal is done slowly and sensibly it doesn't pose too many issues for the vast majority of patients.

As far as addiction goes, (as far as I am aware) there is nothing to support such a suggestion.

needtogetwell
07-10-2014, 06:04 PM
Discontinuation syndrome is very real, however I don't believe it is because of a physical addiction. I experienced it when I came off Effexor and did taper off it correctly and slowly.

This is more like the brain adjusting to not having the meds, much the same as when starting it up.

Dahila
07-10-2014, 06:05 PM
On university wikipedia is forbidden, you can not rely on something anyone can edit.

Prayer what a "sound advice" you are giving

As far as the stigma goes, this is an unfortunate part of our society. Nobody can refuse you a job or discriminate against you for taking SSRIs. If this has happened to you I suggest you get legal advice

would you explain how you prove that Ssri are the reason they had not hire you? What world are you living on man? You obviously have no idea how that work:(
You need to ween of the SRRi slowly lowering the dose it takes 3-4 weeks and there are no side effects. I had done it a few times.
Benzos is no evil also, it is medication that can literaly save people. If it was not for benzos I would probably crash my car and get killed.

I am not someone who recommends meds, not medication is not the first choice; meditation, therapy is ....

JohnC
07-10-2014, 07:47 PM
You can stop almost all of the ssri I have done it. I was on paxil the longest and when i decided i wanted to get off i tapered myself down and them quit. The "withdraw" off the ones i was on was not like the withdraw you thing of like Heroin, cigarettes, cocaine etc, etc,. I did get what i call little head zaps but no pain and no nausea and no angry mood. This is just based on my own experiences.

MISSED YOU 14 GLAD YOUR BACK

Dahila
07-10-2014, 07:53 PM
For me the worst was quitting smoking. Meds are nothing to compare to it

raggamuffin
07-11-2014, 01:15 AM
Medication is a band aid. it doesn't address or ever resolve root causes of anxiety. The causes are emotional stressors, inability to process and handle stress in a healthy way. Also people with anxiety tend to hold onto negative emotions like fear, worry, anger and guilt more than other people. Anxious people tend to be very emotive and passionate. Medication shouldn't be a life long commitment. Therapy is most beneficial as it addresses the issues in the mind whereas medication simply relies on the possibility of reducing anxiety. CBT is all about challenging yourself to overcome the anxiety and will take a lot of hard work and dedication. Most therapists recommend one form of therapy or another. Ergo, tackling therapy without medication. but some other therapists recommend medication along with therapy. Either way, unless medication is treating something very severe like suicidal tendencies or schitzophernia, it's not going to be a lifetime necessity in overcoming anxiety. There's no overnight cure for anxiety and it will take a lot of hard work, time and willpower to overcome. But what would people rather do? Undertake severe life changes and daily mental training and meditation? Or pop a pill once a day? However, everyone's opinions on medication are different. All but 2 Dr's i've met over the 4+ years of constant anxiety pains have recommended medication. The 2 Dr's who didn't said they were poisons and had been Dr's for over 40 years.

Ed