PDA

View Full Version : Heat anxiety

Scdg17
07-07-2014, 07:58 PM
Well I haven't been here in a while which is a huge blessing. But recently I've been struggling with a new issue I've never experienced before:
Anxiety induced by heat and potentially hot environments.

I don't understand where this is coming from. As soon as my body temp starts to rise just a little, my anxiety kicks into overdrive with all the usual symptoms of a panic attack.
And even if I know I'm going into a warmer place (like the car, in my house before the AC is on, having to walk to the store during the day) I get really anxious and have to calm myself down.

I just bought a misting fan that I bring everywhere now (another item added to my anxiety kit.) lol. But it provides very little relief.

Has anyone experienced this kind of heat induced anxiety or might have any tips?
Please and thank you :)

Scdg17
07-09-2014, 11:33 AM
Are people to involved in drama on here to respond or is there just simply no one who can relate to this problem? O_o

What happened to this forum???

AnxiousPsychGrad
07-09-2014, 01:08 PM
Anytime I start to feel hot, my anxiety kicks into overdrive.

I wish I knew a resolution to the problem to help, but I can definitely tell you that you are not alone.

Exactice
07-09-2014, 03:29 PM
HHHHHHOOOOOOOO, Huge Trigger for me before. This was a terrible trigger from when I suffered from my PTSD days....

My body doesnt know it is in Hawaii or in Iraq, so when it gets hot it goes into flight or fight mode.....automatic Panic Attack, Huge pain in the butt.

Also the sensations are similar to a panic attack, you get the hot flashes, you start to sweat, so the body might get confused as is it hot or are we having a panic attack. People similar have exercise issue when they get hot.

So this is all common, the "eventual" work around is to deprogram your body. This takes a little time, you need to work at it, but you need to talk to your body and your mind. You need to tell your body there is a difference when you are "Just getting hot" vs a panic attack, so when it starts to come on you need to talk to it, talk to it like a child and remind your body that everything is fine, all is normal, there is no danger, you dont need to go into fight or flight mode.

Slowly and surely you will relieve yourself of it. Again it takes some time so practice this technique!

Scdg17
07-09-2014, 04:36 PM
THANK YOU. Good information. I can sympathize with these hot flashes in conjunction with PTSD also.
I will try to start turning it around in my mind when it starts happening and remind myself I may just be getting hot and not going into a full blown panic attack.

JohnC
07-09-2014, 04:45 PM
Heat does set off a trigger for me mostly because i almost died when young from an infection i got while on a hiking trip. First thing i think of is fever!!!

Dahila
07-09-2014, 05:15 PM
I had and have that, it is the crazy hormones which are confused , panic attack is first hot flash, and was when I was 16 year old too. Maybe you are like me ; I am hot blooded and I walk in t-shirt and shorts, no socks in house where is 18 Celsius
My hubby sometimes put the hot on him hehehehe
Maybe you need lower temps, or like John said you have some kind of connection temps--> unpleasant or maybe scaring situation

JohnC
07-09-2014, 05:20 PM
Dahlia. i do love the cold though, always have. I think that is why i always long to move to the north ever since i was young. I keep aircondition so low that my wife sleeps with two winter blankets an i am almost nude. Sorry so graphic heheheh

Exactice
07-09-2014, 05:40 PM
JohnC Feel my pain..... Hawaii, we never get past 60* F.......and humidity suuuucckkksss 80* feels like 95*, 90* feels like 100* stinky sweaty hot LOL!

My wife is the same I have 3 fans going and sleeping half naked while she is bundled up.... more worse she wants to lay close to me and make me more hot, I end up kicking her to her side of the bed LOL!!!!

Dahila
07-09-2014, 07:07 PM
Same here, I had to move to another room because he could not take that cold:))I sleep on top too. I think we have a lot of fire in us...:)
exactice so does my hubby and he is like an oven, different room does solve the problem, but not everyone has this luxury. I am the happiest at winter time:))

nf1234
07-10-2014, 01:52 AM
It could have something to do with dehydration and the adrenal system. Most people with anxiety have disrupted adrenal system. Heat intolerance is a common sign of adrenal fatigue and sometimes thyroid issues. Try drinking more water. At least half of your body weight in ounces per day. Look into "the water cure". We actually need good salt, "sea salt", to properly retain fluids. Many people have been helped by mixing tiny amounts of sea salt with their water. Worked for me.

Have you ever had your thyroid checked?

Dahila
07-10-2014, 08:36 AM
good point nf but in my situation I checked everything. I drink water like crazy only water. Sea salt is not good anymore, cause it has a lot of chemicals in it. Our seas and ocean are garbage bins now. eh

Scdg17
07-10-2014, 11:57 AM
My adrenal glands and thyroid are in good shape. And I'm a pretty healthy physically (mentally is another issue.)

I think personally it's psychosomatic. When I used to have crippling panic attacks, my body temp would sky rocket. So now my body starts to interpret heat as "uh oh. Something's wrong."

It's affecting my life the same way anxiety did. Like I have to avoid certain situations and over prepare for leaving the house in case I get too hot.

JLK
07-10-2014, 01:02 PM
This is me too. I'm feeling it right now as it's a bit warm outside and I was just in the sun. I used to work outside all summer long, now as soon as I start to get hot, it's anxiety time. I think it's exactly as the others have said, when I panic, I tend to get very hot, so as soon as the body feels that, it freaks out, then on comes dizziness, racing thoughts… on and on. I've had my thyroid checked a few times, always fine, and I've discussed this with my therapist, she agrees. I'm not sure what to do about it, except positive dialoguing like you would for any anxiety… Sorry that's not more help.

Exactice
07-10-2014, 01:40 PM
Scdg17 & JLK, personally, it is a mental thing. An easy way to see it, is Heat is like a PTSD trigger. A single event that causes panic/anxiety. Heat....when it gets hot your body doesnt know where it is or the difference all it knows is that is uncomfortable and needs to protect itself.

Again my suggestion and what has worked for me its to talk to yourself, You dont have to do it out loud. But you need to deprogram the body thinking that its in danger. So when you are in a scenario you need to take deep breaths and tell yourself, ALL IS FINE, NOTHING IS WRONG. Constantly, this is like hypnosis, you are trying to convince your subconscious that heat is not a trigger any more!

It will take time but it should work, basically the opposite of what you unconsciously hypnotized yourself into thinking that heat is the cause of panic =)

You can do it!!!!

Scdg17
07-10-2014, 04:36 PM
Thank you!! :) I'm definitely guna try to do that more. Tomorrow will be a great challenge. I'm driving for an hour and a half tmrw...with no AC.