PDA

View Full Version : Help for rabies phobia?

readerrw07
07-03-2014, 05:05 AM
I have had problems with a phobia of rabies. It appears from various triggers, but the most recent is both annoying and rather out-there. I let me dog (vaccinated) outside in the morning when the sun was rising (I dont like letting them out at night). After a few minutes, I heard my larger dog (part rottweiler) barking and quickly called him back in and saw him standing at the corner of the fence barking at something. He quickly did his business and came inside after I called him back though. I looked him over and didnt see any signs of him running into any animals, but I still have a nagging fear that he couldve gotten saliva or something from another animal on him (even though I didnt see any other animal). What advice do you guys have for coping with this phobia flare-up and the phobia as a whole?

Im-Suffering
07-03-2014, 05:28 AM
I have had problems with a phobia of rabies. It appears from various triggers, but the most recent is both annoying and rather out-there. I let me dog (vaccinated) outside in the morning when the sun was rising (I dont like letting them out at night). After a few minutes, I heard my larger dog (part rottweiler) barking and quickly called him back in and saw him standing at the corner of the fence barking at something. He quickly did his business and came inside after I called him back though. I looked him over and didnt see any signs of him running into any animals, but I still have a nagging fear that he couldve gotten saliva or something from another animal on him (even though I didnt see any other animal). What advice do you guys have for coping with this phobia flare-up and the phobia as a whole?

The triggers (rabies) come from stored emotional trauma, within one of the 6 major fears, of which here are 4:

This (rabies)is a minor phobia, that falls within the 6 major phobias (fears). Not to invalidate it now, but to say that all phobias fall under a major one. In this case it is the fear of death. (Major 1), or Ill health (major 2). Loss of a loved one, your dog (major 3), and possibly the fear of Criticism (major 4), for how could you let this happen? For example.

Knowing what fears are associated with your phobia in itself will activate your natural instincts and coping methods, for you know what to do if/when you encounter this issue. And it will help lead you to find the emotional trauma behind it.

If I am thirsty I shall walk to the sink and drink, for the sink is where the water is, ane I know to get a cup and fill it, period.

By analogy :

Should I think my dog is bitten, I shall examine him thoroughly for bite marks, for I know its highly improbable that he should contract it from saliva alone, next time I shall accompany him.

Do you understand?

End of post.