PDA

View Full Version : Experience in cutting out alcohol?

ss_worrier
07-01-2014, 09:10 PM
Hi everyone,

I haven't been here for a while but I have to say it's amazingly relieving every time I log on.

I have a question about your potential experiences that you may have had with cutting out alcohol. I drink relatively rarely for someone my age and I almost never drink during the week. I almost never drink on professionally related occasions and events where alcohol is served. I never go binge drinking for two weekend nights in a row; I know myself well enough to know it has a terrible impact on me. So I definitely don't have anything you would normally call "problems" with alcohol.

But I have come to realize that alcohol, more than any other thing that I can directly control myself, has a terrible impact on my anxiety. Problems and thoughts I have get a hundred times worse, both when I'm actually drinking and the whole day after (sometimes two days even). I've come to a point where I just don't see that the fun of drinking is worth the suffering it entails for me. I am therefore very seriously considering to completely cut out alcohol from my life.

I am wondering if anyone has done this for anxiety-related reasons, and if you would be willing to tell me about your experience in doing this (i.e. how/if it significantly impacted your anxiety problems, how you handled social situations that involve a lot of alcohol, etc...). My main concerns are 1) how to stick to it consistently, and 2) how to handle the social impacts it might have. Like how do you explain it to people? I get very annoyed being the only sober person around drunk people, this may sound like a very sad question but how do you have fun being the only sober person at a party? etc...

I'd really appreciate some input. I have thought of this for a while but finally came to a decisive realization last night after I saw myself just emotionally completely changed after I had had 4 very large beers with a bunch of friends, and later talked to my girlfriend and just felt completely emotionally turned around because of the alcohol-induced anxiety. Many thanks to anyone who either just read this or can give me some advice.

Kixxi
07-02-2014, 12:44 AM
Hi ss_worrier,

I really know what you are talking about. Alcohol also has a very bad effect on me, because I feel less in control. I think that is the element that plays on my anxiety. I can actually say I will avoid drinking and make any excuse not to drink. I also believe if that need for control is less, maybe the effects of a drink will be to.

ss_worrier
07-04-2014, 09:55 PM
So, against all my better judgment I ended up drinking with a group of friends last night and I am already paying the price... I will definitely need to clear my schedule and go work out tonight or something, that is the only thing that prevents me from plunging deep into hangover anxiety. It's weird, I literally feel like the anxiety is some irritating body part of me that is urging me to do things like start a fight with my girlfriend for no real apparent reason, go hide in my room and not come out at all till it's better, etc... I think it's difficult for me to accept that my anxiety means there are certain things I can't do, like drink alcohol, but that's just the way it is.

lexiii
07-05-2014, 07:43 AM
So, against all my better judgment I ended up drinking with a group of friends last night and I am already paying the price... I will definitely need to clear my schedule and go work out tonight or something, that is the only thing that prevents me from plunging deep into hangover anxiety. It's weird, I literally feel like the anxiety is some irritating body part of me that is urging me to do things like start a fight with my girlfriend for no real apparent reason, go hide in my room and not come out at all till it's better, etc... I think it's difficult for me to accept that my anxiety means there are certain things I can't do, like drink alcohol, but that's just the way it is.

I feel the same way the day after I drink I feel very anxious and as if I'm going to have an attack.. Sometimes my whole week is blown. Do u get attacks the next day ? Describe ur anxiety the day after drinking ? Although this is awful for us it's nice to know we aren't alone xo

ss_worrier
07-07-2014, 12:06 AM
I feel the same way the day after I drink I feel very anxious and as if I'm going to have an attack.. Sometimes my whole week is blown. Do u get attacks the next day ? Describe ur anxiety the day after drinking ? Although this is awful for us it's nice to know we aren't alone xo

I agree, knowing you're not alone really helps. :-) I don't usually get what I would describe as attacks, that does happen but thankfully it's relatively rare for me, maybe three times a month or so depending on the circumstances. For me, alcohol just makes all my anxious thoughts that I already have so much stronger. It's like...When I'm sober and I'm having a good day, I can kick them away and treat them as an annoying bug stuck on my shoulder, but the day after drinking they just won't go away and they feel incredibly real. I become very irritable and everything that I might otherwise be able to live with and think away feels unbearable. Same thoughts but they get to me in a much worse way with everything that follows, such as racing heartbeat etc... How about yourself?

nf1234
07-10-2014, 02:00 AM
I cut alcohol out years about mainly due to stomach issues. But now that I have anxiety and ive tried drinking here and there it does not go well. So ive cut it out for good. I still go out all the time. To bars and parties and have just as much fun. It takes time I will admit. As far as what to tell people, I hate to say it but it would be easier just to lie. Say your stomach can't handle it. Blame it on stomach issues. As far as having fun just sip on something thats not alcohol. It feels more normal to have something in your hand to sip on. You will weed out the things that you actually enjoy and don't enjoy. Everything is fun drunk. Hope that helps.

Exactice
07-10-2014, 01:30 PM
Hey Warrior, I am somewhat the exact opposite.

I was a social drinker, every Tuesday, a group of friends and I would go out drinking. I would usually drink about a pitcher to 2 pitchers that night by myself. Thats quite a bit. Then depending I would go out in a professional setting with co-workers and drink even more. Couple beers, a bottle of wine and maybe scotch to top it off.

Now when I started on medication and I had a real bad Acid Reflux diagnosis, the doc said to try and cut out drinking. Now there is 2 things probably cause and increase of anxiety for me.

First The withdraws from drinking, I am assuming as cutting drinking cold turkey probably put a lot of stress, I remember hearing about my dad having to quit smoking and drinking after 40 years..... he was a train wreck.

Secondly, My heavy drinking would take me home drunk and I would pass out, Didnt worry about a thing, being sober does make you more aware of your surroundings and your body. So My anxiety being at full blast and not drunk really didnt mix well.

Fast forward as of current, I am working on a balance of drinking. So I still drink but I do it in moderation and in somewhat control. Now I wont lie there are times when I do go a little gang busters and drink heavy but that is far and few. I do pay the price though. The tough part is know that its not helping the meds that I am taking, its basically counter acting each other so its useless.

Now my work arounds, First we have the "Designated Driver" excuse. I usually find a reason to drive someone or tell them that I need to pick my wife up, so I need to be a DD. Thats for certain occasions to be the actual sober one. The second trick I use is, I nurse a single beer all night. Believe it or not, by the time your friends/co-workers get hammered they wont know what drink you are on nor will they care, Just sip that beer all night, they wont buy you another one as you can tell them you are on beer 3 and waiting to finish up so you are good etc.

This is the most important tip I can ever give to anyone. Especially young drinkers. If you cannot drink with people that you could not trust telling them that you have issues with drinking and that you would rather not drink at all, THOSE ARE NOT FRIENDS TO DRINK WITH PERIOD! Friends will not judge you nor will they pressure you to drink if you dont want to. Drinking is a luxury not a must so surround yourself with those that accept.

My co-workers are the worst drinkers, in that they drink like fish, but we have enough respect/friendship/trust that if one of us just doesnt feel like it, we dont pressure nor call them the obligatory names.

Drink smart, and have fun!

Prayer for Anxiety
07-10-2014, 01:50 PM
I struggled with alcohol problems for many years. My advice to you is QUIT.

I also used to smoke. I cut way back but even just one smoke a day held power over me. Alcoholism is complex and you don't have to be a drunk to have a problem.
Even when I cut back my drinking 500% it still was a problem.

Addictions are incredibly seductive. Like weeds, they will do anything to survive. So yank the thing out by the root.

Be patient and merciful to yourself, but be ruthless with the problem. Do not negotiate. You do not need a single drop of booze to be a happy & healthy person.

Many blessings,
Vince

ss_worrier
07-10-2014, 10:24 PM
I cut alcohol out years about mainly due to stomach issues. But now that I have anxiety and ive tried drinking here and there it does not go well. So ive cut it out for good. I still go out all the time. To bars and parties and have just as much fun. It takes time I will admit. As far as what to tell people, I hate to say it but it would be easier just to lie. Say your stomach can't handle it. Blame it on stomach issues. As far as having fun just sip on something thats not alcohol. It feels more normal to have something in your hand to sip on. You will weed out the things that you actually enjoy and don't enjoy. Everything is fun drunk. Hope that helps.

That's actually really great advice. Thanks a lot. I don't have a problem with lying about these things really. Also I do have a lot of stomach issues which most of my closer friends are aware of so it really wouldn't be a problem -- I'll just steal your "lie" right off :-) With some of my friends I've even been able to be perfectly open with my anxiety. I think the harder part is when it's actually happening, not when you just "have" the problem in general. And I guess me refusing a drink because of anxiety would be one of those occasions, so maybe just the lie right off would be the easiest thing to stick to.

Here we go -- it's weekend soon and though my inclination right now is to just close off and go hermit for a few days I think I'll end up meeting people anyway because being alone also tends to make things worse for me. I will however refuse to drink. Will check back on Monday and hoped the stomach excuse felt ok! =) Thanks!

ss_worrier
07-10-2014, 10:27 PM
Hey Warrior, I am somewhat the exact opposite.

This is the most important tip I can ever give to anyone. Especially young drinkers. If you cannot drink with people that you could not trust telling them that you have issues with drinking and that you would rather not drink at all, THOSE ARE NOT FRIENDS TO DRINK WITH PERIOD! Friends will not judge you nor will they pressure you to drink if you dont want to. Drinking is a luxury not a must so surround yourself with those that accept.

My co-workers are the worst drinkers, in that they drink like fish, but we have enough respect/friendship/trust that if one of us just doesnt feel like it, we dont pressure nor call them the obligatory names.

Drink smart, and have fun!

Thanks a lot for sharing this, it really helped. Just getting so much good advice and also writing about it myself has made me realize that if alcohol is such a problem for me and makes everything worse, then what's the point? It's not like as if it's a vitamin your body needs or anything. Sometimes I think people who drink get uncomfortable when there's a sober person around, but the one beer all night thing would really take care of that. Even that makes me feel bad sometimes so I think I'll just go cold turkey and see how that works. Thanks again for sharing this!

raggamuffin
07-11-2014, 01:11 AM
Having great difficulty cutting out alcohol. Over the past few months it's turned into a dependency. Alcohol is the only thing that stops the 24/7 pains I experience from anxiety. But i'm trying hard to quit for good as i know it's not going to be of any benefit to me in the long run.

Hangovers heighten anxiety, so it stands to reason that anyone with anxiety will feel terrible during a hangover. My hangovers are utterly hideous usually - dizziness, severe aches (moreso than usual), nausea, stomach aches, headaches and severely heightened anxiety.

Ed

AnxiousPsychGrad
07-11-2014, 05:23 AM
Having great difficulty cutting out alcohol. Over the past few months it's turned into a dependency. Alcohol is the only thing that stops the 24/7 pains I experience from anxiety. But i'm trying hard to quit for good as i know it's not going to be of any benefit to me in the long run. Hangovers heighten anxiety, so it stands to reason that anyone with anxiety will feel terrible during a hangover. My hangovers are utterly hideous usually - dizziness, severe aches (moreso than usual), nausea, stomach aches, headaches and severely heightened anxiety. Ed

I feel like I wrote this myself. Right on. My alcohol dependency has grown and so has the intensity of my hangovers.
Good luck finding your way through this. I will be walking the same path.

raggamuffin
07-11-2014, 01:25 PM
How often are you drinking? I seem to be on 4-6 days a week and around 14 units a day. Which is 4 bottles of strong cider. Gives me a buzz and that's about it. I always wait until late in the day before drinking and then just have a buzz for the evening. but I told myself that I need to stop. I fear i've replaced one evil with another though as I bought some weed after 2 years weed free. Oh well. In the 2 years weed free the alcohol drinking ramped up. Used to be one drinking session on a weekend. 3-6 beers. Then that became 2 days a week. Then in the 2nd year it peaked and troughed intermittently. Since losing my job it's been daily for 6 weeks now. So I have to knock it on the head. But going back to using a vaporizer and weed...that probably won't help me any either. oh the road to self destruction is awash with temptations. At least it's not tobacco and joints and smoking so I suppose there's that benefit. but I can't really justify substance use...or abuse.

Ed

Prayer for Anxiety
07-11-2014, 02:34 PM
I used to say everything to justify my drinking....

"It's just a few beers with pizza."
"I'm not getting drunk."
"I'm not a drunk."
"That dude drinks waaaaayyyy more than me."
"I'm not missing work, I pay my taxes, blah, blah, blah..."

It's all the booze talking. Kick it out the door.

AnxiousPsychGrad
07-11-2014, 03:10 PM
My boyfriend is a bartender and works five days a week, so at least that much. He doesn't like to drink, so he's always available as a designated driver. He hates that I drink that much too, but he understand that right now, it's what eases my anxiety (if only for a little while). Shots of tequila (or any hard liquor) for the most part.. Anywhere from 5 to 10, and then 6 to 12 beers a night after the shots. Really intoxicated... Not just a little. The hangover itself is not all that bad, but I do get body aches and anxiety at a MUCH intensified rate. Thing is.. I don't remember (or block the memory) of how horrible the hangover is as I drink another night. Endless cycle. Needs to be broken.

Exactice
07-11-2014, 08:06 PM
My boyfriend is a bartender and works five days a week, so at least that much. He doesn't like to drink, so he's always available as a designated driver. He hates that I drink that much too, but he understand that right now, it's what eases my anxiety (if only for a little while). Shots of tequila (or any hard liquor) for the most part.. Anywhere from 5 to 10, and then 6 to 12 beers a night after the shots. Really intoxicated... Not just a little. The hangover itself is not all that bad, but I do get body aches and anxiety at a MUCH intensified rate. Thing is.. I don't remember (or block the memory) of how horrible the hangover is as I drink another night. Endless cycle. Needs to be broken.

I did one of those when I spiraled out of control, Played in a dart tournament every Thursday and Sunday. Drank at least 5-6 beers that night and shot all night....the thing is, if you buy a round for a group, each person buys one back.....so you end up drink 5-10shots on top of the beer...... Talk about hammered.

Anyways those day are over but it started to get scary when The hangovers did bother me, but when I didnt know when or how I got home and I freaked out running to the Garage to see if I smashed my Car or my Motorcycle.........Stupid!

Anyways.....I think sensations of being drunk also amplify our Anxiety, Being hot (us Asians turn beet red LOL), Hard to breath sometimes, stuffy nose etc, Dizzy and hard to stay balanced, that feeling of loss of control. A lot of these feelings are similar to having a panic attack so our body has no Idea that is just alcohol, all it knows is that something is not right so BAM panic and anxiety.

Cold Turkey or not drinking at all is of course the best.....second best..... moderation!

ss_worrier
07-12-2014, 12:45 AM
So -- I had a couple of drinks last night in a very calm setting, and it really was only a couple. Today I feel fine and I even slept better than I have in a very long time.

What I did do, in trying to solve another anxiety problem I've had, was to cut out Facebook and limit gmail and chatting to a very minimal level. That has given me some of the most calm 24 hours I've ever had. I'm going to keep sticking to this path I think, while also being careful to limit drinking. I've made plans tonight with a friend to only have one beer or so together in a calm setting, without the people in our group of friends who more often want to party harder. I have, much in thanks to everyone who replied to this thread, realized that's what it's probably really all about, knowing who you actually are in your habits and what you like rather than to adapting what others want you to do.