PDA

View Full Version : exercise and panic attacks

bam
07-01-2014, 04:11 PM
hi guys im new to the forums, i just wanted to know if anyone had any tips for me. i have GAD and a panic disorder and ive been wanting to workout and even join a football team (practice starts in a month) and the problem isnt the anxious idea of joining the team or getting into shape but when i am doing cardio and i pay attention to my heart rate it goes faster and it triggers those panicky feelings and ive been able to control it but its been making me avoid going to the gym more often. im 14 and currently on a daily dose 30 mg of remeron and 25mg of seroquel. thanks!

JLK
07-02-2014, 07:17 AM
That's really common with anxiety. I know I've felt that before, especially if I'm getting out of breath doing something.

The only tip i have for you is do not let it stop you! You can do this. Join the football team. Think of a good phrase you can say to yourself when you're exercising and get those feelings, like "I'm strong and getting stronger." Or "i am healthy and having fun."

Not as recommended, but if that doesn't help, sometimes you need to get a bit angry with the anxiety, you know?

trinidiva
07-02-2014, 07:28 AM
Keep going with the exercise. You will find your panic attacks will decrease in number and you will start to feel better all around.

av1988
07-02-2014, 09:36 AM
I am the EXACT same way. You just have to keep asking yourself "Am I dead yet? If not, I'm still moving, so I must be okay!"

Dahila
07-02-2014, 10:39 AM
High heart beat when you do cardio is normal, Young people do have up to 200, I watch not to go over 160 but I ancient. Believe me exercise works better than benzos. :))
You are panicky now cause you worry that you do not match with your team. Do not watch when heart beat goes up, watch how fast it goes down when you go down with the resistance. It is the key. Lets say I do 9 km/h on thread mill and the heartbeat goes up like crazy, I got lover down to 5/h and the hb goes down in like minute or so. This is the way it should be. You should alternate high impact with low impact. I am older so I do 2 minutes each or three:))
You are on a good track;) good luck and be successful

Kixxi
07-02-2014, 04:15 PM
hi guys im new to the forums, i just wanted to know if anyone had any tips for me. i have GAD and a panic disorder and ive been wanting to workout and even join a football team (practice starts in a month) and the problem isnt the anxious idea of joining the team or getting into shape but when i am doing cardio and i pay attention to my heart rate it goes faster and it triggers those panicky feelings and ive been able to control it but its been making me avoid going to the gym more often. im 14 and currently on a daily dose 30 mg of remeron and 25mg of seroquel. thanks!

Hi Bam,

Not to worry this is completely normal. My therapist actually suggested heavy exercise because they can make you feel like you are having a panic attack. It is a sort of exposure that will make you see that these feelings are perfectly fine and that nothing bad will happen to you for having them. It did wonders for me :) I hope this positive spin will help you to.