PDA

View Full Version : Experienced my first panic attack...don't know where to go from here.

ghosty
06-30-2014, 09:23 AM
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting here and I haven't really spent a lot of time around the forums, but I wanted to introduce myself and my story because I really feel like I could use some advice. I've never really experienced anxiety, or at least at a level where I felt it needed to be addressed. I'm 21, I have a job that I really enjoy, a solid relationship, no serious money struggles or anything, so it really surprised me that I was hit with something like this.

Over the weekend I had my first panic attack and it kind of threw me into a tizzy. It happened at work during a really slow day, so I was initially taking it easy and chatting/joking around with my coworkers. I was sitting at my desk when all of a sudden I felt really dizzy and nauseous, and I noticed that my heart was beating abnormally fast. I checked my own pulse and it was 130. When I stood up to get some water, I really thought I was going to collapse or throw up or both. I work in an urgent care center so I expressed my concern to the medical staff and they brought me into a room right away. By the time they took my pulse it was up to 140 and my blood pressure was off the charts as well. At this point I was crying uncontrollably, totally convinced that I was going to die. I have never experienced so much dread and fear in my entire life. Like I really thought I was having a heart attack or something. The doctor immediately did an EKG and my heart rhythm was fine, so he explained to me that he believed I was having a panic attack. This seemed so strange to me because it hit me out of nowhere, untriggered. I was under the perception that panic attacks happened in stressful situations or when people were overwhelmed. I've always been really easygoing and not prone to anxiety or panic, although it runs in my family pretty strongly. As a result of my experience, I'm having a lot of fear that this will keep happening if I don't start trying to get control of it, but I'm not sure where to go from here.

From what I've read it seems like medication has helped a lot of people, but I'm a little weary about trying to take that route for a couple reasons. 1) I was misdiagnosed with bipolar disorder as a teenager and put on a lot of heavy-duty medications I truly didn't need and that affected me negatively. My mood disturbances totally stopped once I started treatment for hypothyroidism. And 2) As a result of my hypothyroidism, I experience a lot of fatigue, and I feel like the last thing I need is a medication that could make me drowsy, especially at work. So I guess my question is, what kind of routes have you taken, and what has been the most helpful to you? Should I even bother, since it only happened once?

Thanks! :)

trinidiva
06-30-2014, 09:43 AM
Sorry you experienced that. The first panic attack is always terrifying. Usually a doc will not want to start you on a med if you have only experienced one attack.....but it is a good thing that you are addressing it right away. There are plenty of CBT exercises that you can do to help control your breathing and help you learn how to calm yourself down. The meds, I think, might be a thought after you have tried the other options and they don't work.

Anne1221
06-30-2014, 10:19 AM
You can get hypothroidism addressed by getting your thyroid tested and taking the medication for it. Some coping skills include meditation, vigorous exercise, yoga, breathing exercises, etc. You might want to wait and see how things go before you try the medication.

WestCanada05
06-30-2014, 12:33 PM
The best thing you can do it address the problem right away, and don't let you mind start making up stuff like what if this is a lead up to cancer ect. After my first major panic attack which happened much like yours I began to take a steep turn down the hypochondriac route. its not a good route to take trust me. Medication can be a good solution but only as a last resort, and I would not take any medication until at least 6 months have passed. There is lots of good advice here, but keep in mind it took me a long time to truly figure out things like meditation, proper breathing, keeping a healthy mind set and letting your anxiety take its course instead of fighting it ect. It takes time lots of time and things may get worse before they get better. Also look at your diet, lifestyle, fears and relationships.

Also look at your stress, posture and exercise. I know fixing these helped me a lot.