PDA

View Full Version : Suicidal intentions and medication

EmetSoph
06-30-2014, 08:15 AM
Right... Few months ago i developed some really horrible suicidal intentions which wouldbstay with me all day and i was just waiting to kill myself basically and it was all down to this medication i was on for anxiety (fluoxetine) i was admitted to hospital and i was taken off them. Now, the thoughts have finallly subsided, they have decided to give me the same medication again but on a lower dose saying it wont happen again, im coming up to one week on it and it takes 4-6 weeks before you get an effect from them... Now.. If i get these thoughts again... Do i hide them and try an stick on them because it appartently will calm me a little (didnt last time but i dont know) or do i tell someone? Im not sure?

superchick22684
06-30-2014, 01:47 PM
I would say if you have suicidal thoughts again even on the lower dose that you definitely need to tell your doctor. Antidepressants can increase the risk of suicidal thoughts which is why there's a black box warning on them. Perhaps they can switch you to a different medication if this happens again.

EmetSoph
06-30-2014, 02:09 PM
I would say if you have suicidal thoughts again even on the lower dose that you definitely need to tell your doctor. Antidepressants can increase the risk of suicidal thoughts which is why there's a black box warning on them. Perhaps they can switch you to a different medication if this happens again.

They wont put me on anything else unless i have an ecg but i just cant do that.... Id prefer to risk suicidal thoughts again than have an ecg haha!

Exactice
06-30-2014, 02:28 PM
Hey Emet! Fluoxetine is a bear.... that thing can be brutal, took me almost 1.5 months to get through it. The first 3 weeks were hell. The suicidal thoughts hung around for days. The negative and intrusive thoughts would come at any time.

But I stuck it out! Now if the thoughts dont get better within a week of the side effects period (first 2 weeks ok, 3rd week sucks, then it should get better) and or if you really feel like you are going to take action (Suicide) then go see a doctor immediately. Dont chance it as Fluoxetine is not for everyone, some people do well with it, other dont, so dont force it if its not something you want to handle.

EmetSoph
06-30-2014, 02:38 PM
Hey Emet! Fluoxetine is a bear.... that thing can be brutal, took me almost 1.5 months to get through it. The first 3 weeks were hell. The suicidal thoughts hung around for days. The negative and intrusive thoughts would come at any time.

But I stuck it out! Now if the thoughts dont get better within a week of the side effects period (first 2 weeks ok, 3rd week sucks, then it should get better) and or if you really feel like you are going to take action (Suicide) then go see a doctor immediately. Dont chance it as Fluoxetine is not for everyone, some people do well with it, other dont, so dont force it if its not something you want to handle.

I didnt get the suidical thoughts until 4-5 weeks in though? When the tablets were i full effect... So im not sure! Last time was awful.. I started acting on it and i couldnt trust myself to go in the car because i would have just jumped out the car while the car was moving! So scary... I dont know why i have agreed to try again.. Must be mad!

Exactice
06-30-2014, 02:58 PM
I didnt get the suidical thoughts until 4-5 weeks in though? When the tablets were i full effect... So im not sure! Last time was awful.. I started acting on it and i couldnt trust myself to go in the car because i would have just jumped out the car while the car was moving! So scary... I dont know why i have agreed to try again.. Must be mad!

Hmm, well the dosages are also a factor, some people react different to the amount from my understanding. I started at 10mg and now at 20mg but didnt exceed this... so again maybe the dosage may change things.

Again though if you are acting upon it I would be very cautions. I know at one point for me I was thinking about it but never did anything even though I have access to things that could make it easy to do.

I would talk with your doctor and be as open as you can, let the docs help!

EmetSoph
06-30-2014, 03:07 PM
Hmm, well the dosages are also a factor, some people react different to the amount from my understanding. I started at 10mg and now at 20mg but didnt exceed this... so again maybe the dosage may change things.

Again though if you are acting upon it I would be very cautions. I know at one point for me I was thinking about it but never did anything even though I have access to things that could make it easy to do.

I would talk with your doctor and be as open as you can, let the docs help!

Yeah i was on 10mg then put up to 20mg but i was only on 10mg for 2 weeks and ive been put on 10mg again... They said if im okay after 6 weeks they will increase again to 20mg and i dont want that again!

Exactice
06-30-2014, 03:25 PM
I was taking 30mg of Buspar for about 2 months.... then they weened me off from 30 to 20 to 10 and then Fluoxetine 10mg for 1 week, then 20mg as of current.

10-20mg is the starting dosage so its pretty low. Again maybe Fluoxetine is not the meds for you. I would really talk to the doctor and be honest and upfront of all the side effects. Im sure there is other types of meds that you can take!

EmetSoph
06-30-2014, 03:48 PM
I was taking 30mg of Buspar for about 2 months.... then they weened me off from 30 to 20 to 10 and then Fluoxetine 10mg for 1 week, then 20mg as of current.

10-20mg is the starting dosage so its pretty low. Again maybe Fluoxetine is not the meds for you. I would really talk to the doctor and be honest and upfront of all the side effects. Im sure there is other types of meds that you can take!

Ohh i see! Well... My therapist completely understands but the doctor doesnt... Thats the problem. Well they have been idiots and each doctor ive had has left 1 month after meeting them! So im on the 4th doctor... They dot have a clue! I met her first time the other week... She mentioned an ecg and i went into a panic attack and she told me not to be so stupid... So not the best first impressions and at the moment i dont want to see her again haha! Put me off altogether! Just as i relax with one doctor they leave!?

maddie-_-
07-01-2014, 03:45 AM
you promised to tell someone! you tell someone, silly!