PDA

View Full Version : Speech when panicking

Joe.
06-29-2014, 03:23 PM
I've noticed that when I am anxious or panicking I talk really fast and therefore rushed, because of this you won't understand what I will be saying.
It can be a problem, especially at college when discussion is needed in my subjects.
Is there any way to when nervous or anxious to talk basically, like you aren't panicking?

Im-Suffering
06-29-2014, 05:35 PM
I've noticed that when I am anxious or panicking I talk really fast and therefore rushed, because of this you won't understand what I will be saying.
It can be a problem, especially at college when discussion is needed in my subjects.
Is there any way to when nervous or anxious to talk basically, like you aren't panicking?

With practice :)

Kixxi
06-29-2014, 05:55 PM
It is quite common for panic attacks and anxiety. I had the same problem in the beginning. I was hyperventilating without realising it and it went straight to my ability to speech.
A few tricks that helped me:

1. Tell people that are with you that you suffer from anxiety, most people are quite understanding and it will make you feel a bit more at ease (so you don't have to hide it)
2. Take a relaxed breath (breathing in the stomach not the chest).
3. Try speaking at a lower pace, I know it is hard during an anxiety attack, but minding your breathing during this process will definitely help you.

I realise that hiding your condition is the worst possible thing you can do. It will make you more nervous and anxious. I am currently in such a situation and it doesn't do any good for your stress levels. So I am also taking my own advice and will tell them about my anxiety. I figure as long as we hide our disorder, the less people will understand. So coming out for your problem is a big step to recovery.

Im-Suffering
06-29-2014, 06:54 PM
It is quite common for panic attacks and anxiety. I had the same problem in the beginning. I was hyperventilating without realising it and it went straight to my ability to speech.

1. Tell people that are with you that you suffer from anxiety, most people are quite understanding and it will make you feel a bit more at ease (so you don't have to hide it)
3. Try speaking at a lower pace, I know it is hard during an anxiety attack, but minding your breathing during this process will definitely help you.

I realise that hiding your condition is the worst possible thing you can do. It will make you more nervous and anxious. I am currently in such a situation and it doesn't do any good for your stress levels. So I am also taking my own advice and will tell them about my anxiety. I figure as long as we hide our disorder, the less people will understand. So coming out for your problem is a big step to recovery.

Very good !

Joe.
06-30-2014, 01:52 AM
Thanks, really good advise. I'll try to do that.
All my friends now in detail about my anxiety, I suppose I ramble about it to them; but my family don't, so much harder to tell them and It shouldn't be.

Joe.
06-30-2014, 01:53 AM
Very good !

I'm suffering, I'm struggling to figure out what your signature means with such a ambiguous statement, what's it mean XD?

Kixxi
06-30-2014, 01:59 AM
Dear Joe,

I had the same fear when I talked about my anxiety to my fiancé. I feared he would think I'm obsessing or think less of me of it. But he was wonderful in that aspect and told me that I had nothing to be ashamed of. This also applies to you. You have NOTHING to be ashamed of. Those who suffer with social anxiety or agoraphobia already worry to much about what people think of them. That is also one of the main reasons I have it ;) But think about this, the important people in your life won't love you any less for it. Nothing bad is going to happen, from now on you'll just get stronger. With a lot of practice you will master your mind and body and speaking will become natural again.

pharmacharak
06-30-2014, 04:09 AM
Hello,
Really some people are just make no sense...

Im-Suffering
06-30-2014, 04:49 AM
I'm suffering, I'm struggling to figure out what your signature means with such a ambiguous statement, what's it mean XD?

Psychosis is a loss of contact with reality that usually includes: False beliefs about what is taking place or who one is (delusions).

Sounds reasonable :)

Actually I'll fix up the SIG later, its a mistake, tho an amusing one hehe.