PDA

View Full Version : only in high school..what do i do??

meeshell10
05-29-2008, 08:43 AM
first of all i am only a junior in high school..that's kind of why i need some advice as to what to do. i have been getting these chest pains quite frequently. actually for months now but they've been getting worse and worse. i was talking to my dad the other week and he was telling me that he suffers from anxiety and that i probably have it as well. i told my mom that and she kind of just blew it off and said we can get it looked at. i was talking with my step-grandma about this and told her about all my symptons and she said that it does sound like an anxiety disorder. i've been under a lot of stress lately because we are having family issues...and a lot of other things.
so now that i am about 99% sure that i have a problem, i dont know how to actually tell me mom that i need help without her thinking im a hypochondriac or a freak. what do i do??

jeannebean
06-07-2008, 09:51 PM
i would just try to approach her and tell her that this has been bothering you and you want to talk to someone about it. im sure she would atleast give u the chance to see someone about it.

Matt_H
08-28-2008, 03:44 PM
Hey. I shot you a PM. I'm just about your age and I've been through the whole 9 yards. In and out of the mental health system, dealing with anxiety through high school. Let me know if you wanna talk, I hope maybe I can help.

I ended up dropping out of high school because of everything. I don't want this to happen to you.

punkgod94
09-07-2008, 10:04 PM
Hi, with the family problems you said you're going through it may be more helpful if you try to see a doctor on your own rather than asking for your Moms help. It seems like she is too caught up in her own problems to listen to your issues and give you the attention you need and deserve. Of course I don't know how old you are, but if you live within walking distance to a doctor, or if you have your license, I'd make an appointment with a doctor on your own and see what they say. If you have an older sibling that you trust, or a friend that has their license you could use them for rides too. Seeing a therapist can also be very helpful. You may or may not need medicine...but if you do, treat it as you would any sickness or disease and get the help you need. I've had anxiety for about 3 years and I'm an adult. It runs in the family, but my Dad to this day downplays my condition. It's hard when the people you love make your serious condition seem as though it's not as bad as it really is, or even worse, when they don't believe there's something wrong with you when you know there is. I hope this helped a little, but Matt_H can probably help you a lot more since he's been in your situation before. Good luck!!