PDA

View Full Version : Always tired..

BrookeLynnnn
06-20-2014, 05:19 PM
I am constantly tired!! No matter much sleep I get. I usually get about 8 hrs a night..

Is there anything I can do to get some life in me? No caffeine or sugar. Or anything that will make my heart race.. Lol

JohnC
06-20-2014, 06:52 PM
Is it the meds BrookeLynnn?

Anne1221
06-20-2014, 07:44 PM
I just hate to tell you this, but it could be your medication. I can't remember if you take Paxil or not, but the SSRI's can cause fatigue. It's happened to me, (Lexapro) and it happened to my nephew (Lexapro). I don't know what the answer is. For me, I got tired of being tired, so I have cut way back on my Lexapro (down to 5 mg) and added in Buspar (that one helps my anxiety but does not make me tired). But still, it seems like you've been taking it a while and I've never seen you post before that you feel tired.
When did all this tiredness come about? Does it link to taking the medication? Look at your dosage too. The higher the dose, the more the side effects you will have. The only antidepressant that doesn't make people tired is Wellbutrin, but I don't think it really helps anxiety like the SSRI's.

BrookeLynnnn
06-20-2014, 10:41 PM
I think it just started happening a few weeks ago.. I think it probably has something to do with me working & going to school full time.

Chatative
06-21-2014, 01:33 AM
I'll be starting on some SSRIs soon & I was interested to read of the tiredness that some people said they developed after their bodies got used to their medication. Some people seemed to suggest taking the medication at night would stop this happening largely speaking & even helped them sleep better.

You could try that change & see if it works. (assuming you are taking your meds in the morning.)

trinidiva
06-21-2014, 07:29 AM
When starting my SSRI, I had to ( and still, to this day) take it at night.

BrookeLynnnn
06-21-2014, 04:33 PM
I've been on my meds since early march & I've always taken it at night..

Irish Sammie
06-21-2014, 06:52 PM
It's just one of the anxiety symptoms Brooke. I've noticed over the last few weeks that my energy levels have dropped. The other day I could barely stay awake all day and I had 10 hours sleep that night. Your energy stores are getting used up twice as fast as usual given the strain your body is under. I've noticed that when I exercise more, I have longer bouts of energy throughout the day. I've been on a strict schedule for the past few weeks, but the last 3 weeks I've not been keeping to it and I think that's also a contributing factor. Getting your body used to an exact schedule will train it into acquiring the energy that it needs WHEN it's needed as opposed to acquiring it randomly. Oh, and I'm not on any meds.

Merely saying this to you now I'm starting to see where I've been going wrong the last few weeks. Thanks brooke ;)

Anne1221
06-21-2014, 06:59 PM
The only thing I ever found to counteract the fatigue from the medication was caffeine, and I know you don't want that. If you talked to your doctor, he might have some suggestions. I talked to the pharmacist today and she told me yes, my antidepressant can be making me feel tired. Since things are going well for you, you might try cutting back a little and see if less medication means more energy. I did that and it helped me. Now I'm counting on exercise to increase my energy. If you cut back, go slow! What medication do you take and how much do you take? Have you looked up the dosage ranges for the medication you take? You may want to be on the lower side rather than the higher side.

Ritch
06-21-2014, 09:09 PM
I'm personally the opposite I need the medication to sleep I take amitriptyline to sleep as much anxiety can keep me awake for up to 40 hours.

It could be a couple of things, the medication may be causing the tiredness as it can be a common side effect. It could also be you adjusting to your life being a little more busy/demanding and you are still adapting. If I don't have a busy day with lots of commitments I am wide awake, but for example when I had to go to university, travel.... socialize it gets to about 2pm and I feel ready for bed. I'm not saying it wasn't already demanding because I know anxiety is VERY demanding :) but different demands have different effects if that makes sense.... sorry it's 4am here :)

Or If you are feeling a little bit more anxious because of your new demanding life your anxiety may be spiking a little more and when it settles down you feel that bit more tired.

I think anne covered the adjustments part, she offered some very good suggestions :)

Dahila
06-22-2014, 09:35 AM
Brooke you have the reason to be tired, school and full time job. You do not eat sugar and caffeine, What about sugar in fruit? Meds will make you tired but also sugar intake. Low blood sugar; tiredness , lack of energy, shaking....excetera easy to mistake for panic or anxiety attack.
People I envy you so much, I am on sleeping pills for years. The last time I had a night sleep without meds was ten years ago :(