PDA

View Full Version : Help me out here. Conflicting strategies for anxiety.

Ankhsious
06-19-2014, 03:27 PM
Theory 1 is that anxiety is an exaggerated fear response based on 'nothing legitimate'. This would suggest that the approach is to generally ignore the fear and float through it/not empower it.

Theory 2 is that it is repressed emotions from past events trying to come out in which case it might suggest that one needs to confront these emotions and re-experience them in therapy or otherwise.

Deep down I'm quite sure theory 2 is sound but as these things bubble to the surface my anxiety approaches panic and then I am getting all kinds of false alarms as I am triggered by almost everything.

Fourteen14
06-19-2014, 03:40 PM
Theory 1 is that anxiety is an exaggerated fear response based on 'nothing legitimate'. This would suggest that the approach is to generally ignore the fear and float through it/not empower it. Theory 2 is that it is repressed emotions from past events trying to come out in which case it might suggest that one needs to confront these emotions and re-experience them in therapy or otherwise. Deep down I'm quite sure theory 2 is sound but as these things bubble to the surface my anxiety approaches panic and then I am getting all kinds of false alarms as I am triggered by almost everything.

My opinion would be that it's usually a mix of both.

The vast majority don't ever get to the true core of their cause (unless it's something quite specific) even if these are drawn forward, without techniques to ease the behavioural habits that have formed, having an understanding of cause wouldn't resolve the anxiety that has developed since. (I hope that makes sense)

The danger of regression is that often the causes are vague/maladaptive of situations that then become a subjective dumping ground of blame.

For example if someone suggests that you had a parental figure who was absent (this could be anything from the fact that a parent worked a lot, was emotionally absent or ran out on someone when they were young) all 3 situations could be interpreted as an "absent parent".

It may have nothing to do with someone's anxiety or everything, the problem is that once the suggestion is made, it can become the entire source of blame, justified or not.

Many anxieties are born of multiple factors/events/learning processes.

My personal view of treatment is that it is best to deal with the emotions and problems you face right now, and constructive ways of altering them going forward.

As NIXONRULZ once pointed out "there is a reason the windscreen is bigger than the rearview mirror".

All the best :)

Im-Suffering
06-19-2014, 04:15 PM
Theory 1 is that anxiety is an exaggerated fear response based on 'nothing legitimate'. This would suggest that the approach is to generally ignore the fear and float through it/not empower it.

Theory 2 is that it is repressed emotions from past events trying to come out in which case it might suggest that one needs to confront these emotions and re-experience them in therapy or otherwise.

Deep down I'm quite sure theory 2 is sound but as these things bubble to the surface my anxiety approaches panic and then I am getting all kinds of false alarms as I am triggered by almost everything.

I will share our views with you,

Everything is legitimate. You must validate all of it. Every single emotion, feeling, reaction (to a false belief or not), physical environs, every last bit of all aspects of you and your life are legitimate. Do not invalidate any of it. You must begin to honor yourself, beloved, care for you, care about you, love you. And should you experience foreign emotions or strange body sensations, than honor those too. Rather than fear and hate, accept and love, period.

To your body, and these words are difficult, there is no disease. There is only the natural expression of creaturehood. The cells build bodies, or chairs. Their is a constant interchange between your physical vehicle and the world outside, your atoms jump from one body to the next, there is electromagnetic energy and attraction. The DNA holds the blueprint of personhood, thus its done so quickly you only seem to be solid. Sciences would agree your cells change hands every 7 years, I am telling you, by the time you type your next word, every cell is anew. This has to do with the electron spin and what you term time. For time as you know is itself illusive.

The body sees no disease, because as explained, it knows it can build another. In the remission of cancer you see the miraculous powers of your most intimate vehicle, the body. I am saying you build bodies as easily as you build cars, and frankly, so above, so below. The archetype for all you see is first in the mind, fashioned after the cellular ability to group, and its innate expression and joy in recreating itself.

So, there is reason and rhyme. Theory 2 is correct. With anxiety the best recuperative time is sleep, where the cellular structure takes over, functioning returns to normal levels, and the ego can leave for a bit. Those of you who have trouble sleeping, the ego is fearful of leaving the body, for it fears its death is imminent should it loosen its tight control. In such cases, anxiety is made worse without the counterbalance of the body's innate healing powers. So it is most important to sleep. In sleep you have the chance to play with future probabilities, anxiety free, there in dreams, you are able to function as you wish, again helping to balance out, and serving as a new foundation for a new set of beliefs. Dreaming is highly constructive, freeing the weighted down psyche from the normal waking self.

We've said over and over here, that you must face the mirror, theory 2, not only for your edification, but to honor and validate who you are, there can be no denial.

Now, regarding theory 2 it begs to ask,-which memories are valid contributing to the current state and would be best released? Memories have an atomic atmosphere. Again this is difficult, just as a Kodak snapshots a photo, your mind gives internal memory photos the same imprint, only with an emotional atmosphere. You are looking for highly charged emotions attached to the event. So you are selectively recapitulating memories as you would flip through a roladex. Should you cry for example explore there. You are not looking for words, as in , 'my father walked out on me', you are looking for a highly charged emotional scene with the atmosphere of sadness as you vividly picture him turning his back on you, and abandonment is felt. If you are crying both then and now, you have found an area of further exploration. You would then talk and comfort that child, (you), as you understand the formation of a core belief at its inception. I am unlovable for example. Still living that repressed emotion and belief 20 years later you see, would lead to unfavorable life conditions and anxiety around people.

That is enough for now.

Anne1221
06-19-2014, 09:04 PM
Well, my anxiety doesn't have anything to do with past events. I just have an anxiety disorder, just like so many of my cousins and other family members. I think each person has to figure out for themselves. And, we're all different! I don't have health anxiety, like so many others, but I sure can worry about lots of other stuff!

Im-Suffering
06-19-2014, 09:14 PM
Well, my anxiety doesn't have anything to do with past events. I just have an anxiety disorder, just like so many of my cousins and other family members. I think each person has to figure out for themselves. And, we're all different! I don't have health anxiety, like so many others, but I sure can worry about lots of other stuff!

No........

Ponder
06-19-2014, 09:45 PM
I'm curious "I'm Suffering"

who is "OUR"?

I agree with Anne somewhat - I don't think people can just say its is this or that, although the will try - it's different for different people. I'm not going to angst over it though.

YES ... I think your right Anne.

Ankhsious
06-21-2014, 06:45 AM
I have noticed that my anxiety happens when my mind is desperately hunting down future paths of what might happen AND trying to make sure there is no overwhelming situation created. This is a somewhat natural thing for it to do because I have been down a path before with job stress that led to my first panic attack.

The clinical view of this would be that a 'worry habit' turned into a 'panic disorder'. That view is correct but incomplete.

I would say the underlying reason for the overwhelm was that my ego had falsely taken credit for my happiness and even for being loved. When it seemed this might come to an end, it falsely assumed that all happiness and love would then be taken away.

The reason the clinical view, as stated above, is incomplete is the deeper question has not been asked. Why is my self love conditional and not unconditional?

If I had unconditional self love then the consequence of what life brings is not so great whether this happens or that.

But how?

And in the mean time, I have replaced ruminating about the future with ruminating about the past trying to dig up more hurt and release it.

Im-Suffering
06-21-2014, 06:53 AM
I have noticed that my anxiety happens when my mind is desperately hunting down future paths of what might happen AND trying to make sure there is no overwhelming situation created. This is a somewhat natural thing for it to do because I have been down a path before with job stress that led to my first panic attack.

The clinical view of this would be that a 'worry habit' turned into a 'panic disorder'. That view is correct but incomplete.

I would say the underlying reason for the overwhelm was that my ego had falsely taken credit for my happiness and even for being loved. When it seemed this might come to an end, it falsely assumed that all happiness and love would then be taken away.

The reason the clinical view, as stated above, is incomplete is the deeper question has not been asked. Why is my self love conditional and not unconditional?

If I had unconditional self love then the consequence of what life brings is not so great whether this happens or that.

But how?

And in the mean time, I have replaced ruminating about the future with ruminating about the past trying to dig up more hurt and release it.

Bravo, indeed. You are dearly loved.