PDA

View Full Version : How are you dealing with your anxiety?

anx_taking_over_my_life
05-27-2008, 12:03 PM
Hello,
I'm new on this forum and already it has helped me deal with some of my fears. I seem to worry over everything and it has really been affecting my life. SOmetimes I don't even want to get out of bed in the morning so that I don't have to deal with it. I have trouble breathing sometimes, my temperature shoots right up, sometimes I feel like I want to faint because of the constant worry, and lately I've lost motivation.

So, I was wondering if anyone could please share how they are dealing with their chronic anxiety or how they gotten over theirs?

Thanks so much!

justind
05-27-2008, 07:35 PM
Hello,
To be honest, it's moment by moment. A few months ago I entered an intensive outpatient program at a psych hospital that consisted of group therapy 3 dayes a week for a few hours each day. This helped me learn skills such as breathing, emotion regulation and others than I cannot remember off the top of my head. But you may know, when you are having a very intense episode all the skills in the world won't make a difference because your rational mind is taking a backseat to your emotions. Sometimes just letting go and crying helps. Other times I have to resort to a Xanax.

Best of luck to you.

trackstar
06-02-2008, 10:23 AM
I'm new here but I just finished a cbt group that has made my panic and anxiety so much better. My therapist said it was important to let others know about our success with cbt so others can find relief with it. I have learned so much in the past 16-weeks and feel like the skills I have learned to manage my anxiety will continue to help me for the rest of my life. You really should try and join a cbt group or if you can't afford a group read some cbt books. There's a real simple one we used in my group by author sam obitz that is very reassuring and if you do the exercises you will start illiminating your anxiety in a matter of a weeks. Give cbt a try

squirt
06-16-2008, 10:31 PM
Cbt is really good if you are ready to work hard at getting better. I still do the tea form exercise all the time to manage my anxiety and they work great for me, but it takes some time to get the hang of them so you have to be ready to commit to them.

trackstar
07-30-2008, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the encouragement squirt!

Robbed
07-30-2008, 10:27 PM
Cbt is really good if you are ready to work hard at getting better. I still do the tea form exercise all the time to manage my anxiety and they work great for me, but it takes some time to get the hang of them so you have to be ready to commit to them.

On the other hand, different types of CBT work for different people. I myself find the self-analysis of TEA forms to be counterproductive - especially when flashes of anxiety are not thought-provoked. For me, trying to worry less about symptoms, accepting them, and doing things to distract myself work better than trying to 'figure things out'. Spending time in a natural setting (ie mountains, ocean, etc) seems to be particularly helpful.

LadyK
07-30-2008, 11:01 PM
I have to say that the most help I've gotten was from Claire Weekes. In particular, her book Hope and Help For Your Nerves. Something about it just clicked with me and I've been getting better everyday.

I think the most important thing is to stop looking for a quick fix. It took a long time for us to condition ourselves to be anxious and it will take some time to re-learn how to be anxiety free. It is difficult sometimes but the high that comes with it, not to mention the confidence, sometimes I feel like Wonder Woman. I often find myself, as I feel the first spark of anxiety, cackling maniacally to myself and saying, "Do your worst."

In addition to her other books, I also did relaxation sessions twice a day, and yoga at least 3 times a week. I no longer feel I need the relaxation sessions so I don't do them anymore.

And a good diet helps too, to keep your blood sugar level.

I have to also agree with Robbed about the distraction and spending time outdoors, or just outside if you lack mountains or oceans.

Jay12345
07-31-2008, 11:25 AM
Hi there..I see that you are struggling with your anxiety.. You mentioned that you don't get out of bed in the morning because you don't want to deal with it, thats a BIG mistake. The worst thing you can do is stay at home and do nothing, it will only get worse! You must FORCE yourself to go out as much as you can.. In my opinion, the only way to get better is by going out, forcing yourself to go out.. exposing yourself, and this is why your worrying so much more because your not occupying your mind. If you have nothing to think about your brain will 'drift' and you'll start worrying about anything...

This is how i got over my anxiety, i literally forced myself go out, holding my tiers back for about 2 years, i forced myself to go to college... and in time it will go.. trust me! I worried about the sypmtons, but you need to understand that it doesn't matter! you feel different, who cares! (this is what CBT does to you).. You will get better. The reason why it's so much harder (as explained in other posts) is that you can't visibily see a recovery... If you imagine having a broken leg, you can see with your eyes a improvment with recovery, and this is why anexity it's so much harder..

Don't see it as a problem, treat it as a challange... 'I will get better, it just takes time'.... Accept the negative thoughts and worries.. It doesn't mean anything, it doesn't mean it's actually going to happen..look at it like an awake nightmare.. I went through this for 4 years, and im absolutely fine now.. and you will be eventually! :)

Robbed
07-31-2008, 03:56 PM
The reason why it's so much harder (as explained in other posts) is that you can't visibily see a recovery... If you imagine having a broken leg, you can see with your eyes a improvment with recovery, and this is why anexity it's so much harder..

Don't see it as a problem, treat it as a challange... 'I will get better, it just takes time'.... Accept the negative thoughts and worries.. It doesn't mean anything, it doesn't mean it's actually going to happen..look at it like an awake nightmare.. I went through this for 4 years, and im absolutely fine now.. and you will be eventually! :)

Actually, I found that the hardest part about anxiety recovery was NOT being unable to see recovery, but rather EXTREMELY slow rate of it. As I am sure you know, 'fast' and 'anxiety recovery' just do not belong in the same sentance. If you break a leg, you are basically as good as new in a month or two. BUT, in a month or two of anxiety recovery, you might see little, if any improvement. And if you experience a setback, you might find yourself WORSE off than you were one or two (or even six) months ago.

As for believing you CAN recover, interestingly, I have found that the biggest obstacles here are actually those people who are SUPPOSED to be helping us: therapists, doctors, counselors, psychiatrists, etc! The problem is that all of these people generally consider problems like anxiety to be chronic, incurable health problems like to diabetes. All of their talk about chemical imbalances, genetics, and medications is EXTREMELY discouraging, and leads one to believe that their situation is truly hopeless. This is why I have such a hard time telling people to seek 'professional' help. These folks' fatalistic view of anxiety disorder and treatment approach (heavy on meds) only helps to insure you will NEVER truly get better.

Jay12345
08-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Couldn't agree more 'Robbed' you are absolutely right.. Having suffered with anxiety for 4 years, and recently recovered, ive never ONCE taken medication (tablets etc...) .. I believe that there are three ways to recover from anxiety.

1. GO OUT as much as you can (Exposure: For me, the most important thing i did... The more anxious i felt, the more i forced myself to go out..)

2. CBT (Understanding.. and Thought changing.. which leads you onto;
3. Acceptance... And when you accept your neally there..

'I have found that the biggest obstacles here are actually those people who are SUPPOSED to be helping us: therapists, doctors, counselors, psychiatrists, etc!. The problem is that all of these people generally consider problems like anxiety to be chronic, incurable health problems like to diabetes. All of their talk about chemical imbalances, genetics, and medications is EXTREMELY discouraging, and leads one to believe that their situation is truly hopeless'

Couldn't agree more.

I look at medication like CCTV... It blocks and monitors the situation.. Puts it on hold... but doesn't resolve anything..it doesn't actually help the core of the problem.

Coobie
08-02-2008, 10:24 PM
Everyones right for the most part.. you can't keep running.. BUT I can relate to wanting to just stay in bed all day long so you do not have to deal with it..

I get up though.. and try to find things to do to keep my mind busy..or just go somewhere that I feel safe.. parents house etc..

when I am stuck at home, like now, and its late and things are bothering me, I write it out.. its SO amazing how much better you feel when you spill your guts to some paper! So try that!